Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Favorite Hilton property in Europe - need family vacay ideas

Old Jul 9, 19, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA

Hello all,
Looking for some ideas for spring break 2020. What European Hilton properties would be good for family of 4 travel? I know we will need 2 rooms and I have young teenagers. We did London spring break 2019 and stayed at the Conrad. We have also recently spent a quick one day in Paris and several days in Copenhagen. We are coming from CVG/IND/SDF. I have looked at Rome - but concerned about distance from the WA to city center; looking at Amsterdam, maybe Berlin?? I also had looked at Iceland, but we just got back from Alaska so maybe it is a similar trip. My boys aren't big beach people so that wouldn't be ideal for us, yet they are annoyed with me at planning another European trip since my 13 year old says it is a working vacation.
One of the plusses with Rome would be not only using all points, using a free night, we also would each have the $250 Aspire resort credit we could use. It is pricer to fly to Rome vs. Amsterdam/Dublin or some other cities.
Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Vienna, Munich, Berlin all have tons to do and nice, reasonably priced Hiltons within walking distance of their respective city centers.

If you want to go to Rome, I wouldn't let the distance from the WA to city sights be an issue.

There's also Prague, Budapest, Barcelona, the list goes on, really depends what you want to do.
Old Jul 9, 19, 5:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Barcelona or Amsterdam would be my go-to's for easy family vacations with a plethora of Hilton choices.

1. Easy, direct flights to either from most USA hubs. (I'm a Delta guy these days, so AMS is a slam dunk).
2. Easy, affordable light rail straight from airport to walking-distance Hiltons.
(Amsterdam = Doubletree Centraal Station, Barcelona = Hilton Diagonal or Downtown.)
3. Both places have hop off buses that are great for first timers, lots of museums for all tastes and ages.
4. Excellent food culture is afoot at both locales.
AMS: legit Dutch apple pie in an antiquey-instagrammable pub that's been serving since the 1700's? Caf 't Papeneiland, check. Foodhallen for choices for everyone? Mhmhm. Stroopwaffles made fresh along the mile-long outdoor Cuypmarket? Yes, please.
BCN:Farmer's market bursting with fun snacks and exploring at every turn? St. Joseph's market, check. Tapas everywhere? Late-night fresh churros y chocolate at Xurreria Trebol? Fuggedaboutit!
5. I've gotten Diamond upgrades at all properties in BCN, and all the places in AMS I've stayed, for that matter. Breakfast is awesome at either of the BCN Hiltons, and the AMS DT Wharf or Centraal have dutch pancakes and a huge buffet of high quality everythings.
6. Lounge at BCN Diagonal is nice views and food. Lounge at AMS DT Centraal not so much for views, but the top floor bar and balconies have 'em. (I asked for a nice view room a couple months ago with my daughter and we were upgraded to an awesome city view overlooking the whole city. Bliss.)
7. Did I mention stroopwaffles vs. churros? Friggin' tossup, I know.
8. BCN: Las Ramblas! Walk around and enjoy the area. Architecture is to Spain as painting is to France. Walk around and just gawk. Sculpture too.
9. AMS: It's a walking city in general. You can hit an awful lot to do in a few mile radius. Gawk at massive amounts of bikes. Take free ferry to NSDM Wharf just to see the sunken sub and turn around.
10. BCN: Get the multi-day tourist pass before you land - gets you unlimited metro (easy to use). BCN = Holland Pass gets you tons of museum entry, scenic boat rides around the canals, hoho buses, and a mess of good stuff. Go see the Banksy museum, Rijksmuseum, take a boat ride,

...etc.

Paris, Rome, etc. are all nice enough in their own ways, but crowded and tourist season isn't as pleasant. My personal experience - for a family vacation *my* kids really dug BCN and AMS more than Paris and Rome. Well, and they liked Sydney a lot too. But that's a slightly longer flight...

JJefrey: "If you want to go to Rome, I wouldn't let the distance from the WA to city sights be an issue."
Dunno. I stayed at the WA and felt like I was always cabbing to go anywhere. And if you're staying at that property for the lounge and on-property bennies, you're not going to want to cab back to have afternoon tea or something. That's a fun place to park or NOT be going into town as much. But If I did Rome anytime soon, I don't think I'd stay there again. One of the most over-the-top breakfast spreads I've ever seen though!

