FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Any Hilton Hotel in the USA 100% non smoking (pool and patios) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1966590-any-hilton-hotel-usa-100-non-smoking-pool-patios.html)

ITravelElite Apr 23, 2019 7:28 am

Any Hilton Hotel in the USA 100% non smoking (pool and patios)

I have visit a lot of Hilton Hotels in the USA, most of them Hilton Garden Inn. On their webiste it says 100% non smoking but the pool and gardens with patios are always smoking friendly.
Any advice for real 100 non smoking Hilton Hotels? I like to swim and enjoy the sun in a non smoking area.

COSPILOT Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am

This and your other thread really should be combined. Plenty of options for you, but Hilton, or any chain doesn't have an option that you desire. You will have to up your spend though, as Hilton Garden Inn's aren't elite by any stretch, as your name suggests. If non smoking is a desire, most hotels are non smoking for the most part, but what happens outside is different. Boulder, CO might be the exception, so maybe look at hotel options within the area. The Broadmoor is pretty strict about smoking areas as well, but I suspect that is more than you want to spend. If HGI spend is your focus, you will be disappointed.

christianj Apr 23, 2019 10:50 am

I think it is virtually impossible for a hotel to enforce a no smoking policy OUTSIDE. In the hotel and rooms is one thing but outside is another.

TSparky Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am

A hotel with an indoor pool will be non-smoking. One with an indoor atrium (think Embassy suites) will also be non-smoking in that "indoor patio".

christianj Apr 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TSparky (Post 31029299)
A hotel with an indoor pool will be non-smoking. One with an indoor atrium (think Embassy suites) will also be non-smoking in that "indoor patio".

OP mentions "sun" so I doubt an indoor pool is an option plus to me they asked that not just the pool area be non-smoking but the entire property.

smmrfld Apr 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ITravelElite (Post 31028500)
I have visit a lot of Hilton Hotels in the USA, most of them Hilton Garden Inn. On their webiste it says 100% non smoking but the pool and gardens with patios are always smoking friendly.
Any advice for real 100 non smoking Hilton Hotels? I like to swim and enjoy the sun in a non smoking area.

As I asked in the other thread you started, why must it be a Hilton property? You’ve indicated previously that you've given up on loyalty programs, thus it shouldn’t matter.

pinniped Apr 23, 2019 4:01 pm

I've never encountered problems with smoking in HGI's.

Usually the "problem" is smokers finding places to smoke. If you're a nonsmoker, your hotel environment has improved greatly in the U.S. in the past 20 years. 10-15 years ago, when hotels were starting to go smoke-free, I'd run into stinky rooms from prior smokers once every few stays. Now that almost never happens. I can't think of the last time somebody lit up in an indoor pool, and I can't even recall a time when people were doing it enough in an outdoor pool to bother me.

About three years ago, the guy one balcony over from us at a Hilton resort liked to smoke cigars. I don't know if that was really permitted or not, but he'd burn through one a day and I didn't complain about it. But I could smell it and I might have been tempted to complain if people were out there all the time doing it.

I'm a nonsmoker and have no issues with any of the big chains (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt) in the U.S.

Certain other parts of the world are another story.

writerguyfl Apr 23, 2019 4:59 pm

You'd really need to be right next to someone in order to be bothered by smoke in an outdoor setting. The chances that you'll find yourself in that situation are quite small, in my opinion. If it does happen, just move your chair a couple of feet.

sethb Apr 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 31030505)
You'd really need to be right next to someone in order to be bothered by smoke in an outdoor setting. The chances that you'll find yourself in that situation are quite small, in my opinion. If it does happen, just move your chair a couple of feet.

Thus speaks the expert on how sensitive other people are to tobacco smoke.

lamphs Apr 23, 2019 5:23 pm

It would be interesting to see what you find. This makes me think of the Marriott CY UCF (Orlando). 3 of us were enjoying cigars (and being courteous to other guests by sitting on a bench across the way from the main entrance). The manager advised us that Marriott did not allow smoking on its properties period. It certainly isn't enforced if that is the case.

PHL Apr 24, 2019 3:25 pm

A hotel can, and some do, enforce the no smoking policy in their outdoor pool and/or patio areas where there may often be large crowds of guests. And no, you do not need to be just a few feet from someone to be bothered by the smoke. It can certainly drift a good distance depending on the breeze. Most non-smoking hotels also have designated areas outside the hotel, away from common spots for smokers to rejoice.

To really find out, the OP would have to call a particular hotel in question and inquire about their smoking policy in those outdoor areas.

anabolism Apr 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Oh, please. That's completely ridiculous. Smoke expands and fills an ever-larger area. True, it gets diluted, but it takes a significant distance for it to not be bothersome to someone sensitive to tobacco.

Countless times I have been swimming laps in a pool only to start choking when I turn and breathe, because someone is smoking on the pool deck or at an outdoor cafe table.

smmrfld Apr 24, 2019 10:54 pm

This is one of the most baseless, inaccurate posts I’ve seen in this forum in quite a while.

writerguyfl Apr 25, 2019 4:09 am

Just reality. If someone is smoking, move to the other end of the pool. You'd need superhuman lungs to bothered by cigarette smoke emanating 30+ feet away.

From "Real–Time Measurement of Outdoor Tobacco Smoke Particles":
To summarize and quantify the proximity effect observed in our study, we fit curves to average OTS particle concentrations (y) as a function of the distance from the source (x).The levels on the private patio were generally lower and dropped off by 1–2 m, whereas the cafe levels, where winds may have been stronger and/or more directional, started out approximately four times higher and did not entirely drop off by 4 m.
Source (page 532, PDF): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.3155/1047-3289.57.5.522
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2a157b3995.jpg

Voodoo Daddy Apr 25, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 31035333)
Just reality. If someone is smoking, move to the other end of the pool. You'd need superhuman lungs to bothered by cigarette smoke emanating 30+ feet away.

From "Real–Time Measurement of Outdoor Tobacco Smoke Particles":
To summarize and quantify the proximity effect observed in our study, we fit curves to average OTS particle concentrations (y) as a function of the distance from the source (x).The levels on the private patio were generally lower and dropped off by 1–2 m, whereas the cafe levels, where winds may have been stronger and/or more directional, started out approximately four times higher and did not entirely drop off by 4 m.
Source (page 532, PDF): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.3155/1047-3289.57.5.522
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2a157b3995.jpg

This fails to capture the psychological effect. Many people are bothered by the knowledge that someone is smoking in the vicinity, and they may subconsciously conflate this annoyance with being physically bothered by the smoke.