Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hampton Inn breakfasts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Just give me real scrambled eggs, and I will be happy.
If by "real" you mean arrived at the property still surrounded by a shell at some point, not going to happen. U.S. Hampton food prep areas aren't built out to perform real cooking - they're most likely what's called a "warming kitchen" or catering kitchen, not a full production kitchen. That means that they don't have the vent hood, fire suppression, and other features (not to mention the appliances, of course) needed to do real cooking. Upgrading existing facilities to meet the necessary codes or including this capability in new builds would be an extremely nontrivial task.
BlueZebra and flyme2 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If by "real" you mean arrived at the property still surrounded by a shell at some point, not going to happen. U.S. Hampton food prep areas aren't built out to perform real cooking - they're most likely what's called a "warming kitchen" or catering kitchen, not a full production kitchen. That means that they don't have the vent hood, fire suppression, and other features (not to mention the appliances, of course) needed to do real cooking. Upgrading existing facilities to meet the necessary codes or including this capability in new builds would be an extremely nontrivial task.
Well, then Omelette station it is !
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Well, then Omelette station it is !
Now this gets interesting. I don't know if a property can do commercial cooking in a space that does not have any certification for such. Omelet stations might be covered in restaurants in the sense that they're an extension of an approved cooking facility. I'm not deep enough in the codes to know if a standalone one could fly. Would be cool if it could work though.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
But is this still using one-time use plastic plates and cutlery? European Hamptons tend to involve ceramic crockery, but are the USA "Inns" moving this way too?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But is this still using one-time use plastic plates and cutlery? European Hamptons tend to involve ceramic crockery, but are the USA "Inns" moving this way too?
Haven't seen it. In line with my previous posts about the kitchen build-outs in Hampton properties, I do not believe that most (any?) have the high-volume commercial dishwashing capability needed to support this. However, this would be simpler to add to new properties than a full prep kitchen - not sure where breakeven on switching the whole operation to reusables would be in terms of guest throughput but it would theoretically exist somewhere.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Hampton Brickell is using food based (potato and something else) plates so they biodegrade easier.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Holiday Inn Express breakfast improved a lot in the past year or so because they figure out how to use non-powdered hot eggs at the same (or lower?) cost as their previous (and everybody else's in this space) powdered hot eggs. I wish Hampton (and Fairfield and others) could copy HIX on this. Thanks goodness Hampton (and Fairfield and some others) have hardboiled eggs, because I hate powdered eggs with a passion.
HIX breakfast these days is much better than Hampton. Hampton needs to step it up.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I want real fresh-baked bagels!
Then you need to stay at the Brooklyn Hampton Inn, fresh local bagel every morning. One of the best HI in the US.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I haven‘t seen it. I even stayed in one Hampton Inn in which every single cup at the breakfast was wrapped in plastic.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Then you need to stay at the Brooklyn Hampton Inn, fresh local bagel every morning. One of the best HI in the US.
Really? I will have to stay there the next time I am in NYC.
LongingForORD likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Thanks goodness Hampton (and Fairfield and some others) have hardboiled eggs, because I hate powdered eggs with a passion.
And thank goodness Hampton’s hard boiled eggs are served in the shell. Hate the pre-peeled slimy ones.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I want real fresh-baked bagels!
And fresh smoked salmon.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by florens

I haven‘t seen it. I even stayed in one Hampton Inn in which every single cup at the breakfast was wrapped in plastic.

This is something I've never seen before, but I would guess it is fully for sanitation purposes. If you are traveling during flu season, do you want to be drinking out of cups that people are coughing all over? The plastic wrapping at least gives some shield of protection.

Typically those pre-plastic wrapped cups are the ones that go into the guest rooms... This is also for sanitation purposes with those pre-plastic wrapped cups going into the guest rooms. The maid puts those cups in the room right after they clean your toilet or clean other rather disgusting areas. There is a reason why that plastic wrapping is over those cups. Another reason is so they do not have to replace unused cups after each guest. The plastic wrapping sealing the cups promotes a waste reduction effort. I would guess a fairly large percentage (probably at least 40-50%) of customers do not use those cups provided in the room. But if the cups did not have the plastic wrap, for sanitary purposes, they would need to be tossed and replaced with each new guest.

Perhaps a model like "Tru" where the cups are at a central location in the lobby at a wall-built in dispenser like a gas station has would be a way to control cup usage and eliminate use of the plastic wrap, and cut a step out of the maid's process in replacing the cups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.