Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Check your credit card statements ( charged twice )

Old Apr 17, 19, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond

Guys - was charged twice for my stay at doubletree Tower of London last Thursday, easily sorted with an email but luckily I check my accounts regularly......just a heads up!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott, Choice, IHG, Hertz FiveStar,
Thanks for the heads up! Glad you got it sorted out!
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I had this happen at a property near BWI about two months back. I had prepaid for the booking and was charged again when I checked out. Didn't notice it myself until a credit appeared on my credit card about two weeks later. The hotel caught the error themselves and refunded the second charge.
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:32 pm

Happens all the time for me (at various chains) with pending charges / holds; usually the front desk claims it "didn't go through" and they have to run it again, but two sets of pending charges are shown. In my case there's never been an issue with a duplicate charge actually posting, but if it is a big hold and the credit line is low it could certainly cause a problem nonetheless.
Old Apr 18, 19, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Yeah, a first for me, I guess that’s why I was so surprised, however reading the comments from you guys seems not uncommon.
Old Apr 18, 19, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by wizla View Post
Yeah, a first for me, I guess thatís why I was so surprised, however reading the comments from you guys seems not uncommon.
Not entirely clear from your post whether "charged" means a hold was taken twice or two charges actually posted; if the former then quite common, if the latter then not so, in my experience. Either way glad it was quickly resolved.
wizla likes this.
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Not entirely clear from your post whether "charged" means a hold was taken twice or two charges actually posted; if the former then quite common, if the latter then not so, in my experience. Either way glad it was quickly resolved.
Actually it was both, I didnít mention the former as to avoid confusion but basically my final bill was £112 ( I batted 15k of points at this too as in ď points and cash ď........ I had two charges of £112 and one of £105 ( this being the hold ).
The email reply explanation said the hold was supposed to be released two days back and the double charge was an admin error of which one has been refunded , the hold released too.
To be fair they sorted it out promptly once I sent them an email questioning this.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 19, 2:36 pm

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying it's common, but it's the sort of thing that should get resolved automatically at a marginally run (or better) hotel. If the night audit doesn't catch the double charge, the review of the night audit should find it. While the night audit happens nightly, some hotels may not review them for a day or two. (Friday might not get reviewed until Monday, for example.) So, it might take a few days.

The exception would be a hotel that does a lot of day-use rooms. In a normal hotel, it's easier to spot a double charge because there would be two folios for a single room. But, hotels that do day-use rooms would routinely have multiple folios per room, which makes it a little more difficult to spot these types of errors.

(All of the above commentary is based on experience working at Front Desks as well as my time as a hotel Income Auditor. As Income Auditor, I reviewed the night audit for accuracy.)
wizla and daloosh like this.