Do Hilton points still expire? (2019)

Old Jul 19, 19, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Do Hilton points still expire? (2019)

Historically points expired after 12 months, though elites and CC holders never expire - these were written in Hilton T&C. However, I can no longer find any verbiage about expiration either in their FAQ or T&C. Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what's the latest policy?
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Historically points expired after 12 months, though elites and CC holders never expire - these were written in Hilton T&C. However, I can no longer find any verbiage about expiration either in their FAQ or T&C. Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what's the latest policy?
Still there; hasn't changed. See T&C under General, #13:
13. Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.
italdesign likes this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Does having the credit card even if you don't use it, keep the points from expiring (like the United card does)?
Old Aug 10, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: HH D; IHG G
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Historically points expired after 12 months, though elites (..) never expire (..)
This sounds more like IHG Rewards Points. (Club level membership points will expire after 12 months if there's no account activity.) Isn't it with Hilton that you can become Silver/Gold/Diamond in January 2020, stay on that level until March 2022, but your points will expire in Feb 2021 if you don't have any point activity?

How does it work with Lifetime Diamonds? Do they still have the activity requirement?
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Regarding the matter, converting some points from Amex Membership Rewards to HiltonHonors could be considered an "eligible activity" in order to prevent points from expiring?
thanks all
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
Regarding the matter, converting some points from Amex Membership Rewards to HiltonHonors could be considered an "eligible activity" in order to prevent points from expiring?
thanks all
Yes, I've read that it does although it's not a very valuable use of MR points.

Can anyone please confirm if have a Hilton cc keeps the points from expiring even if you don't use the cc?
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
Can anyone please confirm if have a Hilton cc keeps the points from expiring even if you don't use the cc?
I see nothing in the AmEx T&Cs to suggest simply having a Hilton card keeps points from expiring. AFAIK, you still need some sort of activity every 12 months.

See also: How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Last edited by Petdog; Aug 16, 19 at 7:49 pm Reason: Added link to relevant thread
Old Aug 25, 19, 8:43 pm

Major update on expiring points. Every customer service agent, diamond rep, guest assist agent - even the ones who handled issues that get to Hilton's executives - has been told that they should encourage members who forfeit points to go to the Honors site and buy them back. (I believe it costs $0.0020 or $0.0025 per point.) If pressed, they might restore 20% of your points for free. But, if so, you cannot then pay to reactivate the other 80%. This has been in effect for a few weeks and I am not aware that a single exception has been made. It was made very clear throughout the company that none was to be granted.

Search this Thread