Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is USAA Travel a "Third Party Booking Site" ?

Old Jul 5, 19, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pref ++, Nat EA Exec, Hertz PC

I just joined USAA and stumbled upon their travel booking site, branded as Member Travel Privileges. Checking one reservation in September in a relatively expensive area, I found their rate to be a bit cheaper (and you earn points in USAA's program), so I canceled my Hilton-direct reservation and booked through USAA for the same dates (about 5% cheaper). The new reservation has a confirmation # that 'is not found' on the Honors reservation page when you "find existing reservation" (several hours after the new reservation) - a fact that has me wondering if this agency is considered a "third party booking site" (and therefore ineligible for Honors points).

Does anyone have experience in booking Hilton rooms through USAA Travel, and did you receive Honors points / elite credit?

I still have time to reverse my actions, as the stay isn't until September.

(I will call them and ask, but that information is not as valuable to me as the anecdotal what actually happens information available here...)
Old Jul 6, 19, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Pretty much anything thatís not booking with Hilton direct is a third-party site

Iím curious why you think there would be an exception to this site? Itís not a Hilton website right?
Old Jul 6, 19, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like it's not prepaid and is somewhat different from an OLTA. Perhaps the OP is thinking that with USAA membership, it would be similar to booking a AAA rate for example.
Old Jul 8, 19, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pref ++, Nat EA Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It sounds like it's not prepaid and is somewhat different from an OLTA. Perhaps the OP is thinking that with USAA membership, it would be similar to booking a AAA rate for example.
My understanding is that normal travel agency bookings typically earn credit, but 'resellers' do not. (That's always been the case for me anyway... booking through Acendas, Concur, Amex earn, booking a stay through Priceline or Expedia do not - essentially the difference between them - at least as I thought I understood it - was that Priceline / Expedia / etc. are reselling prepurchased / prearranged inventory and traditional travel agencies are simply selling Hilton's inventory...)
emrdoc likes this.

Search this Thread