Worst Experience With Diamond Desk Ever

Old Jul 10, 19, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Worst Experience With Diamond Desk Ever

Has anyone had trouble/have suggestions on getting Hilton and/or a specific property to address an issue?

I've been a diamond member for nearly 15 years. I recently arranged a group rate at a Hilton Garden Inn in Independence, MO for my son's baseball team. It turned out to be a horrific stay:
-Sales person essentially lied about a quoted rate.
-Two non functioning elevators causing 9 families to carry everything up 5 flights of stairs
-No functioning air conditioning in the public areas of the hotel, including the above mentioned stairwells
-Rude staff
-Issues with the chlorine in the pool.

I emailed the hotel during our stay about the multitude of issues and received no response, so I contacted the diamond desk. After receiving no response from the Diamond desk I was originally told they didn't respond because they could figure out the nature of the problem and needed more information. So rather than ask for more information, they just ignored me?!?!?

They finally opened a case file and I was told I would be contacted within 3 business days. It's now been 5. I sent an additional email to the diamond desk and get the same cut and pasted language apologizing for a delay.

This has been going on for 13 days now with essentially no response from the hotel or from honors. All I get are hollow apologies and continued delays in a timeline on having the issues addressed.

The customer service has been a joke and quite frankly insulting for a 15 year Diamond member. I'm about to the point of making a switch to Marriot. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by UniversityTraveler View Post
Has anyone had trouble/have suggestions on getting Hilton and/or a specific property to address an issue?

I've been a diamond member for nearly 15 years. I recently arranged a group rate at a Hilton Garden Inn in Independence, MO for my son's baseball team. It turned out to be a horrific stay:
-Two non functioning elevators causing 9 families to carry everything up 5 flights of stairs
-No functioning air conditioning in the public areas of the hotel, including the above mentioned stairwells
-Rude staff

I emailed the hotel during our stay about the multitude of issues and received no response, so I contacted the diamond desk. After receiving no response from the Diamond desk I was originally told they didn't respond because they could figure out the nature of the problem and needed more information. So rather than ask for more information, they just ignored me?!?!?

They finally opened a case file and I was told I would be contacted within 3 business days. It's now been 5. I sent an additional email to the diamond desk and get the same cut and pasted language apologizing for a delay.

This has been going on for 13 days now with essentially no response from the hotel or from honors. All I get are hollow apologies and continued delays in a timeline on having the issues addressed.

The customer service has been a joke and quite frankly insulting for a 15 year Diamond member. I'm about to the point of making a switch to Marriot. Anyone have any suggestions?
Don't feel bad. Twenty year lifetime Diamond here, and I have had an open issue for 4 months now. I believe that this horrible Salesforce CRM rollout has totally messed-up the Diamond desk because agent after agent has told me that they no longer have the power to fix many things that could be done easily in the past. I don't know if this applies to your case but, suffice it to say, they are swamped with CRM software issues right now.

Try elevating your case to a supervisor to see if they can make something happen for you.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:52 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by UniversityTraveler View Post

-Rude staff

I don't know what you expected. I have considered that hotel over the years a few times but never stayed there. Why? Because it has always had a 3.5/5 rating on Trip Advisor. In terms of Hilton Garden Inns, it is like the worst, a bottom of the barrel quality level relative to the rest of the brand. Hilton Garden Inns routinely have 4/5 ratings on Trip Advisor and quite a few even have 4.5/5 ratings.
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
I don't know what you expected. I have considered that hotel over the years a few times but never stayed there. Why? Because it has always had a 3.5/5 rating on Trip Advisor. In terms of Hilton Garden Inns, it is like the worst, a bottom of the barrel quality level relative to the rest of the brand. Hilton Garden Inns routinely have 4/5 ratings on Trip Advisor and quite a few even have 4.5/5 ratings.
I got skittish after suggesting one to a family member then looking it up at only 4/5. Seems like it's below average on upkeep. Forget these are aging now and not all new so there's some in poor condition....

What's nice is that the rating is often artificially low because there's a number of low reviews at every Hilton Garden Inn because they don't have a free gas-station-quality hampton inn breakfast included in the room rate and they thought there was .

Last edited by B3nder; Jul 11, 19 at 12:17 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
i has actually stayed there a few times prior with no issues, but several years ago. Itís clearly gone down hill. There werenít a lot of options for things convenient for the tournament we were playing in.
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
keep after them, I have been Diamond with Hilton for the last 8 years.. a few problems we have had.. just get swept under the rug..unfortunately for me.. had a life, so I just let it go after 5 months..
now I staying with IHG.. better service and better customer service.. and besides in BOM (most of my stays for work are, the hotel staff is great)
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, National Executive
I am gold with Marriott and Hilton, and I seem to have issue and issue with Hilton. I find that Marriott treats their customers better, they are better with room upgrades, late check-outs, they are nicer and much more informed. I have not liked any of my recent Hilton Experiences. I most recently stayed at a Canopy Collection and a Conrad and both stays were below average. Marriott has its own issues, but they seem to be a much better run company than Hilton.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
I've had better luck recently using Twitter to send a direct message. Response time is usually less than 3 hours and they'll open a case for you. The issue resolution hasn't been fantastic, but at least the communication is timely. As others have noted, the CRM system is all jacked up.

If you have a written quote that is not being honored, I'd send one more email giving 3-days to rectify, then file a chargeback on your credit card. If it was a verbal agreement, then the situation is much tougher.

I'd make a very concise and accurate review on TripAdvisor. Those get attention, too.
formeraa likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:50 am

Agree. Twitter DM is best way to communicate.
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:10 am

Trying to get information on my lifetime Hilton Diamond status.

They are working with their "airline liaison" to determine my status.

Which airline is handling Hilton's data??

Grrrr!
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by dlaue; Jul 11, 19 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:16 pm

Over the years, I've found the best approach to resolving seemingly intractable customer service issues with large companies is to write a letter to the CEO at headquarters and also formally file a complaint with applicable federal, state, and local regulators and licensing entities, if any (e.g., FCC, FTC, FAA, NYS Department of Public Service, NYC Department of Consumer Affairs; not a Better Business Bureau).

Concisely lay out the facts, provide useful supporting documentation, and make a specific request. Don't threaten litigation--that gets the lawyers involved, when what you want is the business unit to resolve the matter.
  1. Many/most/all large company CEO's have staff tasked with addressing this correspondence, getting you out of the bureaucratic quagmire
  2. Regulated businesses typically are required to resolve formal complaints and report on their resolution, again getting you out of the bureaucratic quagmire
  3. It's cathartic to simply write it out and get it out of your system.
This may seem time-consuming, but I find it's much more efficient than bounced around various customer service agents and departments. Try the typical route; if the company doesn't resolve the issue and it's substantial enough, go to the CEO. This is not about being a crank; it's about finding a path to someone with the responsibility and authority to resolve the matter.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
The last two times I called the Diamond desk, I had two non English speaking person answer the phone. It was awful. I couldn't understand what they were saying, and they kept repeating corporate double speak. It is very frustrating the lack of help one can get on the phone.
hugolover likes this.

Search this Thread