Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2019 Go More Get More - Stay Frequency Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Go More Get More - Stay Frequency Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:37 pm

For those wondering about a stay-based rather than a night-based requirement, my theory is that Hilton values spreading out the extra business generated by promos and their elite program as most hotels are franchised anyways. As such, Hilton can show prospective and current franchisees the value of their brand and guest base with some inflated loyalty metrics. As well, it delivers extra business to franchisees whose hotels aren't as popular.

Assuming that the spend per night is roughly the same, Hilton shouldn't be losing out on much money if any as they mostly earn from royalties.
Dad to Rei likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If the point is to discourage the rare traveler who makes only one stay during a promo, how about this: If you make one stay, you get nothing, no double points. If you make 2 or more, you are given credit for the first stay retroactively.

I had an all-points stay booked that would have counted for my first stay, but since I'm paranoid I changed it to a minimal cash & points - will cost me $11.11 including taxes and a smidge fewer points. Thought that was a lucky number.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:05 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
What this does though is puts folks who have very high end stays at the beginning (For me it's a family vacation at a Conrad i lose out on) in the position to not get the real value out of an expensive stay when we are already loyal.
Seems like you already planned your Hilton stays without knowing what the new promo would be. Would it be correct to say that you would still have booked the Conrad regardless of what came up?

I agree the second stay thing is annoying, but I think Hilton also wants to drive new bookings. The fact that there is likely to always be some sort of promo going on is good for regulars but it doesn't really create any extra business, at the most it will make people move a few bookings here and there, and for those with status in multiple programs one season you might shift to Hilton because the Starriot promo sucks then the next you might move back.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Shame that Hilton are following other brands and going for 2nd stay.
I am upset as my first stay in that promotion period will be my highest dollar stay so far this year.

But remember at least a few years ago Hilton got rid of those long "excluded hotels" lists from these promotions and started to get all of the hotels to at least participate. That really helped everyone get more points.

And at least Hilton is actually HAVING a promotion. So we shouldn't complain much. Unlike a certain other major brand with a silly new name for its combined loyalty program.

Anyone who follows me knows I don't defend Hilton much... so... take this for what it is worth.

Frequent travelers will make up for the loss of bonus points on the first stay with the frequency bonus later. I don't travel enough to get that benefit, but many people do.

So there is that too.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Le Club Gold, Leaders Club
As we had the discussion a couple of posts earlier: Nights from the 5th to the 6th of May actually count as part of this promotion. I asked HHonors via Facebook as I have a longer stay starting from the 6th and will squeeze in a shorter one from the 5th to the 6th and got this reply:

"Hi Moritz, the eligible stay would need to be completed between 6th of May and 8th of September to qualify. So yes, a reservation with check-in on 5th May with check-out on 6th May will qualify to count as your first stay of this promotion. Please note, that the bonus will not start until your second qualifying stay during this promotion time. You can also find more information here http://bit.ly/2GEZCCm Thanks. - SK"

Hope that this helps others with the same "issue"
cblaisd and WanderingGent like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Seems like you already planned your Hilton stays without knowing what the new promo would be. Would it be correct to say that you would still have booked the Conrad regardless of what came up?
It's amazing how many times you see complaints like this on FT. "I'm annoyed because I won't get bonus points - although I booked my stay ages ago and would stay here nonetheless".

Promos are about driving new business. If hotel chains figure out that they pay out more bonus points to "already planning to stay" than the additional revenue from new bookings, these promos will keep getting worse or will even disappear.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by :D!

I agree the second stay thing is annoying, but I think Hilton also wants to drive new bookings. The fact that there is likely to always be some sort of promo going on is good for regulars but it doesn't really create any extra business, at the most it will make people move a few bookings here and there, and for those with status in multiple programs one season you might shift to Hilton because the Starriot promo sucks then the next you might move back.
Yep i had. Though i now reconsidered and have changed my stay to a points stay. So that actually works well for me now. I hadn't previously noticed, but that properties points rates are really good for the first couple weeks of May.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by m0s1n0
As we had the discussion a couple of posts earlier: Nights from the 5th to the 6th of May actually count as part of this promotion. I asked HHonors via Facebook as I have a longer stay starting from the 6th and will squeeze in a shorter one from the 5th to the 6th and got this reply:

"Hi Moritz, the eligible stay would need to be completed between 6th of May and 8th of September to qualify. So yes, a reservation with check-in on 5th May with check-out on 6th May will qualify to count as your first stay of this promotion. Please note, that the bonus will not start until your second qualifying stay during this promotion time. You can also find more information here http://bit.ly/2GEZCCm Thanks. - SK"

Hope that this helps others with the same "issue"
Dont be surprised if the information you received is mistaken. The FAQ link they posted contradicts the information you were given. It states if you check in before May 6 you must check out after May 6 which means May 7 or later. If I check-in before May 6, 2019, or check-out after September 8, 2019, do I still earn credit for that stay?
Registered Hilton Honors members will receive a bonus only for the nights of an eligible stay completed during the Promotion Period. Members checking in before May 6, 2019 will receive credit for their stay if the stay is completed after May 6, 2019 and prior to or on September 8, 2019. Members will not receive bonus credit for any stay that is completed after September 8, 2019, even if part of their stay overlaps with the promotion period
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
A reward stay at a Hampton will count as the first night and no points are earned for spending at the bar etc. (hopefully all correct)

However if a Hampton is booked on a points + cash rate - are any points earned then? (can't remember)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:48 am

A reward stay at a Hampton will count as the first night and no points are earned for spending at the bar etc. (hopefully all correct)

However if a Hampton is booked on a points + cash rate - are any points earned then? (can't remember)
Yes points earned on cash portion.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

​​​​​At any Hilton property booked on cash and points, the cash component is treated as "base" earning just as an actual full-cash room rate would be.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Le Club Gold, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Dont be surprised if the information you received is mistaken. The FAQ link they posted contradicts the information you were given. It states if you check in before May 6 you must check out after May 6 which means May 7 or later. If I check-in before May 6, 2019, or check-out after September 8, 2019, do I still earn credit for that stay?
Registered Hilton Honors members will receive a bonus only for the nights of an eligible stay completed during the Promotion Period. Members checking in before May 6, 2019 will receive credit for their stay if the stay is completed after May 6, 2019 and prior to or on September 8, 2019. Members will not receive bonus credit for any stay that is completed after September 8, 2019, even if part of their stay overlaps with the promotion period
yep, you are actually right. I confronted them with the FAQ and after some research and some back and forth they now told me that check-out needs to be 7th of May or later... oh dear, sometimes customer service isn't actually all that helpful. Thanks for your heads up!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have an interesting question:

I just made a reservation at the Tropicana in LV for June. They take the full amount for deposit NOW. (I can cancel up to 48 hrs before arrival)

Will I get 2000 pts because "now" is under the rules of the current promotion, or will I get double points in June since the actual stay will be under the new promotion?

Not debating the pros and cons of the hotel, just want to know which promotion it will fall under if I have to pay for it "now" but stay "later".
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Dates of stay are controlling for promotions, not payment.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have an interesting question:

I just made a reservation at the Tropicana in LV for June. They take the full amount for deposit NOW. (I can cancel up to 48 hrs before arrival)

Will I get 2000 pts because "now" is under the rules of the current promotion, or will I get double points in June since the actual stay will be under the new promotion?

Not debating the pros and cons of the hotel, just want to know which promotion it will fall under if I have to pay for it "now" but stay "later".
It isn't an interesting question. You are way overthinking this. When you pay for a stay has nothing to do with the promotion period.
smmrfld, Cat88L3 and RafKa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.