Do Hilton points still expire? (2019)

Old Jul 19, 19, 8:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Posts: 2,367
Do Hilton points still expire? (2019)

Historically points expired after 12 months, though elites and CC holders never expire - these were written in Hilton T&C. However, I can no longer find any verbiage about expiration either in their FAQ or T&C. Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what's the latest policy?
italdesign is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 9:01 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,759
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Historically points expired after 12 months, though elites and CC holders never expire - these were written in Hilton T&C. However, I can no longer find any verbiage about expiration either in their FAQ or T&C. Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what's the latest policy?
Still there; hasn't changed. See T&C under General, #13:
13. Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.
italdesign likes this.
beltway is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 3:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,241
Does having the credit card even if you don't use it, keep the points from expiring (like the United card does)?
friedablass is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 12:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: HH D; IHG G
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Historically points expired after 12 months, though elites (..) never expire (..)
This sounds more like IHG Rewards Points. (Club level membership points will expire after 12 months if there's no account activity.) Isn't it with Hilton that you can become Silver/Gold/Diamond in January 2020, stay on that level until March 2022, but your points will expire in Feb 2021 if you don't have any point activity?

How does it work with Lifetime Diamonds? Do they still have the activity requirement?
Sisosig is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Milano (Italy)
Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Posts: 286
Regarding the matter, converting some points from Amex Membership Rewards to HiltonHonors could be considered an "eligible activity" in order to prevent points from expiring?
thanks all
GoldenItalianBoy is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,241
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
Regarding the matter, converting some points from Amex Membership Rewards to HiltonHonors could be considered an "eligible activity" in order to prevent points from expiring?
thanks all
Yes, I've read that it does although it's not a very valuable use of MR points.

Can anyone please confirm if have a Hilton cc keeps the points from expiring even if you don't use the cc?
friedablass is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
Can anyone please confirm if have a Hilton cc keeps the points from expiring even if you don't use the cc?
I see nothing in the AmEx T&Cs to suggest simply having a Hilton card keeps points from expiring. AFAIK, you still need some sort of activity every 12 months.

See also: How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Last edited by Petdog; Aug 16, 19 at 7:49 pm Reason: Added link to relevant thread
Petdog is offline  
Old Aug 25, 19, 8:43 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 196
Major update on expiring points. Every customer service agent, diamond rep, guest assist agent - even the ones who handled issues that get to Hilton's executives - has been told that they should encourage members who forfeit points to go to the Honors site and buy them back. (I believe it costs $0.0020 or $0.0025 per point.) If pressed, they might restore 20% of your points for free. But, if so, you cannot then pay to reactivate the other 80%. This has been in effect for a few weeks and I am not aware that a single exception has been made. It was made very clear throughout the company that none was to be granted.
retiredfromhilton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread