Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cancelled after OLCI charged for night

Cancelled after OLCI charged for night

Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
The clerks were clear that once I did OLCI, I paid for the first night.
The clerks are not correct. If you have requested Digital Key, once that key is made a available the the hotel automatically puts a hold on your credit card for the expected amount. But if hotel never puts through a final charge that hold goes away.

I have had to cancel after doing OLCI a few times due to airline irrops, and have always called the hotