Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does gifting points count against the 80,000 annual limit?

Old May 12, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I bought my mother 40,000 points for Mother’s Day (which turn to 80,000 with the current promotion). Am I limited to buying 40,000 for myself now or can I buy the full 80,000?
Old May 13, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
What matters is the recipient.

You can't buy 80K for yourself and then be gifted more points by somebody else.

But you can certainly gift 80k to as many different people as you like. But be careful if you are gifting to your dog, cat, etc. with the intention of combining back into your own account.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:13 pm

Why not use the point pooling option instead?
Old May 14, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Why not use the point pooling option instead?
Because my points purchase was an actual gift to my mother (she likes the Hilton Honors program and will often stay at Hiltons when visiting me, my brother, my aunts/uncles and her friends). Plus, buying miles was economical given the current promotion. I have no interest in pooling points with my mother. The Hilton program says that members can “buy” a limit or 80,000 points a year, and says then on the gifting miles page, but is not clear about the impact on the ability buying miles for myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.