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Jul 10, 19 at 3:20 pm
Old Jul 9, 19, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post
Barcelona or Amsterdam would be my go-to's for easy family vacations with a plethora of Hilton choices.

1. Easy, direct flights to either from most USA hubs. (I'm a Delta guy these days, so AMS is a slam dunk).
2. Easy, affordable light rail straight from airport to walking-distance Hiltons.
(Amsterdam = Doubletree Centraal Station, Barcelona = Hilton Diagonal or Downtown.)
3. Both places have hop off buses that are great for first timers, lots of museums for all tastes and ages.
4. Excellent food culture is afoot at both locales.
AMS: Dutch apple pie in an antiquey-instagrammable pub that's been serving since the 1700's? AMS = Caf 't Papeneiland, check. Foodhallen for choices for everyone? Mhmhm. Stroopwaffles made fresh along the mile-long outdoor Cuypmarket? Yes, please.
BCN:Farmer's market bursting with fun snacks and exploring at every turn? St. Joseph's market, check. Tapas everywhere? Late-night fresh churros y chocolate at Xurreria Trebol? Fuggedaboutit!
5. I've gotten Diamond upgrades at all properties in BCN, and all the places in AMS I've stayed, for that matter. Breakfast is awesome at either of the BCN Hiltons, and the AMS DT Wharf or Centraal have dutch pancakes and a huge buffet of high quality everythings.
6. Lounge at BCN Diagonal is nice views and food. Lounge at AMS DT Centraal not so much for views, but the top floor bar and balconies have 'em. (I asked for a nice view room a couple months ago with my daughter and we were upgraded to an awesome city view overlooking the whole city. Bliss.)
7. Did I mention stroopwaffles vs. churros? Friggin' tossup, I know.
8. BCN: Las Ramblas! Walk around and enjoy the area. Architecture is to Spain as painting is to France. Walk around and just gawk. Sculpture too.
9. AMS: It's a walking city in general. You can hit an awful lot to do in a few mile radius. Gawk at massive amounts of bikes. Take free ferry to NSDM Wharf just to see the sunken sub and turn around.
10. BCN: Get the multi-day tourist pass before you land - gets you unlimited metro (easy to use). BCN = Holland Pass gets you tons of museum entry, scenic boat rides around the canals, hoho buses, and a mess of good stuff. Go see the Banksy museum, Rijksmuseum, take a boat ride,

...etc.

Paris, Rome, etc. are all nice enough in their own ways, but crowded and tourist season isn't as pleasant. My personal experience - for a family vacation *my* kids really dug BCN and AMS more than Paris and Rome. Well, and they liked Sydney a lot too. But that's a slightly longer flight...

JJefrey: "If you want to go to Rome, I wouldn't let the distance from the WA to city sights be an issue."
Dunno. I stayed at the WA and felt like I was always cabbing to go anywhere. And if you're staying at that property for the lounge and on-property bennies, you're not going to want to cab back to have afternoon tea or something. That's a fun place to park or NOT be going into town as much. But If I did Rome anytime soon, I don't think I'd stay there again. One of the most over-the-top breakfast spreads I've ever seen though!
Thank you so much for the reply! A few days ago, I saw some availability at the WA Amsterdam for the standard 95K rooms - I grabbed two rooms for five nights. As the cash price was over 5,000 euros (yikes) my plan would be to convert to points which I know could blow up in my attempt to convert. As an alternative to the WA, it sounds like you would recommend the Doubletree over the Hilton. The Hilton looks like it is in a lovely locale but maybe a bit away from the town center.
Ams is also a much easier flight - and about a thousand less than Rome.

On the Rome front, I looked at the other hilton property in town, but from what I can figure out you can only get the standard rate if it is one person per room. Dumb.
p.s. I told my husband if I get hit by a bus in the next few weeks, his only job is to cancel the WA Amsterdam cash reservation.
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:53 am

Hilton has full-service properties in nearly all big European cities. Very few of them are worth a trip across the pond just to visit, or worth being the determining factor in such a trip.

