Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Award Stay- 5th Night Free- Must I Have Points for 5 Nights to Book?

Old Apr 1, 19, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I want to stay for 5 nights at a Hilton property. I am Hilton Gold. I have enough points in my HH account for 2 nights, and my spouse has enough points in his account for 2 nights. We want to use the 5th free night Gold benefit, which I understand to be a 20% discount on each night rather than the actual 5th night free.

I called and spoke to an HH agent, who did not know how this could be done. She said she has never heard of this as a Gold benefit, and the system wasn't allowing her to do anything with discounting each night by 20%.

I'm wondering if I need to actually have enough HH points in my (and my spouse's) accounts to cover the full "cost" of all five nights, and then Hilton will apply the 20% discount? Can I even combine points with my spouse? I knew I was able to do that before. Perhaps the agent was new.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:54 am

It isn't a 20% discount on each night, that's just how it sometimes shows up in the reservation system. If you're asking agents about a 20% discount they will not know what you're talking about.

In order to get the fifth night free, you'll need to reserve four nights on a single reservation from a single account. In order to do this, all of the points must come out of one account. I have never heard of a CSR pulling points from multiple accounts.
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:43 am

Yes, you will need to have all of the points in one account. And yes, you can still pool your points with your spouse. It's pretty simple and goes through in a matter of minutes.

https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...ive/index.html

To get the 5th night free, I think you have to make your reservation for five nights and the system will only charge you for the four-night points total. If you say you want four nights, then you will only get four nights. The hotel/reservation system has no way of knowing you want the fifth night if you don't specify that. This will be reflected with a discount on each day.

Last edited by kenbo; Apr 1, 19 at 10:51 am
Old Apr 1, 19, 10:53 am
Original Poster

So, Kenbo, I have to have enough points in one account for five nights to reserve 5 nights, and then the computer will adjust and return the points for one night. The problem is that we only have enough points for four nights right now.
Old Apr 1, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork View Post
...which I understand to be a 20% discount on each night rather than the actual 5th night free.
Your understanding is incorrect.
You only need enough points for four nights in one account. For example, if the nightly cost is 60K points, the cost for five nights is 240K points. The adjustment to the point cost is before you have to pay.
B3nder likes this.
Old Apr 1, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
So, Kenbo, I have to have enough points in one account for five nights to reserve 5 nights, and then the computer will adjust and return the points for one night. The problem is that we only have enough points for four nights right now.
No, you will be fine. It will only ask you for the total number of points you need with the 5th night free.
Old Apr 1, 19, 11:06 am

No, you only need enough points for four nights, but you have to make your reservation for five nights. The hotel will not assume you want the fifth night if you make a reservation for only four nights.

For example, I just went through the process to make a 4-night reservation and a 5-night reservation at a Hilton. They both showed the amount of points needed for four nights. When you look at your cost breakdown, you will see that daily discounted price for each night, but the points will add up to the total for four nights.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:14 pm

Related question, with the "dynamic" pricing of Hilton award nights, is the "5th" night actually free, or do they just reprice the nights to be 20% off the total?
Old Apr 9, 19, 5:29 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
Related question, with the "dynamic" pricing of Hilton award nights, is the "5th" night actually free, or do they just reprice the nights to be 20% off the total?
I guess it doesn't really matter. I just booked hotel which was 80K per night for five nights and it was 320K points. So yes in my mind I am paying 64K points per night so 20 percent off, but I can't get that rate for a single night. Likewise, if one wanted a six night stay, I would pay 400K points which would come to 66.667K points per stay. I assume if I wanted a ten night stay I would end up with two nights free or 640K points for stay.
Old Apr 9, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
5th night is free, so sometimes you lose or win, depending if it's more expensive than other nights or cheaper. Of course, it can be the same prices, depends on the circumstances.
Old Apr 9, 19, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
5th night is free, so sometimes you lose or win, depending if it's more expensive than other nights or cheaper. Of course, it can be the same prices, depends on the circumstances.
Thanks for the clarification. That is good to know that it will help shifting dates around.
Old Apr 9, 19, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
yes...if booking a reward stay of 6-9 nights, being strategic about the number of bookings and days can yield savings. Need that fifth night to be the most expensive one!