Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Breakfast for gold member - booked as a silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver

I have some bookings for Hiltons later in the year where I selected the rate with breakfast. It’s possible that I may achieve gold status before some of these stays. Would I receive the “free” breakfast or is it just hard luck that I booked before becoming gold.? Also wondering how long it takes for the status to update after the silver to gold threshold is reached ?

thanks
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are these nonrefundable rates? Did you book directly through Hilton or via a third party (OLTA)? Virtuoso/FHR/etc.?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these nonrefundable rates? Did you book directly through Hilton or via a third party (OLTA)? Virtuoso/FHR/etc.?
sorry, crucial info I missed. Yes, all booked through Hilton direct and all semi flex so cancellable until 4 days before.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:11 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Your on-property benefits are based on your status at check-in.

It's possible that the rates might change between now and the time of your stay. It could turn out that the with-breakfast rate you have booked today will be less than the without-breakfast rate that you want to book in the future should you achieve status.

If your bookings are at a property without a consistent breakfast benefit (i.e. a full service Hilton or a Doubletree) then you may wish to consult the wiki (Gold/Diamond Breakfast at Hilton family properties (master thread)) for an idea of what the free breakfast entails. It's possible that the with-breakfast rate includes a full breakfast whereas the "breakfast" for a gold could be a little as a coffee and pastry in a to-go bag, depending on the property.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:47 am
cjd

Originally Posted by scottish minnie

I have some bookings for Hiltons later in the year where I selected the rate with breakfast. It’s possible that I may achieve gold status before some of these stays. Would I receive the “free” breakfast or is it just hard luck that I booked before becoming gold.? Also wondering how long it takes for the status to update after the silver to gold threshold is reached ?

thanks
Are these reservations in the UK? If so, as Gold, you normally will be entitled to full breakfast, even though the stated benefit is a continental breakfast. Same usually applies in Europe and Asia. However, in the US, it's usually (not always) just a continental breakfast or even a voucher towards breakfast, and this varies depending on the property.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What brands of hotels are your reservations at? Look at your my way benefits for the brands. At HGI's it is either free breakfast or points. Make your decision then on what is more beneficial cost wise and benefit wise to you.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:51 am
Original Poster

They are all full service Hilton. One of then UK - Gatwick airport and the others are in the US (Idaho Falls, Salt Lake City and Orlando). I’ll have a look at the difference in rates, it may not be worth the hassle of changing the bookings.

Thanks for the links.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the hassle after you've already checked the breakfast information and looked at available prices? You just book the new rate online and then cancel the old reservations online. It's not at all hard or time consuming once you get to that point.
:D! likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Why don't you book one room with breakfast and one without, then cancel as appropriate?

How much extra is the Hilton Gatwick rate with breakfast? When I've stayed, lots of people just turn up and hand over a tenner to get in, some might not even be hotel guests. Certainly cheaper than eating at the airport unless you have airport lounge access...
Old May 1, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Why don't you book one room with breakfast and one without, then cancel as appropriate?
Holding an extra room that you know you will never use is unethical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.