Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Like many others I have no interest in Maldives or Bora Bora but curious about these exciting 5k properties. Where pray tell are these wonderful gems located?
Mostly Turkey with a healthy amount of Egypt and Mexico. There are two New Mexico properties that are useful for national parks at 10k.

https://pointsexplorer.hiltonhonors.com/list
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by KenH_Atlanta
Doubletree Culver City, CA (LA): 40K->50K
Sigh..
actually DT Culver City is one of those surge pricing properties for points stays. You can still stay there for closer to 40k depending on the date.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by zombietooth
McDermitt, Nevada? Don't miss the mercury mine tour!
Nothing that even remotely resembles a Hilton affiliated property in McDermitt...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It makes far more sense to walk away from Hilton than to adjust to spending massive amounts of points (earned how exactly???) on really high-end hotels.
My strategy is to earn the points by paying cash at mid-range hotels; thanks to non-stop promos plus credit card bonuses and you can indeed earn massive amounts of points. Then spend them on the high-end hotels. I cannot remember the last time I used points for anything except a top hotel or a low-end hotel at 5-10k points, except for a quick night booked at the last minute here and there for 30-60k pts when cash rates were abnormally high and I was stuck in a bind without being able to plan ahead.

I realize many people have no interest in these top properties and then in that case the correct conclusion might be that the Hilton program is possibly a bad fit, unfortunately. But for top properties Hilton remains valuable, in fact sometimes more valuable (relatively speaking) than Hyatt and Marriott. Only problem is that it's only <1% of Hilton properties.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:19 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Like many others I have no interest in Maldives or Bora Bora but curious about these exciting 5k properties. Where pray tell are these wonderful gems located?
Iirc, the last two 5K properties in the U.S. were the Hampton Inns in Cleburne, Texas, and Columbus, Georgia. (I have stayed at the former; a very nice Hampton).

The Lordsburg and Deming, New Mexico, Hampton Inns are still 10K
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Hilton Bentley Miami Beach 80 to 90, with a few scattered 87's in the near future, but all 90 after that.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
My strategy is to earn the points by paying cash at mid-range hotels; thanks to non-stop promos plus credit card bonuses and you can indeed earn massive amounts of points. Then spend them on the high-end hotels. I cannot remember the last time I used points for anything except a top hotel or a low-end hotel at 5-10k points, except for a quick night booked at the last minute here and there for 30-60k pts when cash rates were abnormally high and I was stuck in a bind without being able to plan ahead.

I realize many people have no interest in these top properties and then in that case the correct conclusion might be that the Hilton program is possibly a bad fit, unfortunately. But for top properties Hilton remains valuable, in fact sometimes more valuable (relatively speaking) than Hyatt and Marriott. Only problem is that it's only <1% of Hilton properties.
I booked a five night stay at the Casa Marina for 320K points just before this devaluation which was a .07 return on points, now it would be closer to .06 which is still decent.

Looking to burn more points I booked two nights at 30k MCO properties, one was around $170 the other over $200 cash rate.

This leaves me with 280K points which still gets me five nights at the Doubletree Resort in Key West for a trip next year so I have shifted my credit card spending elsewhere.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by escape4

This is close to my strategy as well. I burn points mostly for higher end / peak times properties, 5 night stays. While earning at a never-ending string of HGI and DT with the occasional Hampton Inn thrown in.... Even with this round of devaluation i will continue to get decent enough return for that type of travel.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
Originally Posted by evergrn

actually DT Culver City is one of those surge pricing properties for points stays. You can still stay there for closer to 40k depending on the date.
We stay there 2-3 times a year. It used to be 40K consistently. I can't find anything less than 48K checking randomly through Feb '20.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Property Reimbursement Rate?

Does anyone know how much a property gets paid by Hilton Corporate per point for award stays?
Or, is perhaps the reimbursement rate dependent only on each individual property's revenue management dataset and have nothing to do with points at all?

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 15, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Does anyone know how much a property gets paid by Hilton Corporate per point for award stays?
Or, is perhaps the reimbursement rate dependent only on each individual property's revenue management dataset and have nothing to do with points at all?
From what I read it is a token amount if the property has available rooms and close to the cash rate if it is fully occupied.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:30 pm

I booked the Waldorf London for 5 nights May 2020 using points!! The location in the West End is perfect. Fifth night free with points . After reading these posts, I decided best to book . If I have to cancel, points will be returned. Wish there was a list of hotels and their points.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If you have the points, in this climate, you should be booking speculatively, left and right...Just be careful of the cancellation policies, lol...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by KenH_Atlanta
We stay there 2-3 times a year. It used to be 40K consistently. I can't find anything less than 48K checking randomly through Feb '20.
At the moment I get:
43k Nov 24
47k Dec 1
44k Dec 8
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
From what I read it is a token amount if the property has available rooms and close to the cash rate if it is fully occupied.
So, if that is the case, then most of the benefit from the latest point increases accrues to Hilton Corporate, not to the property owners. In fact, a mundane property will likely see points redemptions decrease significantly because it will be perceived as a poor value, and it is likely that they would have many more unsold room-nights per year and less total revenue.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 15, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.