Hotels point availabilty

Old May 30, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Hotels point availabilty

Quick question... Fairly new to Hilton

I am looking at award availability and in the hotel list for the city it shows a particular hotel at 70,000 for my dates but once I go into that specifc hotel the award level is significantly higher.... Is that normal?
Old May 30, 19, 2:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
It's not normal, but it can happen, have you checked every rate and room type? If you say which hotel someone else can double check for you...
Old May 30, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH D; IHG G
Yes, sorry this is true, I'm answering on behalf of Hilton. Sometimes we say it's X but when you try to book it we make it YZ. This is normal, hotels are exempt from doing fair business. On the other hand: if you book a room points-only, we won't fabricate any additional fees.
Old May 30, 19, 4:53 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
Quick question... Fairly new to Hilton

I am looking at award availability and in the hotel list for the city it shows a particular hotel at 70,000 for my dates but once I go into that specifc hotel the award level is significantly higher.... Is that normal?
It sounds like the 70,000 availability is for a Standard Award, and that when you click through you're only shown Premium Awards.

This happens, IME, when there is Standard Award availability, but only if you click on show "Accessible Rooms" on the left sidebar. I suggest you try that for the hotel you're looking at.

This has been discussed in this forum, and FTers have shared that when they book the Standard Award for an accessible room (because there is no regular Standard rooms showing available), that they leave a note in the comment field explaining that an accessible room is not required. That way the hotel can see fit to allocate the accessible room to someone who actually needs it.

Edited to add:
Also make sure that all bed types are checked on that left sidebar to see all the inventory.
Old May 30, 19, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by JBD View Post
It sounds like the 70,000 availability is for a Standard Award, and that when you click through you're only shown Premium Awards.

snip /
This happens, IME, when there is Standard Award availability, but only if you click on show "Accessible Rooms" on the left sidebar. I suggest you try that for the hotel you're looking at.....
/smip
this is it exactly! Thanks so much!

Is there anything wrong with picking one of these rooms? Something seems a little wrong to me when I don't require a hearing impaired room.
Old May 31, 19, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Is there anything wrong with picking one of these rooms? Something seems a little wrong to me when I don't require a hearing impaired room.
You will almost certainly be given a regular room, or upgraded if someone genuinely impaired needs the room.

It's a scam that some hotels use to limit the number of "standard" rooms available using points. Don't feel bad about fighting back against these scams...
Old May 31, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE

I view this the same way I view the accessible stall in a public restroom. I steer clear unless its the only one available.If it's the only one available, I use it.

I had a long term (two month) stay at an HGI, and the desk clerk suggested that she put me in an accessible room because there's so much more space in it. Seems like at least at that hotel, the demand for accessible rooms is fairly light.

Search this Thread