FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Thinking of jumping onto Hilton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1972739-thinking-jumping-onto-hilton.html)

uscgto Jun 5, 2019 6:05 am

Thinking of jumping onto Hilton

Typically stay 18-24 nights a month in Hotels.. Typical spend $3500-4000/month

It was Marriott (Titanium), last few months with occasional Hilton (Diamond). Now with Marriott's promotion ending, I am wondering if I should go for Hilton.

Mariott
I do have the BONVOY CC, so the points earned were close to (10x + 7.5x + 6x) Plus another 10x for the recently ended promotion = 33.5 points / $

Hilton
With Hilton, as a Diamond, I am getting 10x + 10x + another 10x for double point promotion and if I were to apply credit card, it'll be another 12 / 14 points. = 44 points / $

Since I am already Diamond, I was wondering if I should go for Ascend CC (12x)or Aspire CC (14x). I also have Amex Platinum.
$3500 x 12 = 42000 vs 3500 x 14 = 49000. Difference of 7k points / month.

arlflyer Jun 5, 2019 6:46 am

Math sounds spot on to me. I generally hit the numbers that you list, and my historical return on spend (ratio of best available rate for nights redeemed / total spend at Hilton) has always been in the range of 20-25%. The 49K marginal points is probably around about $250 in value (so that takes the marginal cost down to 450 - 95 - 250 = $105). If you use the resort credit, airline fee credit, and/or WA/Conrad credit from the Aspire you come out ahead. Annual weekend night is a wash because with the Ascend you'll still hit the spend requirement.

I've been a 50/50 Hilton/MR guy lately, Diamond at HH and Plat at MR; I've found my personal return to be better at Hilton, YMMV. I think that for someone doing as many stays as you, splitting and getting top tier at both is a good diversification play (especially if you're going to places where the footprints might be complementary or one chain might not have a presence). Just my opinion.

uscgto Jun 5, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31172634)
Math sounds spot on to me. I generally hit the numbers that you list, and my historical return on spend (ratio of best available rate for nights redeemed / total spend at Hilton) has always been in the range of 20-25%. The 49K marginal points is probably around about $250 in value (so that takes the marginal cost down to 450 - 95 - 250 = $105). If you use the resort credit, airline fee credit, and/or WA/Conrad credit from the Aspire you come out ahead. Annual weekend night is a wash because with the Ascend you'll still hit the spend requirement.

I've been a 50/50 Hilton/MR guy lately, Diamond at HH and Plat at MR; I've found my personal return to be better at Hilton, YMMV. I think that for someone doing as many stays as you, splitting and getting top tier at both is a good diversification play (especially if you're going to places where the footprints might be complementary or one chain might not have a presence). Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

It's comforting to hear opinion (positive or negative) from someone in similar shoes.

I fly 6-8 times a week. So I am sure I can split the airline incidental cost between my Platinum and Hilton Aspire (if I apply for one). Resort fee as well, of course.

I forgot to add, the biggest plus at Hilton lately:

- For about 10% extra cost - I have a proper suite kitchen (I really like to cook and meal prep for 2-3 days, ever few days) vs a 1 bedroom with Marriott.
- The aforementioned Hilton property (Homewood suites) shares parking lot with my next fav 4 points Sheraton and happen to be in one of the best parts of the town

I think I'll just splurge for a Hilton Aspire card and get slightly more points to start with and higher earning potential (14x vs 12 x and 7x vs 6x)

arlflyer Jun 5, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31172917)
For about 10% extra cost - I have a proper suite kitchen (I really like to cook and meal prep for 2-3 days, ever few days) vs a 1 bedroom with Marriott.

Homewoods are great. Especially considering that MR handicaps RI properties with the 50% points earning restriction.

Cledaybuck Jun 5, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31172537)
Since I am already Diamond, I was wondering if I should go for Ascend CC (12x)or Aspire CC (14x). I also have Amex Platinum.

What else (if anything) will you be putting on the card? Because the bonus categories are not the same. Ascend has groceries, restaurants, and gas stations at 6X, where aspire has flights, car rentals and restaurants at 7X. My particular spending pattern gives me more points on ascend. My guess if you would be better with the aspire based on the hotel spend, but you would have to do the math for yourself.

ScrewTheAverage Jun 5, 2019 11:43 am

It's always nice be able to double and triple stack multipliers (bonuses, status, credit card, etc.). It's especially useful/beneficial when one racks up so many points because of work obligations.

Safe Travels!

nycflyer17 Jun 5, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by uscgto (Post 31172537)
Typically stay 18-24 nights a month in Hotels.. Typical spend $3500-4000/month

It was Marriott (Titanium), last few months with occasional Hilton (Diamond). Now with Marriott's promotion ending, I am wondering if I should go for Hilton.

