FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Early Check Out Fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1968174-early-check-out-fee.html)

mumaluke May 4, 2019 4:41 am

Early Check Out Fee

Has anyone ever been charged an early check out fee? Recent trip to San Antonio several of us stayed at the Embassy Suites Riverwalk and had to cut our trip short by a day. We all checked out on Thursday instead of Friday. One person was charged a $75 early check out fee. Everyone was Hilton honors status at various levels, there were approximately 8 other individuals and only one was charged this fee. BTW - the fee was charged the next day not at checkout. They did call and get it reversed, however, the hotel said we all should have been charged this fee.

I personally have checked out early at several Hilton properties, and have never been charged. Just curious on anyones experience with this....

hugolover May 4, 2019 5:37 am

Unless you have an overlapping stay and the cost of the stay/night points credit outweighed the value of the early departure fee there is no need to pay anything. Just leave the next day as you were scheduled to do.

I don’t even check out anymore since a few years, unless I have something on the bill I want to have a look at. I’m tending to put the “make room up” sign on the door handle on departure today to show housekeeping they can enter.

Often1 May 4, 2019 6:42 am

Why check out at all? Most people skip this step, not to beat a fee but because it is a waste of time. If you are concerned, call the next day, tell the front desk that you are gone and ask to have the folio emailed.

craigthemif May 4, 2019 9:26 am

Early check-out fee AND paying for the un-used night?

I certainly understand the fee if the hotel isn't getting paid and you haven't given them enough time to resell the room...

Kacee May 4, 2019 9:45 am

I'm fairly certain OP is talking about a situation where the last night was not paid.

Note that, so long as you don't no show, and the rate is not prepaid/nonrefundable, the hotel typically does not have a basis for charging for nights you don't stay, i.e., if you check out early.

Originally Posted by mumaluke (Post 31065874)
I personally have checked out early at several Hilton properties, and have never been charged. Just curious on anyones experience with this....

No, but I've recently started seeing warnings on reservations about an early check-out fee.

365RoadWarrior May 4, 2019 9:46 am

Sure, I pay these from time to time, when the fee is lower than the remaining all-in room cost.

And, when you get to the final day of your stay, please do check out, especially if you are leaving before the latest-possible check-out time. This may help someone hoping for an early check-in by announcing that your room is available to be cleaned.

docbert May 4, 2019 11:51 am

At the bottom of every reservation made directly is a link to https://www.hilton.com/en/hi/info/re...on_rules.jhtml which states :

Check-in/Check-out Policy: Rates quoted are based on check-in date and length of stay shown. Should you depart early prior to the departure date confirmed for any reason, hotels may impose an early departure fee.
I've always found that early check-out is generally based on the same conditions as the cancellation policy for your reservation. If your booking has a "6pm day of" policy, then you're good to just leave on any day (before the checkout time). If it's a "day before", then you need to let them know you're leaving the day before. If it's a 3-day cancellation policy and you let them know the day before then you're probably going to be hit with an extra night charge or a fee (but not both).

Of course, as always this is at the hotels discretion, and thus can be based on status as well as how frequent a guest you are at that property.

Explorer789 May 4, 2019 12:09 pm

Whether to check out early depends on whether the checking out early is going to give a refund on the nights not stayed. If this was a prepaid reservation and the hotel still charged the fee, then that would be a dubious charge on the hotel's part since they are trying double dip for a night already paid for.

jliehr May 4, 2019 12:53 pm

Sometimes rates are lower for a longer stay, if you stay say M-S the rate may be lower than M-F, I can see the justification in this case.

sokolov May 4, 2019 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by jliehr (Post 31067026)
Sometimes rates are lower for a longer stay, if you stay say M-S the rate may be lower than M-F, I can see the justification in this case.

Not if they pay for all nights as booked. It is a hotel, not a prison.

docbert May 5, 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by sokolov (Post 31068192)
Not if they pay for all nights as booked. It is a hotel, not a prison.

Which the OP has not stated occurred.

I don't believe any hotel would charge an early check-out fee AND still charge for the entire stay.

mumaluke May 5, 2019 7:35 am

To clarify some questions or comments above...
  • the rooms are not prepaid.
  • We were there for work and the work ended early, so there was no option to just stay one more night.
  • The rooms were booked, M-F

Kacee May 5, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mumaluke (Post 31069050)
  • We were there for work and the work ended early, so there was no option to just stay one more night.

I've checked out early without charge in this situation many times. But if the early check-out fee was properly disclosed at booking, I would expect to pay it.

MSPeconomist May 5, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by mumaluke (Post 31069050)
To clarify some questions or comments above...
  • The rooms were booked, M-F

If you used a corporate rate, check whether it allows early check out. Sometimes these have contractually more generous cancellation fees, especially if you work for a large corporation (or government) that sends the hotel or Hilton a lot of business can tends to make last minute travel changes.

OTOH, your employer should reimburse the fee, so perhaps your corporate travel office wants to fight this.

arlflyer May 5, 2019 9:14 am

As others have said, if this is in lieu of paying for the last night, it is very standard practice. After all, it is tying up inventory that they otherwise could have booked in advance.