Wiki Posts
Search

Boxers (shorts) in the lounge!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Boxers (shorts) in the lounge!

I'm in Paris where it's in the 50s. This morning I noticed a guy in what looked like boxer shorts and slippers. OK, the shorts had pockets, but they weren't work out shorts (they had yellow duckies on them). I didn't check the fly because well, he was seated at a table and I'm female and. . . well, I would have had to get down on my knees and I really didn't think that would look too good. He had on a black t shirt. His female companion had on jeans and knee high boots (appropriate for a rainy day here). I don't mind people in work out clothes or sweats, but these shorts, well, . (I have now spent too much time searching on men's boxers with pockets to be good for me.)
boss315 and MoodyB like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hmm.. if they have pockets I doubt that they are boxershorts - most probably some fashionable type of shorts - you are in Paris anyway.. where fashion can be eccentric and might be usual from where you are from, but for me as long as it's not obscene or some short swimtrunks....I think it should be acceptable, unless the lounge has some other arrangements like pants or etc....
I don't like to see people in really short shorts (where it seems it is more like underwear than shorts), but I have to accept it as it is part of fashion and taste of the wearer, the same goes for short skirts which are so short where you sit without care, and every thing is exposed....is that appropriate for the lounge? No, but it is still done.....

Cheers!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I actually googled boxers with pockets and there are such things! I am becoming more convinced that they are really underwear. Sort of on the level of wearing pajamas to the lounge. I have not seen anyone else in Paris wearing anything like this. It's much too cold for shorts right now. and they were shorter than mid-thigh. Perhaps they were indeed pajamas, but shorties.
MoodyB and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Form of pajamas.
In the 21st century, some people wear pajamas as street clothes sometimes.
Article
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
It might be a bit too casual for the lounge area, but as long as nothing was hanging out (LOL) it should be ok.
camsean likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH D
Personally, I don't like 15 year old women in the lounge wearing sneakers under a burka. But I prefer to keep that opinion to myself.

Last edited by Sisosig; Apr 14, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is there a pool in the hotel? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...vid-Gandy.html
and these appear shorter
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 77Pat; Apr 10, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:58 pm

Option

It is possible that they were actually pants that had been tailored and turned into shorts. I know of people who buy novelty trousers and have them turned into capri pants or shorts. I had a boss who did this exactly. He was extremely tall.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As somebody who works for a French company and now spends too much time in Paris, I have given up trying to understand fashion choices there. Some guys in my office there will wear what are capri pants, which weren't great ideas when only women wore them either... I've never seen so much ankle.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:32 am

These don't really sound like boxer shorts to me. I get that maybe some boxer shorts have pockets, but the vast majority do not. I am guessing from your description that these are just the very fashionable type of shorts you see everywhere nowadays. I don't think this is really something to get in a fuss over.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
Call me old fashioned and I may be in the minority here, but I don't think shorts are appropriate attire for a lounge or restaurant for that matter...Having said that, I was recently in the lounge at LHR T5 and two women sauntered in literally wearing their PJ's, which I found both amusing and inappropriate at the same time.
Ed Size and craig44485 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:37 am

Am I the only one...disturbed...that some people apparently spend so much time looking at (and judging?) what others wear? What's the deal with that? How does it impact YOU ? I could understand (and agree with) concerns about indecency......but that is clearly not the case here...Quite curious about that. Of course at MY age I have ZERO understanding of "fashion" and thus refuse to be surprised by anything!
CMK10, Lehava and BrlDsguise like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by manneca
I'm in Paris where it's in the 50s. This morning I noticed a guy in what looked like boxer shorts and slippers.
Sounds like normal casual wear. The guy was obviously comfortable and was not naked, so why should anyone care? We're not that hung up on what guys wear here in Europe (thinking about ridiculously long swim shorts guys wear in the States).

Originally Posted by trooper
Am I the only one...disturbed...that some people apparently spend so much time looking at (and judging?) what others wear? What's the deal with that? How does it impact YOU ? I could understand (and agree with) concerns about indecency......but that is clearly not the case here...Quite curious about that. Of course at MY age I have ZERO understanding of "fashion" and thus refuse to be surprised by anything!
+1
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Does it matter?

It was in the morning, when most lounge guests would use the restaurant anyway for breakfast.

Different matter if in the evening.

I suspect that these were shorts given that the partner was wearing other clothing.

If he wasn't planning on going out at that time, then shorts are perfectly acceptable.

Time we worried about the more important things in life......
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I'm generally not a suit and tie type of guy and I prefer casual attire BUT I think today the idea of what is acceptable attire for certain situations is getting kind of ridiculous. Not sure I would get upset about someone in boxershort type of shorts (unless he was clearly going commando and it showed with kids around) but recently I stayed at a hotel and a guy showed up in the lounge with his wife in a bathrobe and slippers. NO this was not a resort or spa hotel where he could have just come from the pool or sauna just to clarify and he was not wearing long pajama pants under the robe! To me that is just ridiculous and totally unacceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.