FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   How to avoid resort fees? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1975056-how-avoid-resort-fees.html)

arlflyer Jun 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31228944)
Why don't they just add it to the daily rate? It would be nice not to be deceptive and advertise one rate then get wacked with the resort fee at the end. Ridiculous and misleading.

I articulated one very big reason why upthread. And that reason is the fact that most corporate travel policies impose a cap on base rate, with taxes and fees being what they are. So this is an easy way for hoteliers to take price on a core segment without ruffling feathers.

Sisosig Jun 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31229403)

I articulated one very big reason why upthread. And that reason is the fact that most corporate travel policies impose a cap on base rate, with taxes and fees being what they are. So this is an easy way for hoteliers to take price on a core segment without ruffling feathers.

Poor excuse. Instead of putting a cap on their rates, for this particular reason, it allows hotels to defraud companies and government agencies out of taxpayers' and owners/stockholders' money. This is bad for everyone, for corporate travel, for government travel as well as for leisure travel. Also, it it defrauding local authorities and schools out of tax, because the occupancy tax, which is usually bigger, will only be levied on the room rate. While the 'BS FEE' will at best get charged a sales tax, which will be lower.

In the end it will lead to local authorities raising taxes, like the 25% tax you need to pay in San Francisco on your parking rate at the hotel. Twentyfive percent of zero dollars can't be that much, but 25% on a parking rate of $20-$40 is an extra $5-$10 a night that adds up to the cost of everyone's stay.

Also, while the Hilton website only displays these BS FEEs on the second page - making it very hard to compare rates - some foreign OTAs don't display the BS FEE at all.

Lastly, these BS FEEs are defrauding Hilton status-holders out of acquired free amenities they are normally entitled to.

Jaimito Cartero Jun 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31227164)
I just booked two nights at the Waldorf Phx and there is an add'l $35/night resort fee. Any chance or experience with Diamonds getting this waived at all?

The Waldorf Phx? Do you mean the Arizona Biltmore? I’d have thought with your years living in the Phoenix area you’d be able to identify a hotel correctly.

This property often has summer specials that include the resort fee. They also have deals with some meals. We stayed there on one a year or two ago. It’s a nice property, but just didn’t impress me that much.

arlflyer Jun 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig (Post 31229664)
Poor excuse. Instead of putting a cap on their rates, for this particular reason, it allows hotels to defraud companies and government agencies out of taxpayers' and owners/stockholders' money. This is bad for everyone, for corporate travel, for government travel as well as for leisure travel. Also, it it defrauding local authorities and schools out of tax, because the occupancy tax, which is usually bigger, will only be levied on the room rate. While the 'BS FEE' will at best get charged a sales tax, which will be lower.

In the end it will lead to local authorities raising taxes, like the 25% tax you need to pay in San Francisco on your parking rate at the hotel. Twentyfive percent of zero dollars can't be that much, but 25% on a parking rate of $20-$40 is an extra $5-$10 a night that adds up to the cost of everyone's stay.

Also, while the Hilton website only displays these BS FEEs on the second page - making it very hard to compare rates - some foreign OTAs don't display the BS FEE at all.

Lastly, these BS FEEs are defrauding Hilton status-holders out of acquired free amenities they are normally entitled to.

You seem to think that I am defending the practice rather than answering the poster's question. A lot of misguided anger.

Super Mario Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm

As a consumer base, we're so completely and overly obsessed with fees/all-included when traveling. All that really matters is the bottom line price. Unless it is some elite perk of whatever to waive resort fees (which isn't with Hilton), then it is PART OF THE PRICE. If hotels "did away" with resort fees, do you honestly think would you just pocket the difference? I agree that it is an annoying process, and would rather the price be up front. I understand why it is the way it is. People lose their minds over a $35 fee on a $250 room when your room really costs $285.

enviroian Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sebseb (Post 31227198)
Pay with points and the resort fee is gone. Otherwise no chance.

Okay I just canceled the biltmore because it appears to be really not worth it as rooms are out of date, etc etc.

I just rebooked the embassy suites in old town for 26K points per night. The cost of the stay:

PREMIUM ROOM REWARD
Honors Reward ID: 042546018
Rate: 57.01 USD
Taxes 7.01 USD
Resort Charge 50.00 USD
Total for Stay 57.01 USD
+ 52000 Points

I thought you said resort fee is waived with a all points payment?

Jaimito Cartero Jun 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31229911)
Okay I just canceled the biltmore because it appears to be really not worth it as rooms are out of date, etc etc.

