Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
The credit card is one of the sweet spots in the program right now.
With the average point per night increasing across the portfolio, the weekend certs seemed to have increased in value...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
With the average point per night increasing across the portfolio, the weekend certs seemed to have increased in value...
Clever observation, my friend. I've used my weekend certs in Bora Bora, the Maldives, Koh Samui, etc. They are a currency that is easy to use and that has appreciated significantly vs points.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am a Hilton Gold via AMEX, so I stay with Hilton now and again. I have to say, their elite benefits are very nice - breakfast, often lounge access as a Gold, but the trade off is the insanely high number of points it takes to redeem.

FOr me, as a more casual and personal paying traveler at the moment, the Free nights seem to be the easiest to earn at Hyatt, but since I will never be a globalist with Hyatt the elite benefits are not that grate.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Clever observation, my friend. I've used my weekend certs in Bora Bora, the Maldives, Koh Samui, etc. They are a currency that is easy to use and that has appreciated significantly vs points.
I don't know, I guess I wasn't able to avail myself of the benefit well enough. But you are right, there is a lot of gain in that if you do use it.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I will gladly sell you 1,000,000 Honors points for 0.695 cents each... You would be making a tidy profit against your valuation...
I think it's worth around 0.35 CPP. I just don't redeem them unless I get 0.75 CPP, which wasn't hard historically, but is extremely hard now in the low "categories".
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by italdesign
I think it's worth around 0.35 CPP. I just don't redeem them unless I get 0.75 CPP, which wasn't hard historically, but is extremely hard now in the low "categories".
I found that in the past year+ getting .005 was good and agree the days of getting .01 is pretty much over unless one is booking a top hotel @ 95k or so

Heck I needed a hotel for a night next week, usually stayed alittle further away from where I needed to be at a Hampton for 20k, then it went up to 30k now its 40k, the $ rate after MVP is $79 Ouch! I booked with a different chain.

I can fully understand dynamic pricing but it should be a 2 way street just like JetBlue does it, they assign a value to each pt and then multiply it to determine the # of pts needed = the lower the fare the lower amount of pts needed. Seems the airlines and Hilton have instituted a min ripoff amount and no limit to the up side. In my case Hilton would need to be asking just over 20k and not 40k

Definitely time to move on
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by craz; Jun 20, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by craz
I found that in the past year+ getting .005 was god and agere the days of getting .01 is pretty much over unless one is booking a top hotel @ 95k or so

Heck I needed a hotel for a night next week, usually stayed alittle further away from where I needed to be at a Hampton for 20k, then it went up to 30k now its 40k, the $ rate after MVP is $79 Ouch! I booked with a different chain.

I can fully understand dynamic pricing but it should be a 2 way street just like JetBlue does it, they assign a value to each pt and then multiply it to determine the # of pts needed = the lower the fare the lower amount of pts needed. Seems the airlines and Hilton have instituted a min ripoff amount and no limit to the up side. In my case Hilton would need to be asking just over 20k and not 40k

Definitely time to move on
I almost always find a good value for awards. If something like the overpriced award you showed pops up, I’ll just pay cash and save the points for another stay.

I routinely burn 300-600k in award points per year, usually in 5 night chunks.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Until they pull an IHG / Chase and limit the redemption to below a certain number of points...
Boraxo and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by username
Until they pull an IHG / Chase and limit the redemption to below a certain number of points...
That would get a lot of people upset but I think we can assume to never say never.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I am a Hilton Gold via AMEX, so I stay with Hilton now and again. I have to say, their elite benefits are very nice - breakfast, often lounge access as a Gold, but the trade off is the insanely high number of points it takes to redeem.

FOr me, as a more casual and personal paying traveler at the moment, the Free nights seem to be the easiest to earn at Hyatt, but since I will never be a globalist with Hyatt the elite benefits are not that grate.
I never got lounge access as a Gold. Experience differs.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj

That would get a lot of people upset but I think we can assume to never say never.
This devaluation gets a lot of people upset. Economy is good, they don't care. Economy is bad, they need to tighten to make the numbers look good. Either way, we are screwed.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by antebellum
I never got lounge access as a Gold. Experience differs.
I had gotten some nice upgrades as a Hilton Gold. Rooms, lounge access, you name it. It really depends on what countries you travel to. I find minimal upgrades in the US, decent in Europe, and much better in Asia.

Diamond is even better.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I hope this turns away a lot of the abusers. Hilton is by far and away the best choice for me. Sure the points may be worth less, but between the massive amount I get, it's still a sizable rebate. The real winner for me is having Diamond and a friends and family rate access. You can try to say "well this chain has X" but crunching the numbers, it's still too good here.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I don't see where it's addressed: with this shift, are the hotels receiving the same per-point reimbursement on each point redeemed or was the value per point shifted downward to the detriment of the participating hotel?
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:35 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Grog
I don't see where it's addressed: with this shift, are the hotels receiving the same per-point reimbursement on each point redeemed or was the value per point shifted downward to the detriment of the participating hotel?
AFAIK the amount a hotel is paid for redemptions bears no relation to the amount of points required.
Grog and Sisyphus1carus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.