Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Pool closed for ‘private event’ in property that charges resort fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pool closed for ‘private event’ in property that charges resort fee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
sounds like the Hilton Hawaiian village. they do this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
In fairness to either the hotel or HH, I have no idea, but I've yet to get the shaft by either in past experience. I recall the HI calling me from ANC day of arrival, and I was so ready to get upset, until they mentioned they booked me in a pretty incredible room at the ES. Sad that I couldn't enjoy it with a late arrival and early departure that morning. From memory HH has done ok by me, and I've. never complained, maybe I'm blessed? That said a Diamond friend got the shaft one time in ORD, despite his multi year status of Diamond and huge spend.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:01 pm

In my opinion its unfair to pay for the private event party via your resort fee and then being asked to go to another Hilton property. I think Hilton could waive the resort fee automatically without asking questions and offering a bonus like Breakfast or Drink Vouchers etc. At least for one night they could do this. Its illegal to charge for an amenity that is not available considered false advertising. Having to travel off property does take time out of your vacation. How far is the sister property?
muji likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by danielonn
In my opinion its unfair to pay for the private event party via your resort fee...
OP didn't say the pool was mentioned as a benefit of the resort fee.

If he wants to ask for some customer consideration element because the closure was material, fine. That's a better avenue than complaining about resort fees because you dislike them in principle.
iluv2fly and birdiedouble like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the pool is one of the resort fee items, then this is easy. The fee ought to be refunded. If the pool is not one of those items, then I would still ask for a refund of some kind and not link it to the resort fee.

In any event, just like almost all issues of this type, this is best dealt with on the spot.

We need not parse whether this particular OP was inconvenience. The purpose of a resort is not to run on a schedule and thus, having the pool available during its posted hours is part of the reason to go to a resort.

Properties make a lot of money off private events, particularly ones large enough to justify closing off a key area. No reason for one guest to subsidize another's stay.
iluv2fly, isle-hawg and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I stay often at a Hilton property that has a lot of weddings on weekends, and they close the pool regularly for the event or pictures. I find it rather annoying, but otherwise the property is fine. If possible I try to stay during the week, if at all possible.

Another property closed down the whole pool area for a day for an MTV Asia event. Just a flyer in the room the day before.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:43 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:35 pm

This is a situation that depends very much on talking to the right person (the front desk manager on a weekday morning would be my port of call.) and not rubbing them the wrong way. If you get this right, they might throw you a bone by waiving a day's resort fee, or comping a buffet breakfast etc. Try to force the issue by implying or asserting that they broke some kind of a contract, and you will likely lose. If the pool is specifically mentioned in the description of what the resort fee covers, it won't give you the hours or days the pool is available. So, if the pool is unavailable for part of your stay, you haven't a leg to stand on. You could always try your luck with the Diamond Desk or Guest Assistance after you check out. Again, the outcome will depend on the person with whom you speak.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by andset1191
I’m not a fan of resort fees as it is. Indeed the benefits at this property are for Internet, water, morning coffee, local calls and kids eating free.

Would you complain?
Don't understand how they can get away with that "kids eat free" benefit. That's not a benefit at all, it's more like an offer by the restaurant. Also, when I'm in the U.S, I can get unlimited national phonecalls and practically unlimited internet for less than two nights of resort fees. Did you have to pay for parking as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.