Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

You can't always get what you want - or what you order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody

This is total rant. Need to vent so I don't kick the dog when I get home. Joke - don't have a dog.

This is for Hilton Baltimore next to Camden Yards and the convention center. This is what is being sent on to those in management who likely don't care.

At approximately 10:50pm, I ordered from room service. I ordered two entrees and some beverages. At approximately midnight, the order arrived. I signed the check for just under $80. After the delivery person left, I went to the tray left behind and note that one of the entrees was not delivered. I call down to room service and I was automatically connected to the main call loop. There was no option for dining services so selected 0. After a brief delay I was connected to the front desk. I advised them of the issue and they stated they would connect me to the dining manager. The number I was connected to went to voice mail. I disconnected the call and attempted to call the front desk via “0”. Approximately ten times in a row it was busy. I was finally connected and placed on hold. After several minutes, I also used my cell phone to call the hotel main number. I selected “0” from the voice prompt on that phone as well. After an additional ten minutes I decided just to head downstairs, cell phone in hand. The first front desk person listened to my story and stated she could not assist me and to wait for the night supervisor who was assisting another person. When he became free, I explained the situation to him and showed him the phone on hold at that time in excess of sixteen minutes. I explained that it was inappropriate at a 4 star hotel, paying in excess of $700 a night for a room, and being an upper level of their frequent traveler program for the lack of attention when I request services. The night supervisor, Mr. ****** ***** stated that those in charge of food and beverage were unavailable at the hour and there was nothing that could be done at the time. I found it odd that people are delivering food but that no one could be contacted – even to provide the missing ordered item. I then asked if I would be charged for the item and Mr. ***** looked puzzled and tapped away at his computer. After about half a minute becoming infuriated I asked if I was then to be screwed for an $80 charge for items I did not receive and poor customer service. In frustration I said fine, I guess I will pay for something I did not receive. I walked partially to the elevators but returned to note the name displayed on his name tag as I did not record it previously. He again asked if there was anything else he could help with. I informed him I only needed his name for when I documented this incident. I returned to my room. Shortly after returning Mr. ***** called directly to the room and I informed him he had the opportunity to address the issues after I went out of my way to go down to the front desk. He claimed I had just walked away. He then stated he would just advise his manager of the issue and the call was disconnected.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:17 pm

Yours is a very bad hotel. Was the front desk clerk named Mike?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
No - initials KH. I included the name in the direct complaints.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Jeez. That's terrible service. It's already bad when one entree went missing, and even worse when they don't take it seriously.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:54 am

Room service...the bane of my existence. It is terrible (almost) everywhere*. Sounds like they were running a real skeleton crew that night - definitely not excusable. Especially if rates were $700 for that property...assuming a conference? (Oriole games couldn't possibly command that kind of premium these days could they?).

I do appreciate the fact that I'm not the only one who calls the hotel from my cell phone when the room phone and or system is unusable - usually a pretty good trick.

I'd assume escalating to the GM should yield something here...but you need to be very specific about what you are asking for.

Oh, and in before the flood of comments asking why OP didn't visually confirm the order before the deliver person left.

*Shout out to Conrad though - man, I love ordering through the app. WHY can't Hilton roll that out across their app in general? Ordering dinner while headed home from the office or pre-ordering the next morning's breakfast >> calling from the room, getting a busy signal and/or having someone who can't understand you and/or having them read back your whole order fifteen times for confirmation...
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there really an app for Conrad? I thought it was part of the requests in the Hilton app which is basically a hosted platform on a hotel server. Please direct me to the right place.

You’re right about the convenience of being order on the App though. I like this feature for the restaurant on Polish trains.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
[left]Is there really an app for Conrad? I thought it was part of the requests in the Hilton app which is basically a hosted platform on a hotel server. Please direct me to the right place.
Sorry, it is no longer a dedicated app - it used to be Conrad Concierge, which was its own thing. Now that functionality has been nested into the Honors app. I have no idea where it is hosted or what the significance of that is. My only point is that Conrad is the only Hilton brand for which I am aware one can order room service through an app, and I wish more brands had that functionality.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DLSIZE
The night supervisor, Mr. ****** ***** stated that those in charge of food and beverage were unavailable at the hour and there was nothing that could be done at the time. I found it odd that people are delivering food but that no one could be contacted – even to provide the missing ordered item.
According to the Hilton website, in-room dining at the Hilton Baltimore ends at 11pm. I imagine your order was the last of the night and everyone involved left immediately after it was cooked and subsequently delivered.

For the record, that's an explanation and not an excuse. I could understand if the Night Supervisor not being helpful in fixing the problem. After all, if no one is on-site to cook, there's no way to get something cooked.

But as someone that used to work third shift in hotels, the response of the guy flummoxes me. The obvious and most basic response would be to: 1) apologize, 2) comp the entire meal immediately, and 3) ask the guest the best time for a Food and Beverage manager to contact to discuss the issue the following day. An above-average hotel will provide a list of delivery options and/or menus of places that still deliver at that hour...even if it's just pizza.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by DLSIZE
I advised them of the issue and they stated they would connect me to the dining manager. The number I was connected to went to voice mail. I disconnected the call and attempted to call the front desk via “0”. Approximately ten times in a row it was busy.
The experience obviously sucks, but given the time of day (night) and the ineptitude manifest by this series of events, I'd have called it quits and waited until the next day to ask for a refund.

Tip: try Doordash or Uber Eats next time. I live in suburbia and don't wait longer than 30-45 min even for Denny's spaghetti and meatballs at 2am.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That sucks, OP. I hate it when service breaks down in a hospitality business, then the opportunity for service recovery is also blown. I'm glad that venting here (hopefully) made you feel better, although to be honest I don't expect corporate Hilton to do much of anything for you.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I get this very old reference!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by johnndor
I get this very old reference!
I knew someone would!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:10 pm

As of 2014 Mike has been cleaning septic tanks.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

An email to the GM got the meal comped and that was it.

A subpar experience. Later in stay had a package delivery that took about 5 hours from downstairs to get upstairs. This was after 3 calls. Horrible service.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
As of 2014 Mike has been cleaning septic tanks.
At least it’s a career track for him. Need to update the PPT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.