Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Any Hilton Hotel in the USA 100% non smoking (pool and patios)

Any Hilton Hotel in the USA 100% non smoking (pool and patios)

Old Apr 25, 19, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My wife can smell smoke from quite a distance away - well over 30 feet if the breeze is blowing the right way. I'm not as sensitive as she is, but if there's a cigar smoker at the other end of a hotel pool, I think I'd probably smell it.
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:02 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Clearly there are some posters in this thread who are smokers, perhaps getting fed up with the ever increasing restrictions on their desire to fill their lungs with carcinogens, which is, of course, completely their right. But that right only exists in the confines of their own private space like home, car, or elsewhere that is not in the vicinity of others (and not prohibited by ordinance). And, of course, public designated smoking areas.

So, no, it is not cool to smoke in a public area like a pool or outdoor patio where the smoke does have the potential to travel far - despite any kinds of scatter plot diagram showing otherwise. It has been scientifically proven to be harmful for others to breathe, and it's just plain rude and inconsiderate. If you feel the need to take a puff, take a walk to where it won't affect others. That's not a lot to ask.
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Does this thread really need to be a debate about smoking? I would hope we can get back on topic....and that is if there are hotels in the Hilton portfolio that are totally non-smoking in the US.
Old Apr 25, 19, 10:01 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Perhaps a Wiki post that people can add to as they confirm a hotel is 100% smoking on the premises inside and outside. But if the OP really wants to know, I would suggest calling ahead before booking. My experience is that many are smoke free in those common areas like pool and patio.
Old Apr 25, 19, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Does this thread really need to be a debate about smoking? I would hope we can get back on topic....and that is if there are hotels in the Hilton portfolio that are totally non-smoking in the US.
In practice, I haven't seen a smoking/nonsmoking option at Hilton in years. They're nonsmoking throughout the building. As a nonsmoker I don't even think about this anymore with Hilton or Marriott.

Marriott has the stronger statement of the two chains - they say every hotel in the U.S. and Canada is 100% nonsmoking, presumably except for a small designated smoking area (e.g., not the pool). But I don't run into smoke at Hiltons enough to make this some kind of brand differentiator.

If you want to reminisce about the sweet smell of tobacco smoke in hotels, just book one of the downmarket brands that still offers smoking rooms.

I think the OP is just starting threads for the hell of it, but if smoking at a specific property is a big concern for anyone, they can just call the hotel and ask what the policy is. Again, the bigger problem these days is usually for people who want to smoke somewhere other than a little outdoor spot 25 feet away from the front door.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
OP, between this and your other thread, you sound like a perfect candidate to forget about a chain hotel and rent a villa with a fabulous pool that you would have all to yourself.
Old Apr 26, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Just reality. If someone is smoking, move to the other end of the pool. You'd need superhuman lungs to bothered by cigarette smoke emanating 30+ feet away.
You can create a study to demonstrate anything you like. As I posted, I have countless times started choking while swimming because someone was smoking on the pool deck or at an outdoor table of a cafe and I breathed in sufficient tobacco to cause an involuntary reaction. Since I was swimming, I was not aware of the people nor that they were smoking, until I started choking.

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy View Post
This fails to capture the psychological effect. Many people are bothered by the knowledge that someone is smoking in the vicinity, and they may subconsciously conflate this annoyance with being physically bothered by the smoke.
As I wrote, I have started choking despite being previously unaware of the presence of smokers.

Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Clearly there are some posters in this thread who are smokers, perhaps getting fed up with the ever increasing restrictions on their desire to fill their lungs with carcinogens, which is, of course, completely their right.
I am very libertarian about what people choose to do with or to their own bodies, but at the same time firmly hold that no one has a right to force me to copy their choices. I don't drink, but I believe people have the right to drink, but they also do not have the right to force alcohol down my throat. I don't use drugs, but people should have the right to do so (aside from antibiotics, which impact others) but they don't have the right to inject me with a drug. I don't care if someone is smoking tobacco or pot, either way it is the smoking that is the problem. If people want to inject nicotine or cannabis, have at it.
Old Apr 26, 19, 10:02 am

As for hotels where even the outdoor areas and pool are non-smoking, that may be hard to find, but would be more likely in states, counties, and cities where anti-smoking legislation applies a specified distance from doors and cafe tables.
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Just reality. If someone is smoking, move to the other end of the pool. You'd need superhuman lungs to bothered by cigarette smoke emanating 30+ feet away.
Because the idea that someone might want to actually swim lengths in a pool doesn't exist in some universe.
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
The problem I have is that it's nearly impossible to enter or exit a hotel without having to go past smokers.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
IIRC the Bentley in Miami beach doesn't allow smoking at the pool or on the outside area where they serve breakfast.
Old Apr 30, 19, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
The problem I have is that it's nearly impossible to enter or exit a hotel without having to go past smokers.
Some cities/counties/states prohibit smoking with a certain distance of a door (I think Los Angeles County does) so you may have better experiences at properties within such jurisdictions.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
IIRC the Bentley in Miami beach doesn't allow smoking at the pool or on the outside area where they serve breakfast.
Excellent!

Search this Thread