Wiki Posts
Search

Help calculating points.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold
Help calculating points.

Can someone help me please? If I spend $600 on a two night stay as a diamond in a Hilton property how many points will I earn?
is it 20 points for each dollar spent so 12,000? Plus double that with the new promo so 24,000?
​​​​I am new to this so sorry if it's a dumb question.
Thanks.

​​​​​
​​​
Old May 1, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Dax1956
Can someone help me please? If I spend $600 on a two night stay as a diamond in a Hilton property how many points will I earn?
is it 20 points for each dollar spent so 12,000? Plus double that with the new promo so 24,000?
​​​​I am new to this so sorry if it's a dumb question.
Thanks.

​​​​​
​​​
As Diamond you earn 20 points per dollar (remember that excludes taxes). If it's a Home2 Suites by Hilton™ and Tru by Hilton™ hotels, you'd earn 10 points per dollar.

The promo depends on when your stay is. If it's now through May 4, you'd earn an additional 2,000 points for the stay. If it's May 6 - Sept. 8, you earn double points (30 points per dollar for Diamonds) beginning with the second stay.

You must register for the promos before staying (not before booking).
Old May 1, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
If you use hilton credit car - depending on the card , it could be another 12-14 points / dollar.

So you 600 could very well be 600 x 44 = 26400 points
Old May 1, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danpeake
As Diamond you earn 20 points per dollar (remember that excludes taxes). If it's a Home2 Suites by Hilton™ and Tru by Hilton™ hotels, you'd earn 10 points per dollar.

The promo depends on when your stay is. If it's now through May 4, you'd earn an additional 2,000 points for the stay. If it's May 6 - Sept. 8, you earn double points (30 points per dollar for Diamonds) beginning with the second stay.

You must register for the promos before staying (not before booking).
Thank you, if I earn double points would that not be 40 points per dollar spent? You said 30. ​​​​​​
Old May 1, 2019, 11:30 am
cjd

Thank you, if I earn double points would that not be 40 points per dollar spent? You said 30. ​​​​​​
The double points promotion applies to the base points only. Normal base points is 10 points per dollar. Double promotion points gets an additional 10 points per dollar. Diamond bonus points is an additional 10 points per dollar. This makes the 30 points per dollar for Diamond members under the new promotion starting 6 May, after the first stay.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:51 am

No, regular members earn 10 base points per dollar; diamonds earn double the base points. That's 20 points per dollar. The promo doubles the base points if it's the second or later stay in the promotion period (another 10 points per dollar). So, 30 points per dollar if it's after the first stay.

Last edited by danpeake; May 1, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old May 1, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uscgto
If you use hilton credit car - depending on the card , it could be another 12-14 points / dollar.

So you 600 could very well be 600 x 44 = 26400 points
When people are confused about points earning, you really don't need to throw in the credit card stuff and further confuse the situation.

If you signed up for the card you should know what it gets you... (and if you don't you should get a cashback card...)
Old May 1, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
When people are confused about points earning, you really don't need to throw in the credit card stuff and further confuse the situation.

If you signed up for the card you should know what it gets you... (and if you don't you should get a cashback card...)
Don't really understand the issue here...ostensibly, if someone signed up for the loyalty program (honors), they "should know what it gets [them]" (read the website and terms of the promotion, then use a calculator), but the OP asked for help and the subsequent poster raised a salient point.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I get it now. Just double the base point's, hence 30 points per dollar.
James Silva likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Don't really understand the issue here...ostensibly, if someone signed up for the loyalty program (honors), they "should know what it gets [them]" (read the website and terms of the promotion, then use a calculator), but the OP asked for help and the subsequent poster raised a salient point.
Double points is confusing to many. (what gets doubled?) Knowing that 5 Hyatt points per $ is worth more than 10 Hilton points per $ is confusing for many.

But not answering a question about double points but writing about yet another complicating factor... confusing instead of helpful. It's no wonder that people do what The Points Guy tells them, instead of reading FT threads.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Double points is confusing to many. (what gets doubled?) Knowing that 5 Hyatt points per $ is worth more than 10 Hilton points per $ is confusing for many.

But not answering a question about double points but writing about yet another complicating factor... confusing instead of helpful. It's no wonder that people do what The Points Guy tells them, instead of reading FT threads.
Thanks, the reason for the question is because I was trying to work out if it's worth doing a one night stay before my longer stay.
So I can qualify for the double points starting with the second stay. I don't think it's worth the money or the point spend to do that though. So will probably not bother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.