Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did the police do when you called them?
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHONORS
All right, thanks to everybody for the answers so far.
​​
First, no of course I did not know that the door was faulty beforehand.

Second, nice that some of you have the instinct to double close everything. I bet you also test all of the 100 functions of a rental car before you start. I use the deadbolt only to make sure that cleaning does not come in unexpected if I stay longer than until early morning in the hotel. I expect the MAIN security function of a door to work. Also that feeling might be based on geography. Don't know many people who lock the door in hotels (or at home while present) in Germany.

Third, night expenses reimbursed? That would be 100€. That doesn't get me anywhere. Maybe you do not realize but the experience in itself is very very much disturbing. I imagine myself to have a strong mental stability and I do not develop anxieties and not many things can shake me up, but I can't say that I feel very well after the encounter, for example I am.at home right now and it's bedtime, but I can't sleep. Other people would be afraid to enter a hotel again after such an experience.

Fourth, you do realize that deadbolting or using extra measures works only from within the room. According to many arguments here it's totally fine and not the hotels fault that the door is accessible to everybody during my absence during the day?

And last, of course I don't expect a huge compensation, but 5000 points or a free night is just laughable for something that isn't that far away from sexual assault under some circumstances (e.g. if my gender was different). Please don't start a discussion what the legal definition of these words are, I am not a lawyer. That is not the point, the point is, I feel violated in a sense, disgusted, and unsafe due to a false installation of a door frame. How can you argue that it is not the hotels fault. That is their only job. After this, I now also live in world like you, in which I am afraid of people entering my room due to faulty installations, and I will use the deadbolt and the locking mechanism, and I will make double sure that the door is locked. Do you realise now what this did to me? Losing trust in something that you trusted before is not the best feeling.
aztimm, tropikey, rickg523 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
If I had a dollar for every time a hotel door springs shut but doesn't actually close... I've encountered that all sorts of hotels, old and new, low-end to high-end. Unfortunate as the incident is, I guess it stresses the onus is on the guest to double check and deadbolt the door. I agree with others: OP can expect the cash/points equivalent to a free night and no more.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHONORS
Originally Posted by Often1
What did the police do when you called them?
Police was not involved
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I would be wretching over the toilet if this happened to me. Yes, I'm a woman and the thought of awakening in my hotel bed to find a drunk man IN THE SAME BED would freak me out for many months to come. I don't understand those who appear to be putting all blame on the poster. Should they have checked that the door was locked? Yes, of course. But should the hotel have built the rooms properly so that doors closed and locked? That's a reasonable expectation. In my opinion, primary responsibility is on the hotel. I would expect a free night without even having to ask and a minimum of a cert for a free night anywhere I wanted to use them.
Completely agree. The hotel owner is primarily at fault here; hotel doors should automatically lock when closed. It’s a basic expectation at any hotel. At worst, OP is maybe 5% at fault here not bolting the door. I’d expect that stay to be comped and for the hotel to give some additional gesture (cat 1-8 cert, a big chunk of miles, etc). If they offer nothing, I’d feel insulted and ignored and would consider pursuing the matter in small claims court.

Additionally, reading this story really skeeved me out. Though I’m a man, I’d have found this situation quite upsetting and just really gross. I’d be furious (primarily at the hotel) if this happened to me — upset about both the invasion of privacy and the hotel’s indifference and negligence.
estnet and altabello like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ujean

Second, nice that some of you have the instinct to double close everything. I bet you also test all of the 100 functions of a rental car before you start. I use the deadbolt only to make sure that cleaning does not come in unexpected if I stay longer than until early morning in the hotel. I expect the MAIN security function of a door to work. Also that feeling might be based on geography. Don't know many people who lock the door in hotels (or at home while present) in Germany.
Given the fact that door keys are so readily given out, I don't think it's actually reasonable to think one is completely safe and secure in a hotel room with simply the door shut and automatic lock engaged. On more than one occasion, I've been checked into and given a key to a room that was already occupied. Upon opening the door, I could see that it and was very discomforting. Hence why it would seem reasonable for one to ensure the deadbolt is engaged when in the room.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I understand the frustration, and if it were to happen to me the other person might likely end up dead. But short of the hotel having someone verify your credentials at each and every room because you assumed the door shut I don't see what can be done. My kids slammed the front door pretty hard last week, enough that it caused my automated deadbolt to not have the ability to engage. No big deal as it only took seconds to fix, but that is my home, and once again I secure it before going to bed. Are you asking that staff confirm functioning door closers for each and every room every day? That is a lot to ask, or you could take 1/2 second and secure the door, no need to wake up to a drunk next to you.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Third, night expenses reimbursed? That would be 100€. That doesn't get me anywhere. Maybe you do not realize but the experience in itself is very very much disturbing. I imagine myself to have a strong mental stability and I do not develop anxieties and not many things can shake me up, but I can't say that I feel very well after the encounter, for example I am.at home right now and it's bedtime, but I can't sleep. Other people would be afraid to enter a hotel again after such an experience.

