Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Tapestry vs Curio collections - Differences/Similarities

Tapestry vs Curio collections - Differences/Similarities

Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Question Tapestry vs Curio collections - Differences/Similarities

So, what is the difference between the Curio & Tapestry collection hotels ? With so many Hilton sub-brands it's tough to figure out which is which ? Both are supposed to be unique independent boutique hotels. Is that the case or is there any blurring ? They have these brands in some of the bigger US cities . What is their appeal ? Are they cheaper or more expensive than say the Homewood, Home2 or Hampton. Or should I be less adventurous and just stick with these basic Hilton brands as I would at least know what I am getting with them ? And I just hate the Tru period !
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You can read the Hilton statement about the differences in the brands when they were talking about another brand that they are going to create here:
New Hilton Brands (Likely Coming in 2018)
Curio hotels are supposed to be 4-star independent hotels; Tapestry, 3-star independent/boutique hotels. Their appeal obviously is that they are smaller more boutique type properties. They are not like Tru. I have not been dissatisfied with the curio properties I have stayed at. Maybe you should read some of the threads for the Curio and Tapestry properties to see what they are about.
Also:
https://luxegetaways.com/curio-tapestry-hilton/
https://onemileatatime.com/tapestry-...ion-by-hilton/
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks - I had no idea of the specific differentiation between Curio and Tapestry in terms of the level/quality. It always seemed blurry to me.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Thanks - I had no idea of the specific differentiation between Curio and Tapestry in terms of the level/quality. It always seemed blurry to me.
Join the club. I used to work in the hotel industry and the proliferation of brands today makes my head spin.

Then, imagine the confusion a "regular" person who thinks quality is tied to price must feel when they search for a hotel in an expensive major metropolitan area.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:20 pm

I recently stayed at the Renwick (Curio) and the Bernic (Tapestry) in NYC. I enjoyed both and feel both had far more character than Homewood or Hampton.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
LXR Collection - Independent/Boutique 5 Star properties
Curio Collection - Independent/Boutique 4 Star properties
Tapestry Collection - Independent/Boutique 3 Star properties
DJ_Iceman, hhdl and dw like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:39 am

Stars are pointless

I've stayed in some Tapestries that I like better than Curious, so I remain skeptical about the actual difference between 3 and 4 star (though the 5 star LXRs are a very noticable step above the others). And frankly I prefer Canopy over most of the Curious and Tapestries I've stayed at.

But both Curio and Tapestry are generaly nicer than Hampton and Garden Inn. Assuming the price is right, I'd pick them over most other Hilton brands, including Hilton itself. And some Curious are real gems.

Though I am a bit skeptical of Hilton's brand standards when I see some absolute terrible hotels I've stayed at under IHG or Choice Privilage reflagging as Curios and Tapestries.
Hopefully those brand moves were also accompanied by some renovation and a management overhaul...
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've only stayed at one Tapestry hotel, I just posted in a thread about it here recently, it's basically a Hilton Garden Inn with a tiny bit of panache. It was a new build/greenfield hotel (I imagine some Tapestrys are redevelopments or renovations of existing buildings, like the one someone mentioned in NYC). I've only stayed in one Curio (a lot), and it is definitely a step up (St. Louis Union Station Hotel).
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:28 pm

Have stayed in several of both and can’t tell a bit of difference between the brands.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I stayed at the Rewind Hotel (Tapestry Collection) in West Des Moines, IA for 2 nights in early October. The building is a converted Holiday Inn, and bones of its previous existence are evident in its room layout. That said, it's dressed up with a 'Rat Pack' (hence the name) aesthetic: lobby and rooms' accessories design motif was 50s - think Sinatra and Dean Martin, just on *this* side of kitsch/novelty. It was a solid stay with reasonable service and (clean, renovated) hard product and I wouldn't hesitate to return, but I would definitely agree that it falls more in line with a 3-star hotel. Heart of America, which is the Rewind's management group, also has other Tapestry properties - Revel (also in West Des Moines, hipster "urban farmer" theme it seems - think cow print) and Axis in Moline, IL - and I believe both of those hotels also were refurbs of other mid-level lines.

In *general* the Curios that I've stayed at and think of off the top of my head tend to be more "classic" in design/architecture and more centrally located in urban areas - still with a boutique feel, but perhaps a bit more classy (based on perspective) and predictable, in that sense.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Only Tapestry I've stayed at is the Distrikt in NYC. Stayed there twice and wasn't that impressed but the rate was good and location was very convenient for getting to JFK being a half block from an E station and being near the theaters.

They reopened columbus day weekend and my first stay was the day they reopened so I gave them some wiggle room thinking it was just not being prepared for reopening after being closed for well over a year and had an am ex offer for $45 off a $225 charge at a Tapestry so decided to give them another shot.

The bar/restaurant still is closed. Both times I had to ask for compensation and the first time they gave me 10K points and second stay they were going to give me double points and those still haven't posted. Not going to make a big issue out of it since Hilton points aren't that valuable anymore and I was going to eat breakfast elsewhere anyway (but would have used the credit for drinks).

What I hate is they charge a $25 resort fee which covers two drinks a day and gym access and internet access. The gym access down the street still isn't avialable and the bar is closed and I get wifi as a diamond and both times they agreed to waive the $25 a night fee.

Love the staff at this hotel. They remembered me from last time and they had a room when I got there at 10 a.m. but told me if I wanted to come back in an hour and have them hold my bags she would give me a corner king room with a mini fridge.

If they didn't charge the resort fee and gave another benefit if the restaurant is closed for lack of breakfast they'd get a lot more of my stays.

Room quality wise was nice than the doubletree next door, I'd place the room quality at a mid-range doubletree. I have to say the room was quiet for that area but I wa son an upper level room both times.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:35 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The differentiator is going to be (soft) brand standards which wouldn't be disclosed to the public, but from my experience two big things stick out:

1. HVAC-- Tapestry allows for the loud window units; Curio does not
2. Staffing-- every Tapestry I've stayed at has been lighter staffed than Curio properties. For example, I've never seen a doorman at a Tapestry property, and it's common to have only one person working the desk at times.

The other standards likely have to do with (again, soft) specifications regarding room buildouts, linens, towels, etc.
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Did day use at the Verve in Natick MA, a Tapestry hotel. Property had been a Crowne Plaza of 1980s vintage. The theme is basically 1950s-1980s kitsch, which I guess is what a Holiday Inn reflag could most easily do.

This was about a year ago, but staffing was very light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.