Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton.com does not display rounded room rates

Old Jun 16, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I've been noticing that Hilton.com has an inaccurate way of displaying room rates. In the initial price display, the amount is listed to the dollar, but not cents level, at least in USD and CAD rates.

But then when one proceeds to booking and payment, the dollar and cents rate appears, and the cents component is often over .51, meaning that the dollar amount displayed on the initial rate screen has not reflected the accurate amount according to rounding rules.

Here is an example: I booked one night at the Hilton in Rosemont, IL, which displayed at a $92 rate. When I clicked to the booking page to prepay this rate, it appeared as $92.61, plus taxes. On some other hotel web sites, this rate would have initially appeared as $93. I'm left to conclude that up to .99, the software will simply display the dollar amount and hide the cents.

Since some hotel web sites display rates that are properly rounded, I wonder whether Hilton's practice is intentionally deceptive or just a software shortcoming?
Old Jun 16, 19, 12:47 pm

I think for airlines, there are rules and if they round down, it will be false advertising? Such rules probably don't exist with hotels?

I don't know how they program these things nowadays. Some programming languages come with Truncate and Round functions to do this properly. If there is no Round, then you have to add 0.5 then Truncate to achieve the same result. My guess is this is just slopping programming.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
For the initial search price I always just assume it is 1 currency unit more than what is displayed, in order to avoid this rounding issue.

What is more deceptive is that the initial price is often not the final price, but sometimes it is. For example with UK and Germany hotels, the price on initial search is the final price to be paid, but with Thailand hotels you need to mentally add 17.7% to the displayed price.

So basically the initial price search is only useful as a comparison between different hotels (if searching specific dates) or as a comparison between different dates at a specific hotel (if searching flexible dates), and I have learned to always click through to see the final all-inclusive price.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How does the Hilton website treat resort fees and other mandatory charges imposed by the hotels? Can we assume that they're not included in the room rate?
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
[...] On some other hotel web sites, this rate would have initially appeared as $93. [...]
Hyatt will increase the room rate to the next dollar. For example, $126 on the results page might turn out to be $125.10 on the booking page.
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
The resort fees and other charges are not reflected in the daily room rate, but they are listed in the rate detail if you click the link.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
Hyatt will increase the room rate to the next dollar. For example, $126 on the results page might turn out to be $125.10 on the booking page.
This makes the most sense!
Old Jun 17, 19, 8:35 pm

Programs: HH D; IHG G
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I've been noticing that Hilton.com has an inaccurate way of displaying room rates. In the initial price display, the amount is listed to the dollar, but not cents level, at least in USD and CAD rates.
No worry, this happens with rates in Euro all the time.

Here's some more creativity I found with Hilton. Take San Francisco Financial District. They had very good rates for Bay View Premium Rooms, located on floors 20, 21 and 22, like $149, I don't remember exactly. But they also have the Long Weekender rate, which is supposed to give you 50% off on Sunday. But when you select the Long Weekender Rate, the rate first jumps to BAR (or higher?), not the prepaid or semi-flex rate. This is what my confirmation said:

Rate Per Night:
Jun-14-2019 - Jun-16-2019 184.00 USD
Jun-16-2019 - Jun-17-2019 94.50 USD

I don't know, but 94.50 isn't 50% off. By selecting the so-called 50% off on Sunday-rate, you end up paying about the same as when you would select the cheapest available rate for that three night stay. There's no bargain at all, the rate is a hoax.

Something that's even more annoying about this rate and about Hilton in general:
Tried an e-checkout this morning (via the app). There's no confirmation question, press the button and you're checked out.
Also there's no way to see what they are going to charge you.

So in the e-mail I got later, the invoice showed I had been charged three nights at the full 184.00 USD, no rebate for Sunday. Now I need to see how to get my money back.

Last edited by Sisosig; Jun 18, 19 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Sisosig View Post
[Multiple counts of shenanigans by Hilton not quoted.]
Bad show, Hilton, on many levels.

Search this Thread