Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:37 am

OP, we've noticed that things operate differently in different parts of the world. For example, here in Poland, we had a woman & her daughter gain entrance into our hotel suite that we had booked for an entire month. My teenage daughter was pretty freaked out tbh and the staff apologized for the mistake which appears to have been a translation issue. We've also previously had maid service walk right in without even knocking. Thankfully neither of these situations are common per se, but mistakes do happen. I'd be frustrated also so you do have my empathy, but at the same time no actual harm occurred. I think you have to pick your battles. In this situation let them give you a free room or whatever, but you've gotta just chalk it up to international travel and move on.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

What a terrible and alarming experience. All I can really add is to say it’s a reasonable expection that the room door latches secure whenever the occupant closes it. There are technical reasons for this

• Security (obviously)
  • Fire and smoke separation
  • Acoustic separation

If the lock mechanism fails to latch and secure the door, all of the criteria above will be compromised.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I really hope that your job isn’t in user interface design

I’m going to assume that the OP has stayed at many hotels and is competent enough to generally close a door. This seems an entirely fair and reasonable assumption given this forum (we’re not YouTube Comments) and so the way the hotel is currently setup probably means a lot of people (either overall or in that room) are unintentionally sleeping with their doors open. Not ok, “broken” or not.
Given that is OPs first post, and that I, myself, have made the mistake of not shutting the door completely, I won't make the same assumption as you- particularly when the language of the post suggests otherwise.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHONORS
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Given that is OPs first post, and that I, myself, have made the mistake of not shutting the door completely, I won't make the same assumption as you- particularly when the language of the post suggests otherwise.
For the last 7 years I stayed on average 50% of the nights in hotels. I work in consulting.

Again, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that everyone posting here would also assume that the door is shut, because
  1. it closes with a lot of force and a loud BAM sound
  2. The hotel is brand new
  3. They have the newest iteration of locks that also work with digital key via Hilton App

​​​​
indufan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHONORS
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I note this odd story is the first post of someone who joined Flyertalk yesterday.
i joined to share this story. Had no need to talk about miles and points before.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I think the property should be mentioned here if even just to warn other travelers reading the post that the hotel might have issues with it's doors latching correctly without being forced shut. I typically check my doors but I'm sure we've all rushed into a room either to rush to the bathroom to relieve ourselves or to answer a phone or something like that and in haste just let the door close on it's own. It happens! I'm going to assume the property is in Germany based on some comments above.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:43 am

That would be a pretty unsettling experience but in my experience it's not really uncommon for a hotel door to need a firm push to close properly.
I try and make sure to flip the security latch when I shut the door.
Compensation? I'd expect the night to be comped per the 100% guarantee.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Oh, so have I. I stay in hotels 250+ nights a year and I've definitely been in some rooms where I go through the normal process of opening and closing a door and find that even though a door may appear to be closed I haven't given it some extra push or handle twist and so the door is actually still open. I don't particularly blame myself for that...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
99% of this is best dealt with this on the spot.

Stranger in one's room without permission in the middle of the night = Call 911 immediately. Then the front desk and whatever else you want done. If it wasn't important enough to involve law enforcement, it wasn't a big deal.

Lesson for the broader FT community? Safety & security matters. Check the door and windows / balcony as well as lights on arrival. If anything is sub par, either switch rooms or know that the defect is there.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Been in plenty of hotels where you had to push/pull the door a little to get it to latch - just letting it slam didn't do the trick.
Two very simple lessons here:
1) when exiting the room, check to make sure your door locked from the outside.
2) when entering your room, use the deadbolt and security latch.

Two very simple items here that could have prevented this.

I do agree hotel should refund the night per 100% satisfaction guarantee
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see the property name mentioned. Can you kindly furnish us with the name and location?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: DL PM etc
The OP is not a crybaby. This was an outrageous failure by the hotel, and it led to a troubling invasion which left the sleeping OP open to assault or other crime. What do you all think a hotel guest is buying when they stay at a hotel? A room, for one's exclusive use, with a locking door. It's the most fundamental, basic expectation of any consumer outside of a youth hostel. The fact that OP might have been able to investigate the door and discover the faulty latch before going to sleep does not change the fact that the hotel ultimately failed in its most basic obligation. The OP essentially got nothing for what the OP spent on that night's stay. The door did not operate as any reasonable consumer would expect: you let the door self close, it fully latches, and requires a key to open from the outside. Should have, would have, could haves are just noise. Zero fault on the OP here.
indufan, camsean, Cymro and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by storewanderer
The important thing here is you learned something. You never should have trusted hotel doors in the first place. It may sound silly in retrospect but looking back on this situation at a later date, you will realize you were naive in the first place to trust the hotel door would latch.
So again, you learned something here. You learned you need to check hotel doors before you exit and after you enter. These doors malfunction more often than you'd think. Also why didn't you use the security latch/deadbolt while you were in the room? Again, another lesson for you.
I am confident in the future you will check the doors, latches, and use the deadbolt. You learn these things as you have situations when traveling. Nobody said learning is easy.
With all due respect, this is exactly the sort of attitude that leads newbies not to come back here. There’s really no need to be so condescending about it. Yes, of course the OP will check now, but that doesn’t change the fact that one should reasonably expect a door latch to work properly, and the hotel absolutely should have comped the night without hesitation rather than taking such a cavalier ("we'll get back to you on that") attitude about it, considering the potential consequences here.

Really, I was pretty shocked to see 3 of the first 5 or so replies siding with the hotel and blaming the OP entirely, although I suppose I shouldn’t be.
iluv2fly, wrp96, Cymro and 2 others like this.

Last edited by strickerj; Aug 7, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Nhilar
Unfortunately, in this day and age the only legal and socially acceptable way to communicate displeasure and reduce the chance of a repeat performance is to demand compensation of points/cash/nights...it is the way it is, no other way to effectively communicate with buisness entities.
Absolutely. Call me cynical, but social media is the only way customers have any leverage with these mega-corporations, now that they’ve consolidated to the point of there no longer being any real competition in some markets.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
It really isn't clear the hotel did something wrong at all. I agree that this is a terrible experience, but a door that requires pushing closed rather than just letting it slam isn't "faulty."
I think there is an error on the part of the hotel, made during final inspection with the construction contractor (it was stated that this is a new hotel). Usually, the final inspection is conducted with, among others, hotel management in attendance. All doors should have been checked for proper operation at that time. Any irregularities should have been repaired before the contractor's work was accepted as satisfactorily completed and final payment made. My two assumptions are (1) that the construction contract required that all rooms and associated components functioned as expected following construction, and (2) that if the door failed during OP's stay, it would have failed during a final inspection. "Functioning as expected" means that a door should close and lock by itself without application of external force. If the design provided for a different type of operation, then perhaps the hotel should be required to advise all guests that room doors do not close by themselves and require action by guests to ensure they are locked.

Per the OP's edit: I feel like I should stress the fact that this is a newly constructed hotel and that the hotel employees accepted that the door is malfunctioning and they assured me that they called maintenance to have all doors checked. If true, this is a major fail on the hotel's part and might well constitute an act of negligence. "Yeah, we knew that door wasn't working like it should but we opened for business anyway, without fixing it."

The statement that the hotel had their maintenance people check all doors suggests that this was done after they opened for business, i.e., the contractor was long gone by then.

All that said, one learning point for the OP for next time is to ensure that s/he affirmatively checks the door for proper locking from both outside and inside the room, every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.