Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of jumping onto Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
In addition to the double points, there are bonuses after 15 stays during the promo period.
Looking not just at the past quarter, there is almost always a Hilton promotion going on. There are many times where Marriott has nothing, including right now if I am not mistaken.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
In addition to the double points, there are bonuses after 15 stays during the promo period.
Correct, I do intend to split my stays so as to hit those milestones. 25 nights a month can easily be split into 5-6 stays.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Looking not just at the past quarter, there is almost always a Hilton promotion going on. There are many times where Marriott has nothing, including right now if I am not mistaken.
Also correct, While I am relatively new to Hilton, I have realized that Marriott promotion is on and off. I do intend to hit every single Marriott promotion though.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Also, Hilton gives credit for points stays, both full points and cash co-pay, as eligible for promotion credit.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uscgto
TThinking of jumping onto Hilton
Have you asked for their permission?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Have you asked for their permission?
No, not quite, but they are offering incentives to jump onto them.. so must be okay... lol.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
LOL, you don't exactly understand how currencies work, do you? Here, I have 100,000 Thai Baht. I'll trade them to you for 100,000 U.S. Dollars and then we can chat. Don't worry about how I earned them; it's not relevant.
You're confusing exchange rate with use value.

The only thing that really matters is the proportions of the amount of spend relative to redemption. You didn't have to do much to earn those 100K Thai Baht. You have to do a LOT to get 100K USD. Same thing with these affinity programs. Hilton redemptions may cost more points, but their points are easier to get in large quantities. So, how much spend does it take to earn the number of points needed for a redemption at comparable properties? Maybe Hilton demands 80K for a Hilton property, and Marriott only 60K for a comparable Marriott property--but if you paid to stay at both (let's pretend they have identical rates), you might well earn many more points at the Hilton. So you're getting (for the sake of argument) 1 million Thai Baht for your stay at Hilton, but only $100 USD for your stay at Marriott.

So, how you earn them is not only relevant--it's also critical. The artificially monetized value of each point is the thing that is actually irrelevant.
MP001 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm also Titanium and Diamond.

Pros for Hilton: Points and stays post far more reliably. Good footprint (similar to Marriott's in fact) in that you can find hotels in secondary and tertiary cities if that's something you need.

Cons for Hilton: Upgrades for Diamonds are incredibly rare. Late checkout benefit is nonexistent. No choice benefits like Marriott Platinum and Titanium.

Diamond is pretty easy to keep so I'm able to maintain both but if you're coming from Marriott with the exception of the Hilton IT being better, prepare for disappointment.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm also Titanium and Diamond.

Pros for Hilton: Points and stays post far more reliably. Good footprint (similar to Marriott's in fact) in that you can find hotels in secondary and tertiary cities if that's something you need.

Cons for Hilton: Upgrades for Diamonds are incredibly rare. Late checkout benefit is nonexistent. No choice benefits like Marriott Platinum and Titanium.

Diamond is pretty easy to keep so I'm able to maintain both but if you're coming from Marriott with the exception of the Hilton IT being better, prepare for disappointment.
The upgrades and late checkouts, do they refer to hotels in the USA?
In Asia almost every stay is upgraded and 3pm checkout approved
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beano
The upgrades and late checkouts, do they refer to hotels in the USA?
In Asia almost every stay is upgraded and 3pm checkout approved
Yes most of my travel is in the United States. Treatment in Asia is better across the board at all chains.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Not a great analogy because the OP is comparing points earned per dollar spent, so there is a nominal basis of comparison between the two programs.

I haven't analyzed it extensively, but I have been lifetime top-tier (now Titanium) on Marriott for years and Hilton Diamond off and on, including currently, and find Marriott points significantly more valuable.

Last edited by mecabq; Jun 14, 2019 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Jet Blue, UAL, IH G Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I recently joined Hilton Honors and got the AE Ascend card mainly because I wanted to stay at the Conrad in Fort Lauderdale. Had a great stay and more than made up for the $95 fee for the credit card. So I thought I’d try the new Homewood Suites in Providence. The corner room looked good and was about $10 more expensive than the basic room. The basic room was 50000 points - but the upgraded room was 111,000 points. This doesn’t make sense at all and has caused me to rethink this whole program. I ended up booking the Renaissance which I know from past experience is very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.