I just rebooked the embassy suites in old town for 26K points per night. The cost of the stay:

PREMIUM ROOM REWARD
Taxes 7.01 USD
Resort Charge 50.00 USD
Total for Stay 57.01 USD
+ 52000 Points

You booked a premium award, so not sure if that a factor. If you used only points, and not even a penny of cash, it’s likely a glitch. If you read the Hilton forum much, you’ll see others reporting similar emails.

Sisosig Jun 23, 2019 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 31229907)
As a consumer base, we're so completely and overly obsessed with fees/all-included when traveling. All that really matters is the bottom line price. Unless it is some elite perk of whatever to waive resort fees (which isn't with Hilton), then it is PART OF THE PRICE. If hotels "did away" with resort fees, do you honestly think would you just pocket the difference? I agree that it is an annoying process, and would rather the price be up front. I understand why it is the way it is. People lose their minds over a $35 fee on a $250 room when your room really costs $285.

In another thread you just said you have access to the Friends and Family-rate. (link)

Is it correct, by using this rate you would only pay $125 for that room or maybe even less, plus you would get 50% off the bar/restaurant cheque? Does your resort fee also get waved?

We regular stay out of own pocket 'consumers' are more disadvantaged by offers like DoubleTree Tropicana's $40 a night plus a $37.00 resort fee. A fee that even includes fake value like "buy 1, get 1 free" and 10 cents worth of water bottles each day. Well, at least their parking is still free.

Super Mario Jun 23, 2019 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Sisosig (Post 31230420)
In another thread you just said you have access to the Friends and Family-rate. (link)

Is it correct, by using this rate you would only pay $125 for that room or maybe even less, plus you would get 50% off the bar/restaurant cheque? Does your resort fee also get waved?

We regular stay out of own pocket 'consumers' are more disadvantaged by offers like DoubleTree Tropicana's $40 a night plus a $37.00 resort fee. A fee that even includes fake value like "buy 1, get 1 free" and 10 cents worth of water bottles each day. Well, at least their parking is still free.

The room rate can vary. It appears to usually be about half off. F&B credit for hilton-owned restaurants. I'm not sure about the resort fees.

Again, for your last point, it is all part of the price. I do stay at IHG sometimes too. I will choose the better price. I have paid plenty of resort fees. I have a Vegas stay coming up at a different hotel, and you know what Vegas means. Resort fees for sure. I'm not going to save any money by protesting and paying an equal or higher room rate elsewhere (not that you even have that choice in certain places)

enviroian Jun 23, 2019 12:18 pm

I tweeted Hilton. The other poster was indeed spot on!

“Hi Ian! Thank you for those details. When you book a reservation using all points, you do not have to pay a resort fee. You can disregard anything stating otherwise.

If we can help with anything else, please let us know. Happy Travels!-JM”.

Cat88L3 Jun 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31231659)
I tweeted Hilton. The other poster was indeed spot on!

“Hi Ian! Thank you for those details. When you book a reservation using all points, you do not have to pay a resort fee. You can disregard anything stating otherwise.

If we can help with anything else, please let us know. Happy Travels!-JM”.

Yes, this is pretty much well known Hilton policy. To sum it up short and sweet, if you want to avoid resort fees at a Hilton property, 1: Book your stay using all points or 2: Don't choose a property that has a resort fee. That's basically the magic formula, lol.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31229403)

It can go both ways. The people who run the hotel programme in my organisation are very aware of this trend and are including it in the annual negotiations, indeed play off hotels which do and don't charge. New York has seen a certain number of Mandatory Daily Charge fees recently, typically US$20 to $30 a night, and we essentially insist that either that is removed from our negotiated rates or we will put the hotel in a general pool. That pool shows at the bottom of the screen, and includes the fee in the headline rate. It certainly upset one NY Hilton GM who amusingly accused us of bad faith and breach of contract but we merely pointed out that when you are the most expensive totalised rate, our people aren't going to chose hotels when there are cheaper ones in the same chain within walking distance. Now I'm under no illusion here, these sorts of hotels will replace us with other customers, but they have to work harder for that business, and it's a more price sensitive business than reliable negotiated rates.

Cledaybuck Jun 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31229911)

PREMIUM ROOM REWARD
Taxes 7.01 USD
Resort Charge 50.00 USD
Total for Stay 57.01 USD
+ 52000 Points

We just stayed at the Arizona Biltmore this past spring and really enjoyed it. What exactly are you looking for with this stay?

BrlDsguise Jun 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 31232585)

We just stayed at the Arizona Biltmore this past spring and really enjoyed it. What exactly are you looking for with this stay?

Apparently something that doesn't involve a resort fee.

Miesque Jun 24, 2019 10:29 am

Personally I make it a point to avoid hotels with resort fees. Occasionally its unavoidable, but most of the times there are other options with without the resort fees.