Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton cancelled reservation and can do nothing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:32 am
Original Poster

I have written extensively to Hilton Guest Assistance, Hilton Diamond desk and Twitter team but no one is able to do anything. Would anyone be able to offer some advice? Thanks.

I booked the Hilton Hurghada Plaza six months ago on points and the hotel is cancelling my reservation in August 2019, citing the reason that renovation will not be completed on time. This has caused me great stress as I am left without a hotel for the holiday. Hilton has rejected my proposed request of transferring the existing booking to the nearby Hilton Hurghada Resort at no additional cost to me.

The typical replies from Hilton corporate were all as such:

"Please accept our sincerest apology for all the inconvenience you had experienced with your reservation. To book your new reservation at the Hilton Hurghada Resort, please contact the hotel directly or reach out to Hilton Reservations and Customer Care at 75001 1-800-548-8690."

"After reviewing your file, the hotel advised us that they apologize for the inconvenience however their renovation was extended and the hotel opening time has therefore been amended accordingly. They apologize that your booking was cancelled and your honors points will be refunded to your account."
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:44 am

What you are asking for, while eminently reasonable, is not common practice in the hotel industry.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Perhaps a silly question, but cant you take the points back and use them for a new booking. If the replacement hotel costs more point, well... that's life: though it gives you anotjer tack to persuade corporate to help by gifting you some points in compensation.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:40 am

It does look like there are a few other Hilton resorts in the area, if the point difference is not significant I would just rebook, if it is different try to get Hilton to rebook you at one of those for same number of points. (What exactly are these places changing in points, anyhow? They're showing like $70/night cash in August...understandably not the time of year I would wish to be in Egypt)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:03 am

Hiltons customer care have become horrible...just live with it and rebook on another hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. I will cancel the reservation and rebook at another hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The annoying part is that you would definitely be re-accommodated if you were on a cash rate instead of points. But since there's no revenue to be lost, they can't be bothered...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:00 pm

1 It is not true that you would have been treated any differently if you had booked with cash versus points. Properties are often reimbursed more for point stays than for some of the online travel agencies or package tours. (This happens to be particularly around the Red Sea, where European package tour operators frequently book blocks of rooms for under $40 per night. The notion that points are some how free is nonsense. Hilton Honors is its own profit center. As with a few airlines, Hilton's loyalty program is likely worth as much as all the other parts of its business combined.

2.Just moving you to another property is not as straightforward as you imagine. Hilton owns no properties and it does not manage the two you mentioned. While Hilton may sometimes try to get a hotel to 'take one for the team', their leverage isn't great. If your issue landed in a sympathetic ear at Honors or the Diamond Desk, etc, Hilton might be willing to step in and make a new stay no more expensive. Might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.