FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1981840-most-horrible-experience-hampton-compensation.html)

ujean Aug 6, 2019 12:13 pm

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

I will make it as short as possible, I am a Diamond Member and today I stayed in one recently constructed Hilton owned Brand hotels in Europe (Queen Room - one bed)
At night around 4:00am I wake up and realize somebody is touching me, not purposely but more accidentally.
I turn around and there is another guy sleeping in the bed next to me. I immediately jump up, turn the light on and ask the guy ... he is doing in my room. The guy is obviously drunk or high on some stuff. I go to reception and they help me get him out. Turns out his room is across mine. Everybody is dumbfounded except the guy, he thinks its his room. A further very disturbing fact is that this guy has only his underpants on and nothing else, he didnt have any stuff/phone/closes with him in my room. This happened because the door mechanism didnt work correctly. The door shuts with enough force that everybody would assume it is closed, as opposite to a very slow closing door. Fact is the door lock was placed wrongly so that in order to really close the door you would have to punch it. In the morning they offered their apologies, but nothing else. I asked for some kind of compensation, they will discuss it with the manager and get back to me. What would be a fair compensation for that? I am really unsure how I feel about what would make me feel really compensated for that experience, I am somewhere between 100k Points and two weeks paid vacation at a Maldives Hilton Conrad.

All feedback on this is highly appreciated.

Edit: I feel like I should stress the fact that this is a newly constructed hotel and that the hotel employees accepted that the door is malfunctioning and they assured me that they called maintenance to have all doors checked.

Abidjan Aug 6, 2019 12:16 pm

hmmmm

rebadc Aug 6, 2019 12:20 pm

I don't see this as Hilton's issue really.
You need to take responsibility that your door is closed correctly and dead-bolted (if equiped)

Now if the front desk had given the guy a room key or his key somehow worked on your room then that's a different issue.
Take the apology, ask for a free night, and move on.

rickg523 Aug 6, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ujean (Post 31386137)
I will make it as short as possible, I am a Diamond Member and today I stayed in one recently constructed Hilton owned Brand hotels in Europe (Queen Room - one bed)
At night around 4:00am I wake up and realize somebody is touching me, not purposely but more accidentally.
I turn around and there is another guy sleeping in the bed next to me. I immediately jump up, turn the light on and ask the guy ... he is doing in my room. The guy is obviously drunk or high on some stuff. I go to reception and they help me get him out. Turns out his room is across mine. Everybody is dumbfounded except the guy, he thinks its his room. A further very disturbing fact is that this guy has only his underpants on and nothing else, he didnt have any stuff/phone/closes with him in my room. This happened because the door mechanism didnt work correctly. The door shuts with enough force that everybody would assume it is closed, as opposite to a very slow closing door. Fact is the door lock was placed wrongly so that in order to really close the door you would have to punch it. In the morning they offered their apologies, but nothing else. I asked for some kind of compensation, they will discuss it with the manager and get back to me. What would be a fair compensation for that? I am really unsure how I feel about what would make me feel really compensated for that experience, I am somewhere between 100k Points and two weeks paid vacation at a Maldives Hilton Conrad.

You actually woke up with a guy in skivvies in bed next to you?? Like "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"?? Because the door to your room won't lock?
You shouldn't have to pay for that night at all. The hotel should have made that offer immediately, and they're heels if they didn't.
Hilton should offer some comp, not sure how much, but that's a pretty extreme thing that happened at their property. I'm thinking civil suits, maybe even criminal negligence, if you'd been a woman.

smmrfld Aug 6, 2019 12:32 pm

As with most posts of this type, I would love to hear the property's side of this interesting tale. Also interesting to note that more angst seems apparent around how much he can get out of this vs the fact someone else was in the room. :rolleyes:

COSPILOT Aug 6, 2019 12:52 pm

Even at home, I lock my door. Problem solved. So some drunk wandered into your room, you didn't make any attempt to secure the door, and you want all the money for your ignorance. Got it....

Sisosig Aug 6, 2019 1:01 pm

At night around 4:00am I wake up and realize somebody is touching me, not purposely but more accidentally. etc.

Hamptons are never Hilton owned. If you were not 100% satisfied just ask for your money back. And I want an apology for forcing me to read this.

rickg523 Aug 6, 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 31386318)
Even at home, I lock my door. Problem solved. So some drunk wandered into your room, you didn't make any attempt to secure the door, and you want all the money for your ignorance. Got it....

