Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Would checking-in and out the same day considered a qualifying stay?

Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:24 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum

I am doing a status run and need 2 stays, but I have already booked my stays with another hotel chain, so I thought I would book 2 cheap Hilton for 1 night each (different night) near my hotel, then pop in to check-in and check-out right away so I do not need to go back there the next day to check-out. Just curious if checking-in and out the same day would count as a qualifying stay? Thanks a lot for any input
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You don't need to check out in person, just use the facilities for a bit and then leave. They will check you out at the normal check out time.

If you haven't already paid, ask to pay when checking in, or make sure they authorize your credit card so that they can take payment when you (don't) check out.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by :D!
You don't need to check out in person, just use the facilities for a bit and then leave. They will check you out at the normal check out time.

If you haven't already paid, ask to pay when checking in, or make sure they authorize your credit card so that they can take payment when you (don't) check out.
Thanks for the input, this gives me hope

I have never leave without checking-out in person, so this could be a dumb question (please bear with me), but what to do with the keycard? Can I check-in and not accept the keycard, or is there a keycard drop box I just drop it in right after checking-in? Or I am to leave the keycard at the front desk upon leaving and maybe tell them I am not coming back (would this be strange?)
I am a little worried about not checking-out in person, in case they charge me for over-stay. By the way, it would be Hilton Garden Inn I am thinking of booking the stays, and it will be prepaid stay with a credit card.

Thanks again for advise
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Juntima
Thanks for the input, this gives me hope

I have never leave without checking-out in person, so this could be a dumb question (please bear with me), but what to do with the keycard? Can I check-in and not accept the keycard, or is there a keycard drop box I just drop it in right after checking-in? Or I am to leave the keycard at the front desk upon leaving and maybe tell them I am not coming back (would this be strange?)
I am a little worried about not checking-out in person, in case they charge me for over-stay. By the way, it would be Hilton Garden Inn I am thinking of booking the stays, and it will be prepaid stay with a credit card.

Thanks again for advise

I always make sure I do what needs to be done checking in so that I can just leave the hotel without further action required. I don't have time or patience for check-out lines!

As a kindness, just make sure you don't leave a Do Not Disturb card on your door. You can leave key cards in your room. Though really, nobody cares about the keys.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
You could also look at day rates which should also qualify and might be a bit cheaper too.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Leave the key card on the desk. If you're concerned, call the hotel before checkout time to inform the front desk that you already left earlier in the morning. I wouldn't do anything to call attention to the fact that you haven't spent the night in the hotel or don't plan to do so (such as refusing the key card or immediately dropping it in the box). You might want to also mess up the bed and use a towel in the bathroom so that it's not real obvious that the room wasn't occupied.

Not all chains count day rates as stays or give night credit for such day use, so check the Hilton T&Cs carefully.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I always make sure I do what needs to be done checking in so that I can just leave the hotel without further action required. I don't have time or patience for check-out lines!

As a kindness, just make sure you don't leave a Do Not Disturb card on your door. You can leave key cards in your room. Though really, nobody cares about the keys.
Ah I see, yes I could just leave the keycard in the room, stupid me. I will do that, thanks
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by englisha
You could also look at day rates which should also qualify and might be a bit cheaper too.
I have already booked night stays
I will remember that if I ever need to do this again, thanks
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
I haven't physically checked out of a US hotel in years. International locations I do though. I have left the night before many times with no issues getting stay credit. As everyone said just leave the keys.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Leave the key card on the desk. If you're concerned, call the hotel before checkout time to inform the front desk that you already left earlier in the morning. I wouldn't do anything to call attention to the fact that you haven't spent the night in the hotel or don't plan to do so (such as refusing the key card or immediately dropping it in the box). You might want to also mess up the bed and use a towel in the bathroom so that it's not real obvious that the room wasn't occupied.

Not all chains count day rates as stays or give night credit for such day use, so check the Hilton T&Cs carefully.
Yes I am a little concern whether not spending the night breaks any terms or not, and they might not count my stay

I will try to mess the room a bit, thanks for the tips. Thing is I have arranged an airport pick-up with the other hotel and thought of asking the driver to stop by this Hilton so I could run in (certainly a status run...) to do the check-in and all. I guess I will have to be quick to complete this mission. Hope I do not do anything too suspicious. I need to do this again for the second night for the second stay. Fingers crossed
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Yes I am a little concern whether not spending the night breaks any terms or not, and they might not count my stay

I will try to mess the room a bit, thanks for the tips. Thing is I have arranged an airport pick-up with the other hotel and thought of asking the driver to stop by this Hilton so I could run in (certainly a status run...) to do the check-in and all. I guess I will have to be quick to complete this mission. Hope I do not do anything too suspicious. I need to do this again for the second night for the second stay. Fingers crossed
I had no problem checking in at a Curio Collection in Playa del Carmen last september and ater she checked me in and sorted the payment I told her that I wouldn't be staying because my plans changed but I was checking in for the stay/points/night credit.

Yes, dayrates count towards Hilton Honors status.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I suggest you actually go into the room. Anyway unless the hotel uses actual keys, they don't really care about the cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.