And last, of course I don't expect a huge compensation, but 5000 points or a free night is just laughable for something that isn't that far away from sexual assault under some circumstances (e.g. if my gender was different). Please don't start a discussion what the legal definition of these words are, I am not a lawyer. That is not the point, the point is, I feel violated in a sense, disgusted, and unsafe due to a false installation of a door frame. How can you argue that it is not the hotels fault. That is their only job. After this, I now also live in world like you, in which I am afraid of people entering my room due to faulty installations, and I will use the deadbolt and the locking mechanism, and I will make double sure that the door is locked. Do you realise now what this did to me? Losing trust in something that you trusted before is not the best feeling.
So why not forget about the Hotel compensating you and sue the hotel in court? Probably not worth it since youd need alot of luck convincing a judge or jury that you have been harmed mentally, especially if you ended up staying in then room after they got the drunk out of there

Im not trying to poo-poo you. 2 years ago as I was crossing a street in a marked crosswalk with the Right of Way a car turns right and smacks into me and sent me flying a number of feet. MRIs showed nothing broken but walking wasnt easy and I still cross that same street almost everyday. Most attorneys werent interested in the case since I didnt need any surgery etc etc, My point is after a number of years from now her ins company will throw a small bone to get me to go away, it wont be anything large and wont properly compensate me for what I went thru and I will continue to have problems with my knee

So too by you the hotel will refund you the means you paid for the night and throw a small bone your way 100K no way (could be Im wrong) and like me it wont ever be near worth it for what you went thru. But I cant feel that in order to get what you feel you are entitled to you will need to sue them wait years to settle and end up with not much after the lawyer gets their share and costs are paid off. Could be things in Germany run differently then here in The US

So unless you have been and continue to see a shrink for months on end (probably having to lay out the money for that) and miss work etc etc you wont have a case that should produce a large payout, unless you can convince the Hotel otherwise. And with most Hotels being part of a franchise group that own many hotels and have lawyers on staff , they can let it run and take as long as it does till you give up. Do you have proof that you havent been able to go back to work? that you mental capacity is in bad shape etc etc, you shouldnt expect any pay day.especially The Maldives @ 95K a night, unless its owned by the same folks as your Hampton

I will never be happy with what ever the ins company eventually gives me and you too wont be a happy camper , unless you can prove youre in a very sad shape and not being able to function as a normal person can
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:12 pm

Stuff happens when you travel...time to move on. The property may toss you a bone to facilitate this process. Best if you avoid this hotel in the future, IMO, so you don’t cause yourself further agony.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
As with most posts of this type, I would love to hear the property's side of this interesting tale. Also interesting to note that more angst seems apparent around how much he can get out of this vs the fact someone else was in the room.
Unfortunately, in this day and age the only legal and socially acceptable way to communicate displeasure and reduce the chance of a repeat performance is to demand compensation of points/cash/nights...it is the way it is, no other way to effectively communicate with buisness entities.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: marketing
I will make it as short as possible, I am a Diamond Member and today I stayed in one recently constructed Hilton owned Brand hotels in Europe (Queen Room - one bed)
At night around 4:00am I wake up and realize somebody is touching me, not purposely but more accidentally.
I turn around and there is another guy sleeping in the bed next to me. I immediately jump up, turn the light on and ask the guy ... he is doing in my room. The guy is obviously drunk or high on some stuff. I go to reception and they help me get him out. Turns out his room is across mine. Everybody is dumbfounded except the guy, he thinks its his room. A further very disturbing fact is that this guy has only his underpants on and nothing else, he didnt have any stuff/phone/closes with him in my room. This happened because the door mechanism didnt work correctly. The door shuts with enough force that everybody would assume it is closed, as opposite to a very slow closing door. Fact is the door lock was placed wrongly so that in order to really close the door you would have to punch it. In the morning they offered their apologies, but nothing else. I asked for some kind of compensation, they will discuss it with the manager and get back to me. What would be a fair compensation for that? I am really unsure how I feel about what would make me feel really compensated for that experience, I am somewhere between 100k Points and two weeks paid vacation at a Maldives Hilton Conrad.

All feedback on this is highly appreciated.

Edit: I feel like I should stress the fact that this is a newly constructed hotel and that the hotel employees accepted that the door is malfunctioning and they assured me that they called maintenance to have all doors checked.
How strange and, of course, scary it might be to get into a room instead of a drunken man, with a certain stranglehold, and it's a pity to say those famous hotels are a little colder just because of the confidence they have in their reputation. I remember staying at a hotel in Canada a few years ago and my room had a plumbing problem. I used to tell them that they thought no one cared and you wouldn't believe that at the end of my search I found a pipe repairer and called Make the plumbing to be comfortable for the rest of my stay.
They have to be put in the fray.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:38 pm

Can’t really argue with the previous post.
Tomphot and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nhilar
Unfortunately, in this day and age the only legal and socially acceptable way to communicate displeasure and reduce the chance of a repeat performance is to demand compensation of points/cash/nights...it is the way it is, no other way to effectively communicate with buisness entities.
This is a sadly naive viewpoint, IMO. I pity the travel industry staff you encounter on your journeys if you consider this type of extortion to be an acceptable way to express displeasure.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

This is a sadly naive viewpoint, IMO. I pity the travel industry staff you encounter on your journeys if you consider this type of extortion to be an acceptable way to express displeasure.
Really? I suppose you just complain to management? Write to Corporate? Get vague promises of it never happening again? If there is no skin in the game there is no motivation to change...for anything in life....if a particular property keeps making mistakes and it keeps costing coperate, they WILL make positive changes. The language of buisness is money, you must speak this language to effect change. If that door cost the hotel a weeks revenue on that room, it would probably be fixed the next day.
iluv2fly, strickerj and Katamarino like this.

Last edited by Nhilar; Aug 6, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nhilar
Really? I suppose you just complain to management? Write to Corporate? Get vague promises of it never happening again? If there is no skin in the game there is no motivation to change...for anything in life....if a particular property keeps making mistakes and it keeps costing coperate, they WILL make positive changes. The language of buisness is money, you must speak this language to effect change. If that door cost the hotel a weeks revenue on that room, it would probably be fixed the next day.
What a sad way to go through life.
BigFishDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.