Pick a few places you are genuinely interested in and then check the hotel offerings. Personally, I'd be much more likely to be driven to a destination based on flight logistics than hotels - especially with 4x tickets.

I agree with Barcelona, and if you do wish to go to Rome it is a good time of year to do it. I like central/eastern European cities myself but it would still effectively be winter in most.
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Hilton sorrento is one of my favorites. from there you can visit Pompeii, capri, Amalfi coast, and still take the train up to rome for a few days. the view from the executive lounge is wonderful.
wizla and shmom like this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: LH Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Budapest or Prague perhaps. Both have two good Hiltons each, with good ELs.
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Istanbul, Cypress, Reykjavik.
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
Istanbul, Cypress, Reykjavik.

I just got back from Istanbul Hilton this week. Had fun, neat city, but Id opine thats a more city visit without kids vibe. My college age daughter would dig all the neat picturesque markets, but teen boys? Hmm. Dunno.
Also, IST: Id go Conrad over the Hilton next time there. The old dame Hilton is showing some age. Classy as heck, great breakfast, but exec room was kind of pedestrian. Wanted to stay at the new Hagia Mansions, but I think it soft-opened just after i left.

Iceland: before I come completely across as a cultural philistine, I enjoyed it, the Curio, Canopy, and Hilton stays there were all good (Hilton a bit plain though), but its a quick 3-day city, fun driving around from waterfall to waterfall, but if youre not into looking at rocks and trees for a week... well, that is pretty much the thing to do there.

Cypress: Im in. Whats good to do there?
Old Jul 10, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post

I just got back from Istanbul Hilton this week. Had fun, neat city, but I’d opine that’s a more “city visit without kids” vibe. My college age daughter would dig all the neat picturesque markets, but teen boys? Hmm. Dunno.
Also, IST: I’d go Conrad over the Hilton next time there. The old dame Hilton is showing some age. Classy as heck, great breakfast, but exec room was kind of pedestrian. Wanted to stay at the new Hagia Mansions, but I think it soft-opened just after i left.

Iceland: before I come completely across as a cultural philistine, I enjoyed it, the Curio, Canopy, and Hilton stays there were all good (Hilton a bit plain though), but its a quick 3-day city, fun driving around from waterfall to waterfall, but if youre not into looking at rocks and trees for a week... well, that is pretty much the thing to do there.

Cypress: I’m in. What’s good to do there?
In Istanbul I would go for the Hilton Bomonti. Breakfast is better there than at the Conrad, with more options and a juice station. The lounge also has better offerings. I also think the service is better at the Hilton Bomonti than at the Conrad. Further, the Conrad has poor sound insulation and you can hear people in the hallway.

As for a European city, which is better for teenagers, I would also suggest Amsterdam and Barcelona, though it really depends on their interests.
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Hilton Malta is also a good choice if you like a seaside location and to explore the island
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Dubrovnik? Hilton Imperial is a genuinely impressive building, well run too, and the kids can have the run of the nearby Old Town. If you wanted a new place of interest to teenagers I'd also consider Stockholm, Dublin, Belfast, Berlin and Krakw
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:11 am

There are many cities in Europe, which are worth a visit - or even many visits. You've already experienced nice ones like London, Paris and Copenhagen. I think, you won't be disappointed with Amsterdam, Rome or Berlin.

No reason to worry about the location of the WA in Rome. I recommend guided tours by Segway or bike there (i.e. www.rex-tours.com). Great with teenagers. Berlin is maybe a better choice when your kids are older teenagers. The Hiltons there are ok, but not the best ones. I wouldn't stay at the WA Berlin with teenagers. WA Amsterdam is from my point of view one of the best three Hilton properties in Europe.

In the last 10 -20 years the main tourists spots of big cities look more and more like the same. So I recommend to see the special places there as well. I.e. if you only stay at La Rambla in Barcelona, it's not so different to some place in the US. But you won't find the Sagrada Familia anywhere else.

From my experience AirBnB is the better choice, especially when needing two rooms. You can save a lot of money or you can get a much more impressive apartment. But of cource you can't pay with Hilton points there.
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Budapest or Dubrovnik are lovely. Berlin quite nice too but not special.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:09 am

Hilton Paris Opera. Well run, well located and historic hotel in the greatest city on Earth!

Search this Thread