Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:09 am
jxd

Originally Posted by mattya9
Wanted to get people of FT’s opinion when it came to using the free weekend night certificate for a stay in the US? Las Vegas based and wanted to try the Waldorf Astoria in NYC but didn’t realize they’re closed u til 2020. So into plan B. Any suggestions? Thanks!

OPS
WA Beverley hills is a good property to use it. Usually goes for $600+ per night.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
For me the best use is tacked on to a fifth night free point stay at a resort.

I'm not going to stay at a particular property just so I can get the best value from it.
B3nder likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
We're using ours at the WA Orlando this year. Nightly rate was around $400. Combine it with the Aspire $250 resort credit and we're feelin' pretty good about the trip.

If you're looking for bang-for-your-buck, any resort in the summer will do. Looking at the Hilton Pensacola Beach during 4th of July and the Blue Angels Air Show, nightly rates are north of $600.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mattya9
Wanted to get people of FT’s opinion when it came to using the free weekend night certificate for a stay in the US? Las Vegas based and wanted to try the Waldorf Astoria in NYC but didn’t realize they’re closed u til 2020. So into plan B. Any suggestions? Thanks!

OPS
We just used it at the Grand Wailea, Waldorf Astoria resort in Maui - a lot of value in return because the rate there can be $800-$900 easily. So we thought that was the great use of the certificate night. If you are a Diamond member, you will get upgraded to the Napua tower that comes with the club/lounge access: complimentary breakfast, appetizer and even free cocktails in the evening. If you are Gold/Diamond, you receive $15 credit up to $30 for two people at the their Grand Dinning restaurant for breakfast.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
A couple data points on my usage of certs this past winter:

Like Schutzee I had bad issues with trying to "reuse" a cert. In June of '18 I booked for 1 night in Nov '18, and then ultimately canceled that booking in Oct '18. It took months to get the cert restored in my account. I would call every few weeks, get told they were working on it, not to worry they'd extend it, and then nothing. When it finally reappeared in my account at the end of Feb '19, I'd already missed 2 trips I was trying to take, but they refused to extend it, so I ended up booking 1 night at the WA in Vegas this past weekend, a week before the original expiration date. We did well enough at the tables that even all of our F&B and shows ended up being free too, so I guess I can't complain.

For my new cert this year, I learned (1) you cannot simply replace a points booking with a cert (I'd held a free night in Koh Samui, hoping to replace it with the cert when it finally showed up) - regular award space needs to be available when you try to make the switch, and (2) if you want to do a 3 night stay (which we are), they can deduct 2 nights worth of points and combine with the cert into a single reservation - but if you want to do 6 nights, including a 5th night free, that required some additional steps that would require 2 separate reservations. Or at least that's what I was told.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:06 pm

I have a points + certificate reservation. At the time of booking, the phone agent said no cash out of pocket.

I got my confirmation email a few minutes later and it shows a $45 per day resort fee charge.

Can anyone confirm if a resort fee is charged when on a points + certificate reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
I have a points + certificate reservation. At the time of booking, the phone agent said no cash out of pocket.

I got my confirmation email a few minutes later and it shows a $45 per day resort fee charge.

Can anyone confirm if a resort fee is charged when on a points + certificate reservation.
My understanding is that 100% points stay no resort fee and since the certificate is basically a complete full points stay then it should be the same, no resort fee. I used the certificate and upon check in, the agent told me that no resort fee because I booked the stay on points. Point and cash bookings have resort fee though.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Using it at The London NYC would IMHO be the next best thing to using it at the closed WA NYC until that reopens if you want to go to NYC.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by flybie
My understanding is that 100% points stay no resort fee and since the certificate is basically a complete full points stay then it should be the same, no resort fee. I used the certificate and upon check in, the agent told me that no resort fee because I booked the stay on points. Point and cash bookings have resort fee though.
I called the hotel and they noted on the reservation that no resort fee is applicable. They said that was an "odd glitch" in the reservation system.

Lots of glitches going on recently.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Where do you want to go? Don't just pick a place to maximize the value. Find the best place to stay where you want to go.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Using it at The London NYC would IMHO be the next best thing to using it at the closed WA NYC until that reopens if you want to go to NYC.
I am looking at the London NYC for a trip in June. They are switching to Conrad later in the summer so their restaurant is closed . They said as diamond member I should get credit for breakfast but didnt day for how much.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by christianj
I would caution anyone considering the London NYC to read the FT thread. It is not a property I would currently even consider staying at. Maybe after renovation, but only if the management improves.

Conrad NYC is decent, though not a true luxury property. Hilton has very few true high end properties in the U.S. (W/A Beverly Hills being an exception, but also a very difficult redemption). Conrads in Asia are very good.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:31 am

I used my free cert this past NYE at WA LV. Great use as cash rates were $800+ (don't quite remember but close to that).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:53 am

Booked on the phone. My confirmation email lists the certificate # as below. Anyone have experience with this listing it as 50,000 points?

STANDARD ROOM REWARDHonors Reward ID: (Cert # here) 50000 Points per Night
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jabez
Booked on the phone. My confirmation email lists the certificate # as below. Anyone have experience with this listing it as 50,000 points?

STANDARD ROOM REWARDHonors Reward ID: (Cert # here) 50000 Points per Night
This is just how it works. The hotel sees this as a point redemption. Same for me, on a redemption last year at Conrad Hong Kong using the free night, the confirmation shows

Redemption Type:STANDARD ROOM REWARD
Honors Reward ID:123456789
Total Number of Points per Stay:80,000 Points

and when I checked in, the front desk clerk said that it was a points stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.