Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

Old Aug 9, 19, 1:25 am

Hotels have to expect guests from different kind of countries and regions. Not all of us are used to live in areas with high crime.

I usually don‘t lock the door of my hotel room, because I expect that it can‘t open easily, when the door is closed.

And I‘m not the most fearless person in the world. I.e. in Sweden people are wondering why I lock my car or the front door of my holiday home, when leaving for shopping.

But the OP can‘t expect too much compensation, because there is a limit for it. Getting money back and maybe some points (max. 20,000) could be possible.
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:53 am

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Reverse happened to me in Conrad Singapore. I was given a room key to someone else's room

Second was cleaning staff in the Doubletree in Penang, kept leaving my door open after cleaning the room due to dodgy deadlock. Quick scary.

Both Pretty bad I thought.

I got a box of chocolates to say sorry from Conrad and offer of dinner in Doubletree. I wish I'd asked for something else - they did say, let them know next time I am staying and they'll do something.

Needless to say, I haven't been back to either when I've been back in both places.

Issue is a Hampton can't really do major comp, but comp the room.

Does sound traumatic though, but hopefully OP sees the funny side and has a great hotel horror story to tell in the future.
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Not even at a Tribute Portfolio either - the stay was bad, we were given keys to someone's room, after the FDC thinks we were idiots who have no idea how to operated a key operated lift.

Compensation? Of course not, again we are in Europe, we paid for a room and we got it, we complained at check-out and got nothing. I mentioned it to Marriott because the stay wasn't posted after 3 weeks and I told them about the stay and they gave us 15000 points.
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHONORS
Got 40k
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ujean View Post
Got 40k
I assume they refunded you whatever means you used to pay for the night besides the 40K

Thats alot more then I expected them to cough up

Generally how many pts does it take fora free night at that hotel, since you dont want to publish the name of the hotel no way for any of us to look it up
Lastly thanks for not being a 1 post wonder, many folks will come on FT Rant away and then fade into the dust never coming back again
COSPILOT, Cymro and Finkface like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by craz View Post
I assume they refunded you whatever means you used to pay for the night besides the 40K

Thats alot more then I expected them to cough up

Generally how many pts does it take fora free night at that hotel, since you dont want to publish the name of the hotel no way for any of us to look it up
Lastly thanks for not being a 1 post wonder, many folks will come on FT Rant away and then fade into the dust never coming back again
I wouldn’t assume that - I interpreted it as 40k points in lieu of any other compensation. Agreed on the follow-up though; it’s much appreciated.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post

I wouldn’t assume that - I interpreted it as 40k points in lieu of any other compensation. Agreed on the follow-up though; it’s much appreciated.
Same here, on both counts. And 40k seems decent to me. It’s a Hampton, not a Conrad.
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Probably 40k/night.
Old Aug 25, 19, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ujean View Post
Got 40k
Not quite 100,000 points or a week in the Maldives.

Next time, close the door, and use the security latch on it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 11:28 pm

I think the manager is not thinking straight here. We can chastise the OP endlessly for whatever you feel he should have done but that doesn't change the fact that a faulty lock allowed a stranger IN BED WITH HIM.
How could they even think about charging for that room night?? Some points, heck Hilton gives way more for much less
They should have fallen all over them selves trying to make it up to the OP in the hopes he didn't spread it all over FT and other social media and make his hotel look really awful.
Zurich and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Everybody has responsibilities here. However, what’s the stranger‘s responsibility having walked straight into a room and BED he definitely was not entitled to, under no circumstances?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
Everybody has responsibilities here. However, what’s the stranger‘s responsibility having walked straight into a room and BED he definitely was not entitled to, under no circumstances?
This is a good example as to why people should know when to stop drinking for the night and not get s***face drunk. He, too, put his life in danger by going into somebody's occupied room in the middle of the night. My question is... did this drunk guy deadbolt the door and employ the safety latch after he entered the room? Cause that would be ironic.

As for the OP, the hotel should have comped you the room night based upon Hampton's "100% satisfaction" policy. 100K points? That's a bit too much. And I hope you did not say you wanted 100K points to the management because you are planning a trip to the Maldives. The 40K points they gave you seems reasonable. Also, just out of curiosity. How is it that you slept though someone drunk coming into your room, taking off their clothes, getting into bed with you and not have woken up?
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Thanks for this thread reminding me to check deadbolts as soon as I get into a hotel room. Recently discovered the deadbolt didn’t work at a Hilton. Called guest services and maintenance was able to immediately repair. Luckily I didn’t have to move (from my upgraded room) or be stuck in a room knowing the lock wasn’t functioning (or making the decision to walk if the property was sold out).
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This thread slays.

If OP got his stay refunded (the 100% guarantee) and 40k, that seems about fair. As we all know, 40k HH is worth about $200 these days so it's not like he made out like a bandit.
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Glad this got resurrected. Time for some more popcorn before the thread gets locked......
DiverDave likes this.

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Sep 25, 19 at 5:24 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: