Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

PREMIUM ROOM REWARDS -- Hilton Honors Special

Old May 16, 19, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi

Is this a new designation? It costs less than a standard room booking. Anyone have any idea on how to seek these specials out?

Unfortunately, you still can't stack 5th night free with it
Old May 16, 19, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What is your example? (Property, dates.) I haven't encountered this myself.
Old May 16, 19, 12:14 pm
Community Director

I've seen it very randomly. I've assumed it is when rates are running lower than expected at the hotel and that the premium rooms are indexed against rates. Of course I could be very wrong in that explanation. In any case, I always scan all the redemption levels. If premium is fewer points, great. Sometimes, even when it is more, I'll take it to be assured of a larger room.
Old May 16, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy gold. hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX, Citi
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Surprisingly over a very busy summer weekend at Conrad Chicago

Old May 16, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
In my experience it has applied to higher level rooms. I booked a week stay at Grand Wailea with cash and points. Booked into a higher level Napua Tower room at the cost for a standard room rate with some points for the upgrade. They called a Premium Room Reward.
Old May 16, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I've seen it very randomly. I've assumed it is when rates are running lower than expected at the hotel and that the premium rooms are indexed against rates. Of course I could be very wrong in that explanation. In any case, I always scan all the redemption levels. If premium is fewer points, great. Sometimes, even when it is more, I'll take it to be assured of a larger room.
Conrad Cartagena does it regularly, so I don't quite believe the "lower rates than expected" argument.

I've generally assumed that Honors reimburses premium rooms at a higher rate than standard rooms (otherwise hotels would just charge billions of points for premium rooms) so some hotels play games with an overly high "award category" (although that no longer exists) to push people towards premium room awards based on an algorithm...
Old May 16, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH D; IHG G
It's still a poor deal, I think. If the flexible rate is $300, the premium room reward should only be 60K points, not 69K.

I think Hilton points are of very poor value these days. Can spend about 250K points with both Hilton and IHG. Shortly I'm going on a road trip to California and Oregon, with hotel rates going through the roof this year. But with IHG I can find loads of places to stay at 15K, 20K or 25K. Some even are $200 a night at the best available rate. With Hilton you can hardly find any Hampton Inn room lower than 40K.

The only poor thing with IHG is that reward nights don't count for promotions. But with the current promo I only need to stay 7 paid nights to get 58000 bonus points. Along with the regular points and other promos that means: almost 10K points a night. So: stay 2 nights, spend a night on us at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old May 16, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: Honors Gold; AA Ex Plat
Also, correct me if wrong, but these lower rates don't qualify for 5th night free.
Old May 16, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I've definitely seen this sporadically over the past few years too, where a premium/upgraded room will be on special for less points than the standard. Grab them if you can.
Old May 16, 19, 5:43 pm

There is no special - just a typical crappy 0.4c/pt redemption based on cheap rate. And no point earning bringing it down even more (but no taxes either)
Old May 16, 19, 10:31 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Nothing special about the premium room redemption rate, but the standard room should really be 65K points.
Old May 16, 19, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by BLazarus22 View Post
Also, correct me if wrong, but these lower rates don't qualify for 5th night free.
If the booking is all points it does qualify for 5th night free.
Old May 17, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER View Post
If the booking is all points it does qualify for 5th night free.
Don't circulate misinformation please.

Premium room rewards don't have 5th night free.
Old May 17, 19, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Don't circulate misinformation please.

Premium room rewards don't have 5th night free.
+1 That is correct. Recently the Hilton Tokyo offered both a lower Premium Room award redemption, and a higher Standard Room redemption. The latter offered the 5th night free, whereas the former did not.
Old May 17, 19, 10:26 pm

I saw the same when I booked a Hilton Québec for August. The Standard Room Award was 50k while the Premium Room Award was 46k. I happily took it obviously.

Search this Thread