Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Dubai Al Jadaf (formerly Hilton Garden Inn) {ARE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Dubai Al Jadaf (formerly Hilton Garden Inn) {ARE}

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Dubai Al Jadaf (formerly Hilton Garden Inn) {ARE}

The 326 guest-room Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Jadaf Culture Village opened on 10 December 2018. The hotel is 150 meters from the Al Jadaf metro station and located next to (the future) Dubai Culture Village, an area under development, which will be dedicated to the arts. Al Jadaf is one of the most historically significant neighborhoods in Dubai as it was the first hub for traditional dhow vessel building and repairing – putting it at the heart of the city’s vital trade routes. It remains the last location where dhows are crafted and with significant investment is shaping up to be a truly unique tourist destination in the region. This is what is reported on the official hotel website, but at the moment the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, and all the area around the very nice building is an immense construction site. The Hilton Garden Inn Al Jadaf is a beautiful addition to the brand in Dubai (if I am right there are 3 other HGI in town) because it is in a modern building in a Emirati-style architecture, Arabic-inspired interior design and bespoke F&B concept outlets that make it a one of a kind among an array of successful sister properties.

Check-in and check-out
I decided to book this hotel for an overnight stay after arriving at Dubai airport very late at night and before moving to downtown and Jumeirah, due to its position close to the metro station, the good rates and because I was curious to visit this hotel with its particular architecture.
I arrived shortly before midnight, and before the train enters the Al Jadaf station you will see the hotel on your right. From the metro station for me it was a 5 minutes walk in the dark and in the sand, carring a large bag, because the sorroundings of the hotel, including streets, are a giant construction site.
Due to the late hour the check-in was very fast. As a Diamond I was upgraded from a King Room to a slightly bigger King Room with a sofa bed. I received also a 20% off voucher for the bar and restaurant and a 30% off voucher for the Spa.
Requested a 1PM check-out and they offered a further extension if needed. Friendly staff at the front desk. To reach the metro station there is also the hotel free shuttle bus: it is only a one minute ride to cover 150 meters, but at least you don’t need to walk in the sand under the sun to reach the station.

Room
I wasn’t impressed with the room: apart the typical HGI design I found it quite small, and the view from the window was over an expanse of sand and a construction site, with the metro station in the backgoround.

Breakfast
Traditional HGI breakfast, breakfast room quite small and overcrowded with a large group of Japanese tourists. The two automated coffee machines ran out of milk, so it was impossible to drink a cappuccino or any other coffee with milk. The staff wasn’t of help, and even if it was available a professional coffee machine with a barista, he refused to prepare a cappuccino.

Amenities
On the top floor there is a nice pool, the Spa and a small gym. Unfortunately due to the construction works around the hotel the view is very poor and the sourrounding quite noisy. In the hotel there are several conference and meetings facilities, and I can imagine in the future it will be popular for conventions, events and weddings.

Overall
I like the particular Emirati architecture of this new hotel, less the rooms. The metro station nearby is a real benefit. Excellent staff (excluding the breakfast). Considering the construction site and the work in progress, at present I would recommend this hotel only for a short stay and if the rates are in the range of 200 AED or less: considering the disadvantages of the area, with higher rates there are the better HGI available in town, in particular I would suggest the HGI Al Muraqabat.
Obviously the problems will also affect all the other hotels in the vicinity, so before booking at this hotel I suggest you to open the aerial view of Google maps, in order to look at what you will find when in the area. When the construction works in Al Jafaf will end (I can imagine a couple of years), and once the Culture Village completed, this will be a very nice area.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here for 4 nights recently. Was upgraded from the cheapest room to a suite, which was huge and very pleasant.

Shower pressure was absolute crap but other than that and a few discrepancies with housekeeping (some bins not emptied, not always replenishing tea/coffee etc) I would recommend this place. There really isn't much around the hotel; although there is a supermarket opening beneath a building nearby and a small shop at Al Jadaf metro station. Staff were all very helpful and friendly.

There is a free bus that goes twice a day in each direction to Dubai Mall and onwards to a public beach.

Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:55 pm
wsc

Anyone been recently? Looks like renamed to a DT now…
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

OK property, decent value for price paid

DoubleTree by Hilton Dubai Al Jadaf

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Plot 3261450 - Al Jaddaf Dubai, AE

OK property, decent value for price paid (25 Photos)

For my last night in Dubai, I moved to this property mainly because of it's close proximity to the airport and just because I was curious about this newest addition to the Hilton group of hotels in Dubai.

This property used to be a Hilton Garden Inn, but switiched to being a Doubletree property.  