OP states door was faulty.
Again, I ask if OP had been female, would you still be saying just suck it up?
Well, maybe you would. But I guarantee neither Hilton, the media, nor a jury wouldn't.
I took the "100k points or two weeks in the Maldives" as facetious.

COSPILOT Aug 6, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31386416)
OP states door was faulty.
Again, I ask if OP had been female, would you still be saying just suck it up?
Well, maybe you would. But I guarantee neither Hilton, the media, nor a jury wouldn't.
I took the "100k points or two weeks in the Maldives" as facetious.

We travel often, and like home we check windows and doors prior to going to bed. We secure deadbolts for example. My wife is female, and she does the same when alone, she doesn’t ever assume the door shuts on its own, she secures it. What she doesn’t do is ask if we can sue Schlage because we didn’t do any of the above.

SanDiego1K Aug 6, 2019 2:25 pm

I would be wretching over the toilet if this happened to me. Yes, I'm a woman and the thought of awakening in my hotel bed to find a drunk man IN THE SAME BED would freak me out for many months to come. I don't understand those who appear to be putting all blame on the poster. Should they have checked that the door was locked? Yes, of course. But should the hotel have built the rooms properly so that doors closed and locked? That's a reasonable expectation. In my opinion, primary responsibility is on the hotel. I would expect a free night without even having to ask and a minimum of a cert for a free night anywhere I wanted to use them.

justpassinthru Aug 6, 2019 2:36 pm

Wouldn't the closer comparison be if your wife threw the Schlage lock but it was faulty and then she found herself in this situation? Sure she should have shaken the door to check but we could all miss it. I have twice seen deadbolts fail (handle turns but no bolt travels across). I am not sure I agree with OP that money or points are going to make this better but if a free night somehow makes it better for him that might be reasonable.

craz Aug 6, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 31386715)
I would be wretching over the toilet if this happened to me. Yes, I'm a woman and the thought of awakening in my hotel bed to find a drunk man IN THE SAME BED would freak me out for many months to come. I don't understand those who appear to be putting all blame on the poster. Should they have checked that the door was locked? Yes, of course. But should the hotel have built the rooms properly so that doors closed and locked? That's a reasonable expectation. In my opinion, primary responsibility is on the hotel. I would expect a free night without even having to ask and a minimum of a cert for a free night anywhere I wanted to use them.

I agree with you, But 1- the OP was fully aware there was a major problem with the door , why didnt they ask to switch rooms, if all the rooms were the same why not simply go to another hotel

2nd 100k or 2 weeks at Maldives Conrad the OP might as well ask for a 1st class tkt for 2 to get there as well

Id say a min the night comped and maybe enough points to cover what it costs to stay at that hotel as well = 2 free nights at the Cat level of that hotel. or if a rev stay then a full refund of the $$ paid and points to cover a free night at the same Cat as that hotel

COSPILOT Aug 6, 2019 2:56 pm

I guess we are unique, in that we yank on the door, both when leaving and arriving to confirm it shut and locked, at home, in a hotel, or a condo. But yes my wife would be freaked out, however she secures the door, including the chain thing, so someone would have to overcome all of that in order to come in. I would say about 10% of the hotel rooms I stay in has a door that doesn't fully shut on its own, I have to help it. No big deal, but I value my security and I confirm its closed and secured. I've yet to see a deadbolt or chain somehow reverse themselves, and drunks and hotels are so frequent I often wonder why bartenders don't cut people off as they can't even remember what floor they are on, let alone room #.

So sounds like a door wasn't confirmed shut and secured, and some horribly drunk person went to bed, so intoxicated that he didn't know anything in the moment. Scary, but not the hotels fault, for lack of effort on the OP.

Finkface Aug 6, 2019 3:00 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31386179)
You actually woke up with a guy in skivvies in bed next to you?? Like "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"?? .....

OskiBear Aug 6, 2019 3:21 pm

Doesn't Hampton still have the 100% satisfaction guaranteed offer? I remember complaining about something minor once and they simply comped the room.

That said, if OP was aware of the door not closing/latching properly, there should have been an immediate conversation with the front desk upon discovery. I would NEVER go to bed (or even stay in the room awake) if it didn't properly latch.

In the rare instances where I've stayed in a room in a "inn" that didn't have a functioning deadbolt, I've usually moved some furniture in front of the door. It may not completely stop someone, but should be enough deterrent to avoid inadvertent walk-ins and would also wake me up. I never understand why people don't automatically latch the deadbolt/security device as a matter of habit when walking into the room.