Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Separately paid meals for breakfast in 5 stars hotel

Old Jul 31, 19, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Hello,
Iím writing here because I have a concern about the meals that should be included in breakfast in the Hilton Hotels.

I recently stayed in Curio Siena (Italy) and I found out that such general meals as omelette, bullís eye egg, pancake, orange juice, etc. have to be payed separately. This rule applies even if the breakfast is included in the room rate and even if the guest has a Diamond status. This is the first time I face this rule in a five star hotel of Hilton group. Moreover, I stayed in this particular hotel a lot of times and all those meals were always complimentary.

Iíd like to highlight that the most unpleasant experience is that thereís no menus on the table and waiters donít inform you about the extra charge when you order something, but they bring you a bill once you finish breakfast.

Whatís your opinion about that?
Did anyone experience something similar?
Old Jul 31, 19, 12:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Haven’t experienced this but if I do, I’d simply ask upon checking out for these charges to be removed as my room or status included breakfast. If they say the free breakfast doesn’t include X, I would reply that I wasn’t informed of any prices before ordering.
JJeffrey and gianlucat like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 1:40 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
Never saw that anywhere in the Hilton chain.
I agree with davie355: ask for the charges to be removed at check-in on the basis you were not informed of the prices before ordering. Document everything carefully: keep your reservation email where it says breakfast included, make screen capture of the app booking, make picture of the table without menu, take picture of the bills.
If the hotel refused to waive the charges, refuse to sign the portfolio and final bill (write down on it that you refuse the extra charges, and document that) and once you are back home, contact your credit card company to get a charge back of the extra charges.
gianlucat likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers. When I expressed my concerns and asked for the email of food&beverage manager, a waiter came back saying that they removed the charge from my bill, gave me a menu and distributed some menus on the other tables.

However, my dismay is: how could be possible in a 5 stars hotel, even if the breakfast is included in the room rate and even if the guest has a Diamond status, things as omelette or orange juice have to be payed separately?
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Star ratings are decided by hotel associations in individual countries. So as for your comment on 5 stars, you would need to investigate what the criteria for 5 stars in Italy is. It may not say anything about whether items can be charged separately. I find that the more expensive the hotel the more things they want to charge you for.

Diamond status entitles you to continental breakfast, so the rules state that things like omelettes can be separately charged for. In practice many Hiltons don't charge diamonds for them, but some do.

If breakfast is included in the rate it really depends on what the hotel advertised as its breakfast at the time of booking. I doubt they stated the breakfast would definitely include an omelette?

I am confused about how you managed to order something without a menu. If there is a buffet I would assume that ordered items are chargeable unless told otherwise - but with no menus on the table the waiters should really have explained the charges when ordering and thus it was right of them to remove the charges.

I do agree that it is very poor for any hotel, even a 1 star hotel, in a European country to charge for orange juice separately from breakfast!
JJeffrey, gianlucat and Beano like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Star ratings are decided by hotel associations in individual countries. So as for your comment on 5 stars, you would need to investigate what the criteria for 5 stars in Italy is. It may not say anything about whether items can be charged separately. I find that the more expensive the hotel the more things they want to charge you for.

Diamond status entitles you to continental breakfast, so the rules state that things like omelettes can be separately charged for. In practice many Hiltons don't charge diamonds for them, but some do.

If breakfast is included in the rate it really depends on what the hotel advertised as its breakfast at the time of booking. I doubt they stated the breakfast would definitely include an omelette?

I am confused about how you managed to order something without a menu. If there is a buffet I would assume that ordered items are chargeable unless told otherwise - but with no menus on the table the waiters should really have explained the charges when ordering and thus it was right of them to remove the charges.

I do agree that it is very poor for any hotel, even a 1 star hotel, in a European country to charge for orange juice separately from breakfast!
If breakfast was included in the rate, the hotel restaurant staff should provide what is included and explain what isn't.

A little research on that hotel would suggest that poor service is their standard.

I stay often at a hotel that has changed what their breakfast offering is for Diamonds. It used to be a free buffet and then they changed it to free cold buffet with a $5 surcharge for hot items. They carefully explained it. I don't have to like the change, but I can't fault their service. I would have been angry if they had not informed me and then charged $5 after the fact.

The hotel was wrong. They admitted they were wrong when they removed the charge. I don't see a need to rake the customer over the coals.
gianlucat likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
This is one of the two things I dislike about Hilton:
1, free continental breakfast VS free breakfast; and
2, ever decrease number of properties with Executive lounge, or those with lounges degrade its own offering to make it worse than a staff canteen.

I hope Hilton can come up with something to make sure any hotel carry Hilton brand should have a reputable executive lounge. Hotels that does not have a lounge should use brands like Curio or Doubletree.
gianlucat likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:41 am

The hotel corrected its error. Time for OP to move on, IMO. Not worth the angst.
gianlucat likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post

When the waiter asked me: ďcan I bring anything to drink?Ē I replied: ď orange juice, pleaseĒ.
Then I understood that something like cappuccino is for free, but not orange juice.

And yes, Iím sorry that the standard is going to be this, having extra charge for everything.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
The hotel corrected its error. Time for OP to move on, IMO. Not worth the angst.
I do agree, but I also wanted your opinion if itís a common practice to charge extra for those, as it was first time I face this rule in a five stars hotel.

Search this Thread