Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boxers (shorts) in the lounge!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:42 am

What was considered acceptable Executive Lounge attire when I was on my 30's is irrelevant today in my 60's. There was a time when I was forbidden to enter the EL of a certain Conrad hotel because I was not wearing dress shoes. Today, I could wear a singlet, bathing suit and flip flops without causing a stir. I don't like it, but I am obviously in the minority, and the hotel has to cater to the majority.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I've never seen boxers with pockets, so you can assume they were real shorts.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
This is FT, so of course we're going to talk about it. I think pajamas, and bathrobes especially, are scandalous, but that's just an outdated idea of what's ok. I see kids at the high school in pajamas all the time, and while I think that's not ok, I guess it's ok with the school district.

Notwithstanding my non-approval, I see PJs and bathrobes in the hotel lounge regularly, so I suppose it's the new normal, and I'd only get my nose out of joint if he was commando with kids around, like christianj mentioned above.

At the airport lounge, I feel more tolerant, especially where there are a lot of long-hauls and red-eyes at that airport. In fact, I have these pants I like for overnites that look like pajamas mixed with sweats, but are pants -- they have pockets and belt loops and a zip fly and cargo pockets, but they look like PJs.

So I had to google boxers with pockets, and the first thing I saw is these travel boxer briefs from Duluth Trading's Buck Naked line, they are boxer briefs with pockets on the thigh for your passport or money and cards! They are boxer briefs, however, and would never be mistaken for shorts!
christianj likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Title made me think this was someone in just boxers I.e topless as well.. turns out it’s a non story.

99.9% not boxers if has pockets. If a similar length to boxers it could be swimming shorts being worn as normal shorts. Personally see no issue with shorts and t-shirts in lounge. I do however think Pajamas and dressing gowns are fine at home but not in public, not because I think it’s indecent but mainly because they just look like tools!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MoodyB
Call me old fashioned and I may be in the minority here, but I don't think shorts are appropriate attire for a lounge or restaurant for that matter...Having said that, I was recently in the lounge at LHR T5 and two women sauntered in literally wearing their PJ's, which I found both amusing and inappropriate at the same time.
Old Fashioned !

Don't like bath robes out there in Europe either ?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Wink

Originally Posted by HMPS
Old Fashioned !

Don't like bath robes out there in Europe either ?
Thanks for the affirmation! lol
The old fashioned curmudgeon that I am doesn't like seeing bath robes in any geographic region! If it's in a spa or by a pool, fair enough.
The young ladies I recently spotted were actually sporting Victoria's Secret PJ's...Not totally indecent, but I just think there's a time and a place for everything.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:56 am

Thanks for the affirmation! lol
The old fashioned curmudgeon that I am doesn't like seeing bath robes in any geographic region! If it's in a spa or by a pool, fair enough.
The young ladies I recently spotted were actually sporting Victoria's Secret PJ's...Not totally indecent, but I just think there's a time and a place for everything.
Each of us have a sense of "decency & appropriateness". The Victoria's Pajamas are a fashion statements for them, not to discount the flount factor !

One of my bugaboos is tanktype athletic T shirts worn by men!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I’m generally considered a millennial (born in 1985), and even I find it a bit odd what manner of attire has become acceptable in public. I’m generally of the mindset that you’re ok as long as you’re not harming anyone else, but we still have a civilized society where people adhere to certain standards of appearance in certain places. Too many people seem to treat public spaces as their living room. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect you to cover up and not get your hair and sweat all over the place in an upscale hotel lounge.

Also, I can’t help but think if this had been in the U.S., the responses would be more along the lines of “typical narcissistic Americans”, but since it’s Paris, it gets chalked up to “eccentricity”.
Jaimito Cartero, HMPS and MoodyB like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:47 am

I was recently in the lounge at LHR T5 and two women sauntered in literally wearing their PJ's, which I found both amusing and inappropriate at the same time.
As someone who gets hot easily on planes and detests changing in cramped, filthy airplane lavatories (even in J and F they are always tiny on anything that isnt an A380), I believe I have just been inspired.
HMPS and MoodyB like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
As someone who gets hot easily on planes and detests changing in cramped, filthy airplane lavatories (even in J and F they are always tiny on anything that isnt an A380), I believe I have just been inspired.
I must say I have been guilty once while connecting on an Intl flt. Had "lounging" pajama bottom. Just sailed thru as it was a short connection..
arlflyer and MoodyB like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by manneca
I'm in Paris where it's in the 50s. This morning I noticed a guy in what looked like boxer shorts and slippers. OK, the shorts had pockets, but they weren't work out shorts (they had yellow duckies on them). I didn't check the fly because well, he was seated at a table and I'm female and. . . well, I would have had to get down on my knees and I really didn't think that would look too good. He had on a black t shirt. His female companion had on jeans and knee high boots (appropriate for a rainy day here). I don't mind people in work out clothes or sweats, but these shorts, well, . (I have now spent too much time searching on men's boxers with pockets to be good for me.)
Was he at least good looking?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:51 am

A bit too relaxed, IMHO.

Originally Posted by HMPS
I must say I have been guilty once while connecting on an Intl flt. Had "lounging" pajama bottom. Just sailed thru as it was a short connection..
On a UA flight from PVR-EWR in First Class, June of 2016.

UA First Class Relaxed Wear

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ha! You do have a very valid point there! I usually avoid changing into the 1st PJ's for that very reason...Seeing people stroll into the toilets barefoot fills me with horror!
arlflyer likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Seeing people stroll into the toilets barefoot fills me with horror!
I just don't get why in the world anyone would do this but I see it all the time. I'm not a germaphobe but it makes my skin crawl with disgust.
HMPS and MoodyB like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.