Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

charged for more than two waters during a stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I had a stay at the DT west end in London and had several issues with the room (was moved a couple times because of problems with the rooms). I stayed on a point stay and even though the receipt I had showed $0 there was a charge of $3.77 that hit my credit card I was so ticked off over the bad stay I called the diamond desk over this charge and they called the hotel and said it was for a bottled water. There were two bottled waters in the room and I drank one each day and they replenished them with a tag on the bottles saying there were free for diamonds and golds and was a price for other guests. Apparently they only give you two the entire stay. Not that big of an issue seeing it's in the T&C but ticks me off they replenished the water with the tags on them and no mention of being limited to two the entire stay. If it would have been printed on the tag I would have just stocked up at the grocery across the street. I've had plenty of stays at Hilton where I have received extra bottled water just by asking at the front desk.

This hotel is getting a one star review on TA for sure.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:20 am

Interesting. I didn’t know that and I totally agree with you. If the water isn’t free, they shouldn’t write ‚free for...‘ on it. As a guest it‘s not my job to count bottle of waters. If they made the mistake to put a ‚free‘ sticker on a bottle, which wasn’t for free, they can’t blame the guest for that. And if they don‘t have a process to remove the sticker after the second bottle per stay, they should have the rule not to charge to HH guests for it.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Must be one of the biggest penny pinching moves I’ve heard about at a Hilton and their free water.

Never stayed anywhere where there weren’t two free bottles a day.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Def deserves a bad review - altho i’m guessing they did refund you afterwards?

If they resplenish how is one to know cant drink them again?! Weirdest rule ever.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by itisme
Def deserves a bad review - altho i’m guessing they did refund you afterwards?

If they resplenish how is one to know cant drink them again?! Weirdest rule ever.
No refund. The email receipt showed a zero balance and I found out about the charge after I downloaded my Am Ex info. I complained to the diamond desk not knowing what the charge was since I couldn't view a new folio online and she couldn't access it either and called the hotel. She said the hotel wouldn't reverse the charge and she agreed with me it was excessive for one bottle of water (that I could buy a case of 40 bottles twice the size at Costco for the same amount of $) but that the T&C clearly state it's two bottles per stay. Wish I would have kept the tag so I could contest the charges.

I'm just upset because I had some other issues. What really pissed me off is they want to enforce the T&C but the T&C clearly state it's a free breakfast for two people in the room. Somehow the reservation got messed up and was only showing it for one and my friend had to crash on the floor that night and they wouldn't comp his breakfast because they claimed for a single room it was free breakfast for only one. Fortunately he lived in the London area and was working that morning and doesn't eat much and just grabbed a scone from a bakery on his way to work.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They're right about the breakfast as he was not an official guest in the room, you were the only one staying there officially on the books.

The bottled water, however, was just plain cheap. If they're that adamant, then they should make a point of training their front desk people to clearly specify the benefit is per stay at check-in.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:11 am

Every Hilton brand (Hilton, Conrad, HGI) in SE Asia that I just stayed at replenished the two waters every day,

The two waters free on only your first night in the US is really cheap. I'm dropping maybe 1300 USD on a stay this week, is a few pennies really going to make a different to Hilton?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:30 am
cjd

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Somehow the reservation got messed up and was only showing it for one and my friend had to crash on the floor that night and they wouldn't comp his breakfast because they claimed for a single room it was free breakfast for only one..
I've had that happen on several occasions as the website defaults to one person when booking and I haven't realised that I've only booked for one person. Front desk usually has no problem when two of us turn up and alters the booking at check in and the two of us get lounge access and/or complimentary breakfast. Agree that charging for the water labelled as free at a later date is really mean and penny pinching. I'd be complaining direct to the hotel and asking for a refund. If you need it, I'll ring the hotel and get an email address for you.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sorry to hear about watergate... its makes Hilton look really really bad..
I split my stays between IHG and Hilton properties, the IHG in Bom is amazing for water, at least 10 bottles in the room upon arrival, and then a case in my room for the rest of my stay (3-5 days)
and if I run out (BOM is always hot), they just give me more..
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:08 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Did the room physically accommodate only one person?

Honors elite members get 2nd guest free benefit which means you can always book for 1 and get 2 guests at breakfast, unless you actually have a single room where it was potentially against the law for two people to stay overnight.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by smithrh
Every Hilton brand (Hilton, Conrad, HGI) in SE Asia that I just stayed at replenished the two waters every day,

The two waters free on only your first night in the US is really cheap. I'm dropping maybe 1300 USD on a stay this week, is a few pennies really going to make a different to Hilton?
​​​​​​
I understand that America-bashing can be a fun sport for our foreign friends; however, the hotel in question was in the United Kingdom. The word London should have been a clue to you, as well as not assuming that the stay was in the US because the American poster was charged in US Dollars on his credit card statement.
arlflyer, strickerj and jakers3200 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
This property should be outed. What is the complete name?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Official complimentary water policy aside, no guest should be charged for items labeled as free, period.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
This property should be outed. What is the complete name?
Assume from OP it is the "DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End" near Russell Square.
Sisosig and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:52 pm

I've certainly had hotels limit free water to 2 bottles per stay, but then they either didn't replenish or they put price tags on subsequent bottles.

Anything else would defy sense.
jamesteroh and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is that the standard Hilton price tags they use state that these bottles are free for Elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.