Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond Members do you pay the upgrade fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Members do you pay the upgrade fee?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If someone is new to a situation, it can be incredibly helpful to understand how experienced people view that situation.
In areas such as this, understanding how others on FT "view that situation" is of incredibly limited value and is highly overrated. Particularly unless you are getting responses from people that match your economic situation and your value system. For example, if the responses are coming from people that can afford to just "buy the upgrade" and not think twice about it, but the OP doesn't have the financial ability to swing that, it's largely irrelevant to their circumstance.

IMHO, "is it worth it" threads on FT are a colossal waste of time. Only the individual paying the bill can determine "worth."

Regards
Andriyko and BlueZebra like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:47 pm

Generally, I don't pay for upgrades unless the circumstances warrant (e.g., number of travelers in the party, unusual amenities or HHV over the holidays as others have echoed in this thread) or when the value is particularly compelling (which it usually isn't). I'll also note that at a few properties, I've not been offered a free upgrade, but asked to pay for the next step up...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
In areas such as this, understanding how others on FT "view that situation" is of incredibly limited value and is highly overrated. Particularly unless you are getting responses from people that match your economic situation and your value system. For example, if the responses are coming from people that can afford to just "buy the upgrade" and not think twice about it, but the OP doesn't have the financial ability to swing that, it's largely irrelevant to their circumstance.
Based on that view, any thread on FlyerTalk that even remotely relates to money is of incredibly limited value and highly overrated? That's silly.

You seem to be assuming that the people asking questions are unable to use critical thinking when reading responses. No one is going to interpret "I never pay for upgrades" as gospel. And no one is going to buy an upgrade if they can't afford to do it.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I don't. I just hope for the best at checkin, but I don't spend that much time in the room.

It's airline upgrades I find the most value in.
lcohen999, more4less and Msafiritx like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:10 am

Based on that view, any thread on FlyerTalk that even remotely relates to money is of incredibly limited value and highly overrated? That's silly.

You seem to be assuming that the people asking questions are unable to use critical thinking when reading responses. No one is going to interpret "I never pay for upgrades" as gospel. And no one is going to buy an upgrade if they can't afford to do it.
Actually, there are countless (likely daily) examples on FT of people that lack critical thinking skills.

I'm not "assuming" anything about anyone, other than leveraging my observations of thousands and thousands of similar posts on FT over many years.

I'm quite comfortable with my statement; "worth" questions are specific to the individual and people ought to be plenty capable of thinking through that and making a decision in their own best interest.

Whether you agree with me or not, frankly I'm afraid I couldn't care less.

Regards
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I do it when I know I want a large suite. I've done it a few times after booking a standard award.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:30 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you want to guarantee a certain room type then pay. Otherwise just hope for the best or beg at check-in.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Whether you agree with me or not, frankly I'm afraid I couldn't care less.
Likewise. I was merely answering your initial question. Of course, you are certainly free to dismiss all the responses provided by well-meaning people who were kind enough to answer the OP's question.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:04 am

Likewise. I was merely answering your initial question. Of course, you are certainly free to dismiss all the responses provided by well-meaning people who were kind enough to answer the OP's question.
Well, actually I considered my perspective "well meaning" even though it's not your perspective. I shared my perspective, others have shared theirs and the OP can choose. That is diversity of thought.

You,on the other hand, actually haven't shared any perspective on the actual OPs questions; it seems you just came here to debate me. You now have three posts in this thread, all directed at me, not the OPs query.

Do you actually have any actionable response or advice for the OP? Or did you just come to argue with me?

Regards
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Actually, I find Writerguyfl posts to be generally helpful. On the other hand, you seem to be condescending both to the average FT user, and the OP.

If, as you say, it’s a colossal waste of time to respond to “Is it worth it” threads, it’s interesting that have so many posts in this thread.

I find no problem with the OP’s question. Give your opinion or don’t. Don’t blather on about critical thinking skills, and branching off from the subject of the thread.

I have never purchased an upgrade at a Hilton property. Properties that I visit regularly upgrade me to suites already. I might consider it at other properties if I had a real need for a better room.

Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
FWIW, I find this to be a completely valid question that a new Diamond - or even someone new to seeing the NOR1 offers - would ask.

The program advertises upgrades to some extent, so it's natural to wonder why NOR1 would offer a Diamond a $20 paid upgrade to something that isn't a suite, sometimes alongside more expensive upgrades to suites. People can share their experiences with what the typical Diamond "upgrade" really looks like vs. what you almost certainly aren't going to get for free at check-in.

The NOR1 software does not appear to know what your status is. I've long thought the system would make more sense if it did, and still show the suites as an option you can pay to confirm ahead of your stay. Since it shows those lame $20 "upgrades" that a Diamond should never have to pay for, it is confusing when you see it for the first time.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
FWIW, I find this to be a completely valid question that a new Diamond - or even someone new to seeing the NOR1 offers - would ask.

The program advertises upgrades to some extent, so it's natural to wonder why NOR1 would offer a Diamond a $20 paid upgrade to something that isn't a suite, sometimes alongside more expensive upgrades to suites. People can share their experiences with what the typical Diamond "upgrade" really looks like vs. what you almost certainly aren't going to get for free at check-in.

The NOR1 software does not appear to know what your status is. I've long thought the system would make more sense if it did, and still show the suites as an option you can pay to confirm ahead of your stay. Since it shows those lame $20 "upgrades" that a Diamond should never have to pay for, it is confusing when you see it for the first time.
I think it's obvious that some properties make the effort to programme the free upgrades and others don't. It is really a missed opportunity as if the upgrade fees took into account the initial likely starting upgrade zero cost they would be more attractive to diamonds and perhaps more often taken up.

Sadly most properties make little effort with it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pinniped
I think NOR1 does know that you have some sort of upgrade due from status, usually the first level upgrade is marked as free, and then suites (etc) at a paid for price.

Though like others, in theory I would pay extra via NOR1 once in a while for very particular reasons, in reality I tend to book the lowest room which is acceptable, and then see what happens. The only occasion I can recall doing NOR1 was for a San Diego hotel which gave a balcony with seaviews and people watching potential. That worked well until the hotel decided very late on to give another upgrade - by their definition - on top, to a room with heaps of space(which we didn't need) but no balcony. Luckily they were very swift to reverse the upgrade and all was well. Otherwise I don't both looking at NOR1, let alone set anything on it even when "free".
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
I don't see it as much as I used to and that is when the hotel upgrades you, usually the day before and the Nor1 will show possible upgrades based on the new room they have given you. As an example I would be upgraded to an exec room at Hilton Cairns (AUS) and the Nor1 would show a suite for an extra $60, recently this has showed a few times at Sydney Hilton as well when a relaxation room upgrade was showing and the suite was an extra $80.

I have not used this feature for many years and now prefer to spend extra on a higher category hire car considering I spend most of the day exploring and back at the hotel asleep in the room at night.

Last edited by ozztraveller; Mar 19, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:46 pm

do not pay for an upgrade fee. call the hotel directly first before you book.
redeyedonkey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.