Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Port Moresby {PNG}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:32 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Arrow Hilton Port Moresby {PNG}

The Hilton Port Moresby is the newest hotel in Papua New Guinea's capital and is potentially the first true "international" quality hotel in the city. I was very impressed by the hotel overall, especially considering the location. As a Diamond I was upgraded to a top floor suite (my 2nd suite upgrade in 6 years of Diamond!), received a bottle of local ginger wine and was especially well looked after by all the staff. I even got a special thank you for my visit from the armed security force - I think word might have gotten around that I was a rare tourist in the city.

The hotel has a large and well managed Executive Lounge which plays host to what looks like a regular group of Australian professionals who obviously spend a lot of time in the hotel. There are multiple restaurants including the beautifully designed Mumu which attempts to bring traditional PNG food to an international audience - I didn't get a chance to try it, but I love the idea as local cuisines are so often overlooked. There's also a smallish pool which is a bit of a rarity in PNG, though when I was there a creepy Dutchman was entertaining some young local "friends" which is sadly an all too common sight in cities with a heavy NGO presence.

Overall, this hotel significantly exceeded my expectations for a Hilton in PNG, particularly having recently been to another hotel which considers itself the best hotel in the city. Port Moresby is not a city one visits voluntarily, but I would go out of my way to ensure I stay at the Hilton next time I am in town.
bitterproffit and BLazarus22 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Port Moresby is not a city one visits voluntarily, but I would go out of my way to ensure I stay at the Hilton next time I am in town.
Thanks for the info. I am actually considering going there voluntarily. How would you rate the area around the Hilton?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by TomMM
Thanks for the info. I am actually considering going there voluntarily. How would you rate the area around the Hilton?
The Hilton is in what apparently used to be one of the rougher areas of town. The (awesome) host who picked me up suggested a number of Hilton staff were from there and appeared super proud that their district would be hosting an international hotel. While I know that some tourists do walk around Port Moresby in the daytime by themselves, I personally would not at the moment (and probably not even with a guide apart from in very specific situations) - especially around the Hilton. I would note that I'm not especially risk adverse: I spent last night scaring off feral dogs with rocks and jumping over puddles in a hope of avoiding the current cholera and dengue outbreaks in Nauru.

If you're set on PNG, I really enjoyed New Ireland and Eastern New Britain is also quite safe at the moment (the area around Kimbe not so much apparently).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Quick one night stay here this week for me. The hotel offers an airport shuttle which is nice, the host was waiting for me just outside of security. The hotel itself is gorgeous, with new development surrounding it. Paid to upgrade to executive lounge access K120 (~$35 USD) which was well worth it. Didn't receive a better room but the lounge offerings were fantastic. Had dinner in the attached mumu restaurant which was also great. Internet was a little slow, but worked enough. Can't recommend this property enough.
Richmond_Surrey and RafKa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.