Another no-warning devaluation

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 18, 19, 2:05 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: username
Wiki Link
Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/...ges-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 19, 1:07 am
xyc
Original Poster

Another no-warning devaluation

Some time in the last few days, without warning or notice, Hilton raised the maximum points price of many hotel rooms by 10,000 points per night. After examining prices in several cities, I have concluded that this is the biggest overall devaluation since Hilton introduced dynamic pricing in early 2017. There is a new maximum price of 90,000 points for some hotel rooms that used to be 80,000, and Hilton also reduced the value of points towards standard rooms that cost less than the hotel maximum points by about 5% nearly across the board for the third time since introducing dynamic pricing. I am sick of this behavior. Marriott has mistreated its customers in many ways since October, but at least it gives warning to its customers before decreasing the stored value of their rewards by 5 to 20% overnight.

It was easy to foresee these actions by Hilton as soon as HonorsRepresentative posted on FlyerTalk in June 2017 that points pricing changes would no longer be announced in advance or at all. Hilton has given itself and repeatedly exercised the right to slash the value of points without warning, and its rewards program is no longer one to be trusted. Of course there is nothing we can do to stop Hilton from doing whatever it wants, but I hope that more people realize what is going on and that thinking of Hilton gives people negative feelings as it has for me for more than a year. While I continue to monitor points pricing, I voted with my feet many months ago, spent nearly all of my points, cut my Hilton stays to less than a fourth of my previous volume, and wrote Hilton to tell them why.

As you well know, Hilton probably could not care less about me, but I write here to inform people of how Hilton is treating its customers, so perhaps more people will understand the extent to which Hilton can and will screw over its customers without warning or even notice at any time, and hopefully this understanding will lead to Hilton increasingly being properly regarded as an untrustworthy company. I wish you all success in getting the best values that you can.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:17 am

Programs: United, Hilton
I just checked half dozen properties that are of greatest interest to me in Asia and Canada. I noticed points increase at only 1 of those (Tokyo Hilton), although of course this is a small sample size.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
Quick spot check for London, Berlin, Hamburg: the maximum indeed appears to have been increased for numerous properties.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I would suggest that if you are already redeeming points at the maximum level - you are probably not overly concerned with the "value" of the points

At least as in value defined as using the lowest number of points possible. Value might be better defined by a comparison to the monetary cost of booking the same room at the same time...and by what not paying monetary price allows you to instead use those funds for.

And, IMO, "storing" large balances of hotel points is never a good idea.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
I would suggest that if you are already redeeming points at the maximum level - you are probably not overly concerned with the "value" of the points

At least as in value defined as using the lowest number of points possible. Value might be better defined by a comparison to the monetary cost of booking the same room at the same time...and by what not paying monetary price allows you to instead use those funds for.

And, IMO, "storing" large balances of hotel points is never a good idea.
Not quite. You can pay max points and care very much about the value you are getting: Some of my fallback options that had a relatively attractive maximum points price for when cash rates in a metropolitan areas were high will now cost me another 10k. One appears even to be +20k.
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The concept isn't "news".

IMO if you want to draw attention to the matter you need to be specific about which hotels now cost more. It's relatively easy to keep track of the Conrad Maldives at 95K and the former sweetspots at 5-10K that are rapidly being devalued to 20K and higher.

But a vague "examining several cities" doesn't help anybody. So if you just want to rant that's your own business. If you want to help other people you need to be specific about which hotels have definitely blown though their former cap. Otherwise Hilton win the day with their "people won't really notice"...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:41 am

Programs: United, Hilton
Example

Hilton Tokyo: 60k -> 70k
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:49 am

DT Wroclaw now 30k from 20k. Far beyond the typical Ä60 I often pay to stay there.

Hilton Warsaw now 50k.

Vienna has lost its 10k hotel, now the HGI South is 20k.

So the sweet spots are once again being culled as we move to the fixed value of a point.
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:02 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
The Casa Marina in Key West FL which I booked for 80K points yesterday is 90K points today.
theavguy likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
The inevitable consequence of 160,000 points sales for $800 and welcome bonuses for several credit cards totaling over 300,000 points as well as double points on stays and generous points on everyday spend.
theavguy likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 6:33 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
DT Wroclaw now 30k from 20k. Far beyond the typical Ä60 I often pay to stay there.

Hilton Warsaw now 50k.

So the sweet spots are once again being culled as we move to the fixed value of a point.
To balance out, the dates I search in 2020 weekend, DT Warsaw was dropped to 14K, and Hilton Warsaw dropped to 24K.
So, I won't say it's increase ,it's more dynamic.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 6:58 am

Sheesh. In my case, a 25% devaluation - from 40k to 50k per night. I just love bait and switch.
theavguy and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
To balance out, the dates I search in 2020 weekend, DT Warsaw was dropped to 14K, and Hilton Warsaw dropped to 24K.
So, I won't say it's increase ,it's more dynamic.
Thatís not new. Itís an increase.

Iíve seen DT Warsaw as low as 12k. Not a surprise when rates can be as low as Ä30. And the Hilton also with such numbers because based on the new system even at 40k or 30k it was too high in points on some dates.

Hence itís incorrect to say it hasnít increased. The new upper limit is 50k for the Hilton. A truly comical rate for that hotel in a city like Warsaw.

Its increased.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post

Thatís not new. Itís an increase.

Iíve seen DT Warsaw as low as 12k. Not a surprise when rates can be as low as Ä30. And the Hilton also with such numbers because based on the new system even at 40k or 30k it was too high in points on some dates.

Hence itís incorrect to say it hasnít increased. The new upper limit is 50k for the Hilton. A truly comical rate for that hotel in a city like Warsaw.

Its increased.
To each your own. The old chart (depends on when you feel it's old or new)is 30k up to 50k (that's NOT new to me), for booking I searched, 30k to 24 k .... whatever you said. As long as you feel like it.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:43 am

Happy to have your agreement on this matter.

Search this Thread