Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Was I being unreasonable - echeck-in/room type change -- walk?

Was I being unreasonable - echeck-in/room type change -- walk?

Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And why does someone need a first-class seat on a plane if they are not 7 feet tall?
My, aren't you clever?

Because the difference is FAR more marked when you're talking about air travel. You pay a lot more, and you get many more services. Any idiot can see that.
The ONLY difference in the room types (in most of these chain hotels) is the type of bed.

So my question remains: why is this so important that one would insist on being walked to another hotel? That's way more trouble than just sleeping in a double bed.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hotturnip
My, aren't you clever?

Because the difference is FAR more marked when you're talking about air travel. You pay a lot more, and you get many more services. Any idiot can see that.
The ONLY difference in the room types (in most of these chain hotels) is the type of bed.

So my question remains: why is this so important that one would insist on being walked to another hotel? That's way more trouble than just sleeping in a double bed.
Several reasons:
- Most importantly, I sleep terribly in small beds.
- I reserved a particular type of room (not "run of house"), and I want what I reserved. No different than if I go to a restaurant order a burger get served chicken -- it may be the same price, it may still be food, and the chicken may be "better", but presumably I ordered the burger because I wanted a burger.
- I would not have booked at that hotel had they not offered the bed type I desired. [I think I looked at a nearby property that had a lower rate and was only offering doubles and passed on it but that may have been a different stay in a different city I booked around the same time]
- There was, if I recall correctly, a slight price premium for the room type I reserved. ($20 or so)

The "walking" part comes down to the FDA's attitude and insistence on blaming the hotel's problem on me. Had the hotel accepted responsibility for screwing up the room assignment and especially had they offered anything to show they were sorry--preferably before I called them on it, I would have been in a more forgiving mood. But when it comes to the point of blaming be, despite evidence to the contrary, and insisting I was "changing my mind" -- I'm willing to take some inconvenience.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I am with the OP, I book a King room because I want a king room not 2 doubles.

If I booked late or without my preferred bed type I would roll with it (although I would normally expect my preference to be honoured as part of an upgrade). If I booked a room type and was given a different room type I would not accept it and hold the property responsible for the costs of the room type I wanted in a comparable property in a comparable location.

Where does this stop? Book a suite and end up with a single bed room but pay full price?
craig44485 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:10 pm

Sometimes things happen and the hotel should explain at check-in why things were changed. I just had a stay at Home2 where I reserved a 1-bedroom king and was given keys to a king studio. I was so tired I hadn't even noticed or remembered I'd reserved a 1-bedroom - it was only when I woke up the next day I wondered if the room was considered a 1-bedroom (it had some weird curtain to pull between the bed and sofa area) or was it a studio? I also checked to see what room type I was charged for....and then when I went down for breakfast, I asked if I was in a studio or 1-bedroom and the rep said "studio", so then I asked why I was put in a studio when I booked a 1-bedroom and why I was being charged for a 1-bedroom when I was in a studio and she seemed stumped and went to ask the manager.....they were very apologetic and said the person who was on the night before made a mistake, so they credited my credit card back the difference plus something like $50 for the error. I've been Diamond for years and never had that happen before, but appreciated the apology and the extra credit....not sure I'd be as 'whatever' if I'd been stuck with two double beds though, I simply look elsewhere if the only bedding available is two doubles!
lincolnjkc and craig44485 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Several reasons:
- Most importantly, I sleep terribly in small beds.
- I reserved a particular type of room (not "run of house"), and I want what I reserved. No different than if I go to a restaurant order a burger get served chicken -- it may be the same price, it may still be food, and the chicken may be "better", but presumably I ordered the burger because I wanted a burger.
- I would not have booked at that hotel had they not offered the bed type I desired. [I think I looked at a nearby property that had a lower rate and was only offering doubles and passed on it but that may have been a different stay in a different city I booked around the same time]
- There was, if I recall correctly, a slight price premium for the room type I reserved. ($20 or so)

The "walking" part comes down to the FDA's attitude and insistence on blaming the hotel's problem on me. Had the hotel accepted responsibility for screwing up the room assignment and especially had they offered anything to show they were sorry--preferably before I called them on it, I would have been in a more forgiving mood. But when it comes to the point of blaming be, despite evidence to the contrary, and insisting I was "changing my mind" -- I'm willing to take some inconvenience.
Thank you,OP.

That was a reasonable answer to what was a sincere question. I've known people who preferred king beds, but I couldn't imagine that it would be so important that you would want to switch hotels. When I read your story initially I thought that you went down to the desk with the idea of asking to be walked--I didn't realize that was a reaction to the obnoxious desk clerk.

It all makes more sense now.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I book and reserve a King room, if they don t deliver I walk. Period. Once I had to take a twin with Hilton (and there was no chance to go to another hotel) - after my complain they send me a system wide voucher.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:52 am

I'm really confused by this notion that the bed type is nothing but a "preference" when you're selecting and booking a specific room type.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
100% agree with the OP for both (a) getting the bed type booked and (b) the attitude of the FDA.

I'm traveling with my mother in a couple of months, and we've booked all of our rooms with two beds. I've even indicated in the booking with the 50 characters or so I get "if you upgrade us please keep 2 beds." If we check in and the opposite happens to us as did the OP, and we get one king, nope, not going to work. I'll ask to be walked, or, in lieu of that, a second room comped. Not because "you've messed up my reservation, I want free free free!" but because I've booked 2 beds.

As far as the attitude of the FDA, well, I read the "Tales from the Front Desk" thread on Reddit, and there are a lot of lying jerk customers out there, but that doesn't describe the OP at all. Especially when (a) the FDA was wrong and (b) the OP was able to show him proof of the hotel - not him - changing the room type. I'd expect at least a sincere apology.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.