Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking on standard room paid rate - convert to points later

Old Mar 10, 19, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Does Hilton program allow converting paid rate reservation into rewards night later on? Say I booked a 4 night res on a standard reward room that normally cost 50K Hilton points, on a flexible member rate, then later on can I call and convert it to a 200K award stay?
Old Mar 10, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
Does Hilton program allow converting paid rate reservation into rewards night later on? Say I booked a 4 night res on a standard reward room that normally cost 50K Hilton points, on a flexible member rate, then later on can I call and convert it to a 200K award stay?
Unless it's changed, only if the room is available on points at that time. Several years ago we had a multi-night stay planned without enough points, so an agent "helpfully" booked us some paid nights and said they could be converted to award nights. No award nights were available even after we canceled the standard room we'd booked with $.
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
As mentioned there is no guarantee there will be award availability, but in any case you would simply be cancelling the paid stay and rebooking with points, right? There's no "converting" involved.
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
As mentioned there is no guarantee there will be award availability, but in any case you would simply be cancelling the paid stay and rebooking with points, right? There's no "converting" involved.
Unless OP is on some odd prepaid rate or is past the cancellation deadline. But, the same principle applies, e.g., one cancels the cash-paid room and books the room on points. Whether there is a refund and, if so, how much, will depend on the rate at which the OP booked.
Old Mar 11, 19, 5:17 pm

"Conversion"

Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
Hilton regards hat you describe is a 'conversion'as the cancellation of your cash reservation and the booking of a points stay. If when you want to make the 'conversion' there are rooms available as standard rewards, you can book them, and, if you haven't left it too late, cancel your cash booking without penalty.

Things can get tricky if the standard room rewards aren't available when you want to make the 'conversion'. In that case, if you cancel your original reservation, the room MAY then be available as a standard room reward. However, there are a host of reasons the room may not then be available to book for points or cash. The hotel maybe overbooked, or overbooked in that room category, the hotel may decide to hold back some rooms to release them nearer the check-in date at a higher cost, some else may be booking when you are and grabbed one or more of the nights you need. The list goes on. The frustrating part is that not only can't anybody in a call center see whether any of these things are happening, but there are also a tiny number of people at properties (in many cases, only one, who doesn't take calls), increasingly owners and managers tell their staff that one of the things they pay for as a Hilton hotel is access to the company's revenue management software and they do not want anybody to alter what it makes available or when.
Old Jul 8, 19, 7:08 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
This is so frustrating. I did that with a stay today at the WA Amsterdam since space availability is so low - I went on and grabbed two rooms at a standard rate. I called the Diamond desk to confirm that I could convert to a point stay when my points show back up after I cancel another trip. They said yes I could. I also asked the identical question on the online chat. So frustrating that they both gave me wrong info.