Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by escape4
The problem is that not a lot of people going to Bali will stay at the airport, except for one night only.
I was never bothered by any airport noise, and it is down the street a bit. For the points involved, I’d rather stay there than the Conrad or Hilton. I’ve also gotten better upgrades at the HGI. Most hotels in Bali, you’re going go jump in a taxi to go anywhere.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delectatio
What happened to dynamic pricing when paying with points??
I now see plenty of hotels selling cheap weekend nights (+-100 EUR) for the same amount of points as their more expensive weekday nights (200-300 EUR)??
To me, the magnitude of the increase is the problem. On top of that, the lack of transparency how they do these things with dynamic pricing is the other. How do you plan and save if things are so unpredictable?

There are a lot of people who don't care about loyalty programs because of the "the points are going to be worthless and I will never earn enough before they expire" attitude. If the loyalty programs keep changing the goal post for redemptions, more people are going to feel this way and not bother. Maybe that is what they (Hilton,United, etc.) are trying to do but it makes no sense.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
The location plays a role, and the hotel's value is now at 1c/p, which makes it a great deal. I hope they are smart and keep it that way. Even if they raise it to only 10k/night, the value becomes .5 c/p, which is average, and loses much of the appeal.
0.5 is the new 0.75, sadly.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The problem is that not a lot of people going to Bali will stay at the airport, except for one night only.
It's pretty close (but not walkable) to some tourist areas like Kuta, Jimbaran, and maybe Seminyak. It has a free shuttle to Kuta once or twice a day, I believe. Kuta and Seminyak seem a bit touristy for me. I enjoyed Sanur this time (where Hyatt Regency is) - it has a good balance. $50 USD goes a long way in Bali accommodation, I'm not sure it's worth the inconvenience to stay at this hotel. It may work for some. I will say this kind of limitation did not stop me from enjoying the somewhat remote Le Meridien Chiang Rai, whose resort environment probably makes it just a bit more convenient. Personally I'd probably save the points for something centrally located like HGI Hanoi, which was still 10k as of 2 days ago. Then again that's one of the last nicely located sweet spots left that I know of (I'm 90% sure it will devaluate in a few months); there's hardly anything left in the low levels...

Curious about Jaimito Cartero's view, since you have stayed there. I hate haggling with taxi drivers in Bali, is Grab reliable nearby? (I know it's a no-go in Ubud).

Last edited by italdesign; Jun 16, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by italdesign
It's pretty close (but not walkable) to some tourist areas like Kuta, Jimbaran, and maybe Seminyak. It has a free shuttle to Kuta once or twice a day, I believe. Kuta and Seminyak seem a bit touristy for me. I enjoyed Sanur this time (where Hyatt Regency is) - it has a good balance. $50 USD goes a long way in Bali accommodation, I'm not sure it's worth the inconvenience to stay at this hotel. It may work for some. I will say this kind of limitation did not stop me from enjoying the somewhat remote Le Meridien Chiang Rai, whose resort environment probably makes it just a bit more convenient. Personally I'd probably save the points for something centrally located like HGI Hanoi, which was still 10k as of 2 days ago. Then again that's one of the last nicely located sweet spots left that I know of (I'm 90% sure it will devaluate in a few months); there's hardly anything left in the low levels...

Curious about Jaimito Cartero's view, since you have stayed there. I hate haggling with taxi drivers in Bali, is Grab reliable nearby? (I know it's a no-go in Ubud).
I don’t haggle with taxi drivers. My wife is Indonesian and doesn’t take BS...

I’ve had good luck with the online transport companies. I have not been here much since Uber sold off, but will next month, so will report then.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Jun 17, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by italdesign
I hate haggling with taxi drivers in Bali, is Grab reliable nearby? (I know it's a no-go in Ubud).
Around 5-6pm rush hour, it is busy in the area, Grab is not reliable and you may not even be able to get a taxi going back to the hotel. From the hotel it is better...Grab is very reliable for food delivery, but perhaps less so for transport at peak times, a couple of times I tried, but maybe ok other times, don't know. Booking a driver for the day is the best deal, $30-35 for 10 hours, sometimes cheaper with Expedia coupons.
Boraxo and italdesign like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Loyalty Lobby published today a list of 1,000 properties that went up in June, most by 10k points....my condolences for your points….
Boraxo, DiverDave and hugolover like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Great for divers heading to Wakatobi or some of the Raja Ampat or Komodo liveaboards needing an overnight, though.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Conrad Algarve going up to 90k is disappointing! I’m also very surprised they are raising so many hotels in Turkey since paid stays can typically be had at a good rate right now.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Peculiar that categories don’t exist and the jumps are all 10k like the categories were. Lol. There is no evidence they exist.

90k for Conrad Algarve! What a joke! 95k is the WA AMS.

I feel that ceiling (exc WA Maldives) is going away before the year is out.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Strange Logic.

This latest points devaluation is very strange because, at a standard 10K points increase, the lower end properties are seeing 30-100% increases in price, while the higher end properties might see only a 10-20% increase. It's almost as if someone screwed-up in IT and just did a flat, brute-force increase without thinking about the logic behind it.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This latest points devaluation is very strange because at a standard 10K points increase, the lower end properties are seeing 30-100% increases in price, while the higher end properties might see only a 10-20% increase. It's almost as if someone screwed-up in IT and just did a flat, blunt-force increase without thinking about the logic behind it.
Very strange that the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills is still 95K points while many DoubleTrees and HGI in Europe in big cities are 60,000 or so
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Pretty funny that the Hilton SF Union Square and Parc 55 are both 70,000 points while the St Regis SF is at 60,000 Marriott points. At the 35,000 to 50,000 point level, you can get a whole lot more with Marriott. Obviously Hilton points so much easier to earn, but still...
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Loyalty Lobby published today a list of 1,000 properties that went up in June, most by 10k points....my condolences for your points….
A long and depressing list......
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)

Link here:
https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/...ges-june-2019/

Pdf file (32 pages long !)
https://loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/...-June-2019.pdf
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.