Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
It looks like Hilton Wikiki Beach also went up to 60K from 50K for January 2020.

Last edited by 360guy; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:30 pm Reason: more information
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
The no-notice devaluations are an unfortunate (and inexcusable) Hilton hallmark, and one of the reasons it's my third program (after Marriott and Hyatt). It's been a difficult program for finding good redemption values for several years now, and that is clearly going to be even more true going forward.

IMO the outrage here is fully warranted, particularly from those who've acquired their points the hard way (i.e., through stays).

If you want to send a message to Hilton, cancel your credit cards.
Just cancelled my Ascend 2 minutes ago citing the recent point devaluation to CSR, I would love to keep Aspire.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Just cancelled my Ascend 2 minutes ago citing the recent point devaluation to CSR, I would love to keep Aspire.
As I am outside of the US and therefore have no cards to cancel, I have sent them feedback through their website, Tweeter and Facebook. I suggest everyone does the same.

It won't make them roll back the increases, but it might give them some pause for thought if enough of us voice our discontent.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
None of my current properties that I often visit have increased, including my favorite 5k property. It does suck that many others have increased. I hate these stealth increases.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess without award charts, they can't really quantify the increases or decreases in announcements.

My problem is more with the huge magnitude of the increase.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:29 pm

I said it a year ago when they first begun the stealthy property category increases; I expect Category 3 (20,000 points) to be the new lowest standard tier with-in 2 years. Hilton has slashed the Cat 2 properties to only 15 in the US and I expect the rest of the world to follow in the upcoming months. By the end of next year every hotel will be at a minimum 20,000 points IMO.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
FTFY

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am delighted that HH worked for those who want free rooms in bakersfield, but not so good for high $$$ locations.
But really, after all these devals, the best deals are squarely at the top. 60k for a $200 room in a standard big city, or 80k for a $750 room in Maldives / Bora Bora.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Conrad Osaka is now up to 95000 points for the nights that I just spot checked. Previously it was 80,000 or maybe 88,000. The 95,000 price is definitely new.
Conrad Osaka was 80k when it first opened. Earn and burn!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Some chat about this over on loyalty lobby....

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/11/...rly-june-2019/
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:29 am

For everyone praising hotels.com, note that you can't earn free nights when you use coupons. And you can't get AAA rate either, which is typically 10% off the hotels.com rate. Sure there are sales, but I think if you're not using coupons you're storing your money for a future hotels.com voucher instead of cash. Quite a shabby loyalty program IMO.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Due in part to this change, I decided to use my last personal card Amex slot on the Marriott Brilliant card instead of the Aspire - Marriott points are harder to come by, and the $300 Marriott credit seems easier to use for me than the resort credits on the Aspire. I may still get the Aspire eventually (I already have the ascend), but it is hard to stomach several $400+ fees...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by klanfa
For everyone praising hotels.com, note that you can't earn free nights when you use coupons. And you can't get AAA rate either, which is typically 10% off the hotels.com rate. Sure there are sales, but I think if you're not using coupons you're storing your money for a future hotels.com voucher instead of cash. Quite a shabby loyalty program IMO.
That is one heck of a blanket statement. When I go to places like Las Vegas and Reno, I normally find that hotels.com gets me a much better deal than Hilton. OTOH, I admit I've never found a use for hotels.com in Bakersfield.

At least the hotels.com buy 10 get one free means what it says (and can be used for a partial discount at expensive hotels), unlike Hilton Honors, that means buy 10, get one free if you want to stay in Bakersfield.
Boraxo and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
i started shifting some of my stays to hotels.com last year as part of my free agent approach. There are times when an independent or smaller chain hotel with no suitable loyalty program discount is the best choice for me, and hotels.com then provides options. DoC has a post about how to use hotels.com efficiently.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/compl...s-com-save-33/

I was looking at booking some Hilton stays in Europe last week, and when I finally got around to finalizing my itinerary on Sunday they had all increased their award rates by 10k points. That cost me 70k points in one fell swoop.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
FTFY

But really, after all these devals, the best deals are squarely at the top. 60k for a $200 room in a standard big city, or 80k for a $750 room in Maldives / Bora Bora.
Those deals are about as far apart as you can get on the redemption spectrum - they can't both be best.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
For everyone praising hotels.com...
Quite a shabby loyalty program IMO.
As opposed to one that regularly devalues your points with no notice? Is your opinion that you are pleased to have the value of your stored points disappear such that you can't reliably plan aspirational travel?

Even the programs that DO give notice like IHG (barely) or Hyatt, I've had 25-50% devaluations hit hotels that I've stayed at and would happily redeem at again in the space of a year or two (I got whacked in the latest IHG and Hyatt devaluations for 2019, and not for fancy five star places either). So walking from Hilton over to (insert_chain_name_here) isn't really going to help me.

I'm fully aware of the limitations of hotels.com (and I fully expect them to someday pull the trigger on a devaluation), but at least 10% is 10%, not some vague aspirational number of points that gets changed at a whim in a completely non-transparent manner.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I was looking at booking some Hilton stays in Europe last week, and when I finally got around to finalizing my itinerary on Sunday they had all increased their award rates by 10k points. That cost me 70k points in one fell swoop.
Yeah, this is pretty much exactly why I'm finding hotel loyalty programs to be less and less useful. In a devaluation environment, you're either a sucker for holding on to point value while it disappears like snow in a Chinook wind, or you're just burning your value as fast as you can (or your corporate travel accumulates points so fast you CAN'T spend them all, in which case, you probably don't even care).
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.