Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Surpass Hilton credit card

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Amex Surpass Hilton credit card

A couple of years ago Amex offered a Surpass card with an annual Hilton free weekend night certificate without any annual spend requirements on the card. It was a great deal and I took advantage of the offer. Trying to get the annual date of the certificate issuance has been a nightmare. Amex agents keep telling me the account shows a $15,000 spend is required. Hilton tells me to call Amex. Finally today, after hours on the phone I was able to get the answer I wanted, the annual issuance date. Has others had the same experience in trying to use the benefit? What phone number do you call to get information?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:43 am

I applied under a similar offer in 2017, 100k HIlton points and one free weekend night certificate on the anniversary of card issuance (provided you pay the AF for year two). It was only for one certificate, not every year, if you wanted another certificate the next year, it required the 15k spend.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klew97
I applied under a similar offer in 2017, 100k HIlton points and one free weekend night certificate on the anniversary of card issuance (provided you pay the AF for year two). It was only for one certificate, not every year, if you wanted another certificate the next year, it required the 15k spend.
The offer I applied under offered a free weekend night each year regardless of the amount of spend. I have received two certificates and another is due soon. The offer was well covered on several mileage blogs at the time. I am surprised we have not heard more written about it.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
But it is no longer a Surpass card.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Surpass card was replaced by the Ascend card at the start of 2018, and the benefits changed at the same time as the name.

Also at the start of 2018, the higher-up Aspire card was launched, and Aspire is now the HH card that gives a free weekend night cert with no spend.

The other thing that you have to understand is that prior to 2018, there were two banks (Citi and HH) competing for HH customers, but from the start of 2018 there's only been one (Amex) so they don't need to compete with anyone any more.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The Surpass card was replaced by the Ascend card at the start of 2018, and the benefits changed at the same time as the name.

Also at the start of 2018, the higher-up Aspire card was launched, and Aspire is now the HH card that gives a free weekend night cert with no spend.

The other thing that you have to understand is that prior to 2018, there were two banks (Citi and HH) competing for HH customers, but from the start of 2018 there's only been one (Amex) so they don't need to compete with anyone any more.
I finally got the answer I wanted and expected. Annually, without any spend requirement Amex sends the certificate and certificate number to HH. Until Amex issues the certificate HH can not see it. I was assured by Amex it will happen, we will see.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American Express Hilton Ascend To Become Hilton Surpass Again (DoC)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrlasssen

The offer I applied under offered a free weekend night each year regardless of the amount of spend. I have received two certificates and another is due soon. The offer was well covered on several mileage blogs at the time. I am surprised we have not heard more written about it.
The Surpass only offered a free weekend night on the first anniversary. The Citi Hilton Reserve, which auto-converted to the Surpass/Ascend, offered two free weekend nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.