Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to the worst room?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Upgrade to the worst room?

I just wonder how the average Hilton Diamond guest will react in following scenario. You are a steady guest in a hotel 8 - 10 times a year (since years), the hotel knows all your preferences (King bed, Non-Smoking, room away from the street, and far away from the elevators). You look in the app and the app shows you the perfect room (even one of the new renovated rooms - all perfect).

At check in they give a room facing the street (and trains), just by the elevator with two Queen beds. When talking to the reception they tell you that they are fully booked and the only other room you can have is a smoking room facing the courtyard.

When you insist to get a room like booked (King room) they tell you that you already got a nice upgrade since the room they gave you is a DeLuxe room with river view (technical you can see the river across the street and the trains).

So you have the choice, sleeping in a noisy, a smelly room or walk away. What would you guys do? And do you expect to pay for the room if you walk?
Old May 27, 2019, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Size
I just wonder how the average Hilton Diamond guest will react in following scenario. You are a steady guest in a hotel 8 - 10 times a year (since years), the hotel knows all your preferences (King bed, Non-Smoking, room away from the street, and far away from the elevators). You look in the app and the app shows you the perfect room (even one of the new renovated rooms - all perfect).

At check in they give a room facing the street (and trains), just by the elevator with two Queen beds. When talking to the reception they tell you that they are fully booked and the only other room you can have is a smoking room facing the courtyard.

When you insist to get a room like booked (King room) they tell you that you already got a nice upgrade since the room they gave you is a DeLuxe room with river view (technical you can see the river across the street and the trains).

So you have the choice, sleeping in a noisy, a smelly room or walk away. What would you guys do? And do you expect to pay for the room if you walk?
I would be thoroughly pissed.
Generally the room booked should be delivered, and the optional upgrade is to be an improvement on what was booked.
  • In this case you booked a king room, non smoking and that should set the bar.
  • To then get a twin room, upgraded or not, is not on so you would have a reason to reject the room and revert to the originally booked room.
  • Then to go from a non smoking room to a smoking room, also not on (as long as in the booking you selected a non smoking room)..
  • Again, it all depends what you specifically booked. Some hotels let you choose river view or city view rooms. In those cases they need too provide what you booked. Where you book a simple king bed room, they can put you in any king bed room.
  • Generally I take a screenshot of the app with the room number selected and ask why they gave away the room you checked in for.
The minimum they should have provided was a non smoking king room (assuming that is what you specifically booked).

It is worth speaking to the duty manager or GM.

Globalist
Old May 27, 2019, 9:43 am

Does this really need to be rehashed in yet another thread? There was one very recently that likely captured just about all viewpoints on the issue of guaranteed vs requested room types.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.