Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Using Apple Pay at Hiltons with HH Amex Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond

I thought this was interesting enough to share, but if it is common knowledge, my apologies.

I was looking at my latest Hilton Honors Ascend Card Bonus Offers and they had an offer for $30 off on charges over $175 at Hilton Garden Inns.

While researching the terms and conditions, the first surprise was that it would not apply for stays in HGI's outside the US. OK, fine.

But the next condition really caught my eye and made me wonder about larger implications. The terms and conditions state that

"In most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it"

So, they seem to make it clear that using Apple Pay (or the like) will result in not earning credit for this promotion. I also take that to mean that you might not get 12x points per dollar at Hilton properties if you try to pay with Apple Pay, OR if the hotel uses a wireless card reader to process it.

While I don't recall having the opportunity to use Apple Pay for pay my bill at a Hilton property, I imagine that functionality is coming.

If so, I would be worried about not receiving 12 points per dollar for stays. Maybe even credit for incidentals and/or meals that you pay directly with the card and not charge to the room.

Has anyone had any experience with this and not receiving credit for HH spend on their card? If so, Apple Pay could be the reason why.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I thought this was interesting enough to share, but if it is common knowledge, my apologies.

I was looking at my latest Hilton Honors Ascend Card Bonus Offers and they had an offer for $30 off on charges over $175 at Hilton Garden Inns.

While researching the terms and conditions, the first surprise was that it would not apply for stays in HGI's outside the US. OK, fine.

But the next condition really caught my eye and made me wonder about larger implications. The terms and conditions state that

"In most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it"

So, they seem to make it clear that using Apple Pay (or the like) will result in not earning credit for this promotion. I also take that to mean that you might not get 12x points per dollar at Hilton properties if you try to pay with Apple Pay, OR if the hotel uses a wireless card reader to process it.

While I don't recall having the opportunity to use Apple Pay for pay my bill at a Hilton property, I imagine that functionality is coming.

If so, I would be worried about not receiving 12 points per dollar for stays. Maybe even credit for incidentals and/or meals that you pay directly with the card and not charge to the room.

Has anyone had any experience with this and not receiving credit for HH spend on their card? If so, Apple Pay could be the reason why.
While not totally related to the use of apple pay but when I spoke to amex about using my aspire card over seas for restaurants they said I may not be able to get 7x points. I have never tried using it overseas yet so I don't know if thats true. What is the deal with amex and using cards overseas and not getting the points. If this is true with both aspire and gold card you can't use them overseas what the point of having no FTF if you are getting bonus points for spending.
On topic of using apple pay and not getting bonus points , I had to call amex about that when using it in the US with my gold card. They said its not a guarantee that you will get 4x at groceries when using apple pay , thats why i had to call them up for them to correct the amount of points I was suppsed to get when i used apple pay at a grocery store.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
I have not had the problem with not getting credit when using my card overseas in restaurants. Although more often than not, they don't take Amex and I have to use a visa anyway.

As for getting credit at grocery stores, I just checked my statement and I did get a grocery store bonus, but only about half the grocery store purchases used apple pay.

I think I will use apple pay for smaller purchases as still go old school and insert the card into a chip reader (lol) for larger purchases and hotel stays until they figure out the point bonus system.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Apple Pay won't be a problem for points earning it'll work exactly the same as if you used the actual card. The reason is because Apple Pay is directly linked to your Amex account.

I don't know the situation in the US so this is from a UK perspective.

Most hotels don't realise that their systems can take Apple Pay because many people in the UK think contactless payments of all types are limited to £30, but in the hotels I've managed to convince to let me try it then I've never had an issue with it crediting any Amex/Hilton related offers.

By card wallet app I think they mean third parties that actually proxy your bank card through their own systems. An example in the UK is Curve. You can add many cards to your Curve wallet (except Amex as they're in dispute with them) you pay with your Curve card and it takes the payment out of whichever account you've made active in the app. This beans you're not paying with the card directly.

By mobile/wireless card reader I think they're more likely thinking about hotels that use one of the newer online payment processors to process their payments. For example on my bill at the Hilton Bournemouth I see 3CPAYMENT*HILTON BOURNEMOUTH on my receipt. I never seem to get any Amex bonuses for hotels that process like that.

I'd say in the second case Amex needs to work with the hotel to make sure it works as it's not your fault however the hotel chooses to process payments. In the first instance with mobile wallet apps Amex might not be getting the same merchant fees from them and if it's the type you need to top up they also lose your spending data.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by layz
For example on my bill at the Hilton Bournemouth I see 3CPAYMENT*HILTON BOURNEMOUTH on my receipt. I never seem to get any Amex bonuses for hotels that process like that.
The £75 off £250 Amex offer just credited successfully for me on 3CPAYMENT hotels (and it was even cumulative over several hotels). The only thing was I didn't get an email about it like others have reported

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.