Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton brands to recycle used soap

Old Mar 19, 19, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Story here.

I think this is a great idea, but 1 million seems like a really small number - unless that is the number of newly created bars, and not the number taken out of rooms by housekeeping.

It appears to be limited to the HGI, Hampton, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, and Home2Suites.

I am sure that housekeepers must think terrible things about me because I try to only ever open one bar of soap, and just grab it out of the shower when I need to wash my hands... but I can't stand the idea of spending one night in a room and having two nearly-new bars of soap go to the landfill.
secondsoprano and MoodyB like this.
Old Mar 19, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
I think you will find you need 10 or so Hilton soap bars to make one normal size bar.
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I bring my very own soap!
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I am sure that housekeepers must think terrible things about me because I try to only ever open one bar of soap, and just grab it out of the shower when I need to wash my hands... but I can't stand the idea of spending one night in a room and having two nearly-new bars of soap go to the landfill.
I do the same. But it never occurred to me that housekeeping staff would think I'm unhygienic.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
They should have started doing this 20 years ago.

My wife likes opening the soap bars on all our one-night stays, which I have felt is a waste. On my own I just use the shampoo to wash my hands (sometimes I have my own soap too).

I prefer using soap out of a dispenser anyway, it can still be a good brand in a standalone bottle unlike the Hampton style.
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: HH D; IHG G
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
They should have started doing this 20 years ago.
Is this new? Or just recycled publicity?

November 08, 2011 08:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
MCLEAN, Va.-- Hilton Worldwide today announced a partnership with the Global Soap Project, a nonprofit organization that recovers and recycles soap from hotels that would otherwise end up in landfills.
By the way, always carry my used soap along to the next hotel - it's not much extra weight. Also bring along my own reusable $5 bath flip flops & don't use the bath robe when the stay is for one night only.
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:44 pm

I don't know why more Hilton's don't have the C&E branded soap and shower gel in the large bottles on the wall next to the sink and shower. This is really well done at Tower Hill DT London.
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:58 pm

Am I the only person who avoids the liquid shower gel because I find the lather / soap difficult to wash off in the shower - far harder than the lather produced by a bar of soap.
Old Mar 22, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I bring my very own soap!
I do the exact opposite - I take the (unopened) hotel soap home with me. Haven't purchased soap at home in close to 10 years
Old Mar 22, 19, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I bring my own soap because I don't always like what the hotel provides and I refuse to use the public stuff in the big bottles attached to shower walls. I take nice hotel toiletries as souvenirs (to bring on future trips, for example) and when too much builds up at home, I donate the stuff to a shelter for battered women.
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Gold/Plat - Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by residentx View Post
I don't know why more Hilton's don't have the C&E branded soap and shower gel in the large bottles on the wall next to the sink and shower. This is really well done at Tower Hill DT London.
Maybe I am just paranoid but I don't like using the refillable wall dispensers because I wonder what some previous guest might have added to the container (I will avoid specifics).
People do a lot of disgusting things in hotel rooms.
redeyedonkey and Mike B like this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by puchong View Post
Am I the only person who avoids the liquid shower gel because I find the lather / soap difficult to wash off in the shower - far harder than the lather produced by a bar of soap.
Yes!!!
Old Mar 24, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Platinum
I am glad they are trying this because I have talked to hotel cleaning ladies, and they tell me that cleaning a hotel room and finding soaps that have been opened but still appear unused, well, that is a daily occurence. Obviously such soaps can not ever be left behind in the room to be found by the next guest, so there are a lot of nearly unused soap bars being thrown out.

Re: the idea of donating the surplus mini soaps and shampoos, on Facebook a lot of people said they do that. I've been on the hotel supply websites and you can buy the mini hotel soaps and shampoos for maybe 25 each in bulk.
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:53 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I used to be addicted to soap but I’m clean now !