IMG_20220305_105458059.jpg

This property is located in what seems to be a new development area around the north of Dubai Creek.  There are still quite some open spaces which I am sure will be filled with new buildings.  Currently, the area is a mix of residential, shops and 2 other international hotel chains - Element by Westin and Premier Inn  (and further afield is the large Grand Hyatt).  Outside of this, the area is still very "local" as in the shops are catered to mainly the local residents in the area, which to me is always a nice point as you get to experience some good (and cheap) local food/cuisine. 

The hotel is easily accessible by both public transportation and car.  The closes metro station is the Al-Jadaf metro station of the Green line.  From the property to the airport by car, it is < 10 mins without heavy traffic.  By metro, it takes slightly longer due to the need to transfer back to the red line.  From here it is also quite easy to get onto the highway if you have a car (and for now parking around the area is free).

All in all, I would say if location is not super important, it is an ok from this point of view.   One good point of the hotel (to make it attractive I guess) is that they do have a couple of shuttle service to Dubai mall and to the La Mer beach area.  

Check In

I arrived late in the morning - and already noticed on my Hilton app that no upgrades were provided.  For me it was not a concern if a room was ready or not, as it was mainly to leave my bags before leaving again.  Anyway, arrived at quite a busy lobby since breakfast was still ongoing, however the front desk was free so I was attended to immediately.  All I can say that I was attended to by a very disinterested front associate - even when "forced" to acknowledge my status, it was in a totally disinterested tone.  Based on this I knew that asking for an upgrade will just be futile.  I was although asked interestingly if I wanted a twin or king room (which I thought was quite disrespectful based on seeing 2 male guests checking in) - I know what room I have booked.  

Anyway, without further informaiton, (e.g. breakfast times, etc) I was handed the cookies and key card.  One of the most disinterested check in experience, and sadly in general this was the same theme during the whole stay from most of the staff.

On a side note, digital key was available, but I doubt it will work immediately as the hotel needs to see and record your identification document.  

IMG_20220305_105859558.jpg

IMG_20220305_231221726.jpg

IMG_20220305_231235485.jpg

Room

The room was situated at the corner of the hotel with a view towards the metro station.  It was an open view (for now) since there's no other taller buildings surrounding the property.  The room was bright with the ceiling to floor windows.

IMG_20220306_081125401.jpg

IMG_20220306_081130038.jpg

IMG_20220306_174131904.jpg

IMG_20220306_174135376.jpg

Other than that, the room size was ok - with the usual long desk - functioning as the working desk, vanity desk, TV and coffee/tea making facility area.  The minibar was empty.  2 bottles of complimentary water was provided (which I understood is replaced daily).  There was also a small sitting area for 2. 

IMG_20220305_110746115.jpg

IMG_20220305_110753521.jpg

IMG_20220305_110802179.jpg

Internet speed was good and stable - log-in is with your last name and room number.  TV size was ok with the usual local and international selection.  Only that the TV remote was not that reactive, I believe due to the low battery (they strangely had the cover screwed, so you could not open it to remove the batteries - guess for thef reasons).  Anyway, every time when it did not work, a few tap of it did the job and the buttons would function again. 

Sleep quality was good, although I think they would soon need to swap the mattras as I think after a few months use it would have been over used.  For me it was just at the edge of the support system.  Furthermore, when getting in/out of bed, the bed frame would creak - luckily this did not when in bed.  Noise level from outside was close to none, but internal noise, it was on the audible side especially if the room next had someone talking in front of their door or knocking their door.  Luckily none of these happened in the middle of the night.  

Climate control was good - initially it did not work, even setting the temperature to 14 deg, the room just never cooled down (even after coming back a few hours later - the room was warmer than the hallways).  Reported this and luckily they managed to get it fixed and after that it worked well.

One major problem with the room are the electrical outlets - they are all standard UK types - why major, at least in my opinion, as an international chain, and also as a new hotel, most other hotels of this level in Dubai have a few outlets which are the multi-international type in the rooms.  Here it was just one type, quite a disspointment.  there was only 1 USB wall charger (ther other was the one found on the Hilton clock).  

The bathroom size was ok - with a walk-in shower.   Toileteries were the usual Crabtree and Evelyn products.  Shower pressure and temperature was good.  Although the towels quality - again as a new hotel, a bit dissapointed as it looks like it has been used for a long time and washed so many times it's not white anymore and showing wear and tear at the edges. 

IMG_20220305_110815011.jpg

IMG_20220305_110818287.jpg

Breakfast

The breakfast spread was sufficient for a Doubletree - with eggs to order.  Other than that, there were a variety of hot dishes and cold/continental options were also good.  Only small complain would be I noticed that they did not really clear used plates away on a regular basis, at some tables around you could see plates piling up with no one clearing them.  Also I think the breakfast room could get a bit crowded during the peak hours (since i went quite early, it was not an issue).

IMG_20220305_231228987.jpg

IMG_20220306_081701145.jpg

IMG_20220306_081714858.jpg

Street Eat

I had drinks at the hotel bar/cafe (the hotel had also a separate restaurant, same location as breakfast, without alcoholic drinks).  Prices at the place was ok - more or less the same as other properties.  The selections of the different drinks/wine and cocktails were ok.  Only I found that the amount of liquer in the cocktails to be minimal, had a Mojito and I was doubting if any rum went into it.  Although I did not have any food, from what I noitced, food looks good (at least well presented).

IMG_20220305_221110948.jpg

IMG_20220305_221114501.jpg

IMG_20220305_221118639.jpg

Service

This is where I think much improvements is needed for this property, especially the front desk associates.  As mentioned earlier, during check-in, a very disinterested associate.  Later that evening (due to the problem with the electrical plugs in the room) I went down to ask if I could borrow any adapter.  Initially I was sort of lied to about them not having any, however I insisted if they could check after explaining that I did not bring any with me (which I totally forgot on this trip), one appeared just under the drawer where a few mins ago I was told none was available.  Again this interaction was with another front desk agent that showed fully no interest of being there.  

Later on, half way having my drink at the bar, I thought I would check on the status of the repair for the airconditiong, this time with the another front desk agent, same situation - totally disinterested and I had to more or less insist that she call to check on the status, and it was only than that she made a call to check.

The same for most of the breakfast room staff - they all seem to not want to have any interaction with the guests.  

The only exception were 2 associates -  one was an associate whom I did not have any interaction but from how I saw him interacting with other guests, seem he was like some front office supervisor and the person checking me out - which was much more cheerful and more interactive and proactive.  

Pool

The hotel's rooftoop pool is quite good - the location is quite good as it does have the sun most of the day with some nice view towards the famous skyline of Dubai and towards the airport (this was the advantage of the now defunct Hilton Dubai Creek).  There is a nice lounge area in this area.  Only bad thing is that the rooftop bar was closed.  The gym and laundry room are also situated on this floor.

Just to also mentioned, the pool guard on duty was another of the more service minded associate of the hotel.

Closed rooftop lounge/bar:

IMG_20220306_174104974.jpg

Nice lounge area:

IMG_20220306_174142361_HDR.jpg

View of the Dubai skyline -the day ended with smog/sand pollution, so it was not that goodIMG_20220306_174217505.jpg

IMG_20220306_193837063.jpg

Overall

All in all, I would say this property from physical point more or less do meet the standard of a Doubletree, but main failure of this property from what I feel is service point and the physical condition of the rooms/amenities.  One of the reason I guess for this is because from what I noticed, the main business for the hotel seems to be tour groups - saw one leaving and that same evening another group arrived (mainly German/French groups). - which also explains why even though categorized as a new hotel, there's lots of wear and tear already.  

For me I am fine if this is the business direction of the hotel, however I think in order to maintain a at least some quality of the hotel, they should at least appoint certain floors for use for tour group guests and other floors for individual hotel guests.

As for HHonors elite beneifts - there's not much to hope for here.  Not even an upgrade to the next category is provided.  The hotel does participate in the current ongoing promotion that HHonors members get a 25% discount on F&B.  

I would return to this property only if the price is right, although it is a pity as there can be potential in this property to be much better with some additional care and planning of their business/guest service strategy. 

IMG_20220305_215531853.jpg

IMG_20220305_231500263.jpg

OK property, decent value for price paid

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Dubai Al Jadaf?

No, thank you.
Yes
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Mod: Propose to change the title of this thread to highlight the new name of the property
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Stayed here for a 2nd time - the last time was a few years ago when it was a HGI. Had an upgrade to a suite again which was nice. Was there for a 1 night after landing late at DXB - taxi was about 40AED.

Water pressure was still not fantastic but a decent spread for breakfast.

The area has developed around the hotel a bit more since my last stay with more restaurants.

Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Stayed here for a 2nd time - the last time was a few years ago when it was a HGI. Had an upgrade to a suite again which was nice. Was there for a 1 night after landing late at DXB - taxi was about 40AED.

Water pressure was still not fantastic but a decent spread for breakfast.

The area has developed around the hotel a bit more since my last stay with more restaurants.
Thanks, how is the local area, is the service upto Doubletree standard? I seem to have found a rate of £200 for 8 nights meaning just under £25 a night which is a bargain considering Dubai. I am tempted to stay there and drive the other days or stay at the beach a few nights and double book Would you say the hotel is better now or liveable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.