Mariott
I do have the BONVOY CC, so the points earned were close to (10x + 7.5x + 6x) Plus another 10x for the recently ended promotion = 33.5 points / $

Hilton
With Hilton, as a Diamond, I am getting 10x + 10x + another 10x for double point promotion and if I were to apply credit card, it'll be another 12 / 14 points. = 44 points / $

Are you considering what each point is worth? Marriott points are worth well more than Hilton points.

Cledaybuck Jun 5, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 31173985)
Are you considering what each point is worth? Marriott points are worth well more than Hilton points.

Marriott points are worth more, but I am not sure I would say well more. Maybe 1.5x's as much.

arlflyer Jun 5, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 31173985)

Not always when normalized by ease to acquire. I've posted example math elsewhere before. All else held constant, for a high-tier elite earning on stays and spending on a co-branded credit card, the comparative ratio of points earned at Hilton versus Marriott is often higher than the ratio of points required for a comparable room redemption between the two chains.

nycflyer17 Jun 5, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31174278)
Not always when normalized by ease to acquire. I've posted example math elsewhere before. All else held constant, for a high-tier elite earning on stays and spending on a co-branded credit card, the comparative ratio of points earned at Hilton versus Marriott is often higher than the ratio of points required for a comparable room redemption between the two chains.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with what the points themselves are worth. If you have 100,000 Marriott points and 100,000 Hilton points, which do you think you'll get more value from? Of course you can incorporate ease at which the respective currencies are earned, and in that case Hilton may come out on top even when considering the objectively lower value of Hilton points outside of perhaps a few extremely expensive resorts. Not saying OP shouldn't move to Hilton, just noting that Marriott points are in fact worth more.

nycflyer17 Jun 5, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 31174139)
Marriott points are worth more, but I am not sure I would say well more. Maybe 1.5x's as much.

I haven't done the math, but yea, at least that much. Anecdotally I'd say higher. Of course you have to weigh it against how easy they are to earn in this case.

If OP is getting a similar number of points in each scenario and isn't wedded to either brand, seems Marriott would give more value all things being equal.

arlflyer Jun 5, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 31174292)
Sure, but that has nothing to do with what the points themselves are worth. If you have 100,000 Marriott points and 100,000 Hilton points, which do you think you'll get more value from? Of course you can incorporate ease at which the respective currencies are earned, and in that case Hilton may come out on top

LOL, you don't exactly understand how currencies work, do you? Here, I have 100,000 Thai Baht. I'll trade them to you for 100,000 U.S. Dollars and then we can chat. Don't worry about how I earned them; it's not relevant.

nycflyer17 Jun 5, 2019 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31174340)
LOL, you don't exactly understand how currencies work, do you? Here, I have 100,000 Thai Baht. I'll trade them to you for 100,000 U.S. Dollars and then we can chat. Don't worry about how I earned them; it's not relevant.

Okaayyyy...

Anyway, there are two variables here: 1. What a currency is worth. 2. How easy it is to earn. I was referring to the 1st only, and noting the variability in value between Marriott and Hilton. Hence my example of having the same number of each and one being worth more than the other. Obviously you consider the ease at which they are earned, which it appeared OP already was doing by comparing his earn rate per dollar. In the initial post, he did not seem to be consider the value of each. Hence my post.

In any case your example is battling it out with a straw man. If that satisfies, by all means.

uscgto Jun 5, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by smoaky (Post 31174306)
I haven't done the math, but yea, at least that much. Anecdotally I'd say higher. Of course you have to weigh it against how easy they are to earn in this case.

If OP is getting a similar number of points in each scenario and isn't wedded to either brand, seems Marriott would give more value all things being equal.

Personally I feel Marriott points are higher in value than Hilton. But in my case, a personal preference - available kitchen rules.
And, I still plan on running Marriott stays / night as they bring over new promotions.

My last one at Marriott was was 1500 for 1st stay and 3000 for second stay a total of 4500 bonus points.

I had one night reserved at a 4 points for $92 and Got (10 + 7.5 - titanium + 6 - bonvoy cc)
92 x (23.5) + 1500 points
= 2162 + 1500
= 3662 points

Second night , incidentally was same Sheraton 1 week apart, since i had to delay mu flight last moment for $110.
110 x (23.5) + 3000
= 2585 + 3000
= 5585

So 9247 points for spending $202 over 2 nights.

Hilton is running double points and Diamond Status gets points too. but I understand that Marriott are more valuable.

Points Scrounger Jun 6, 2019 8:55 am

In addition to the double points, there are bonuses after 15 stays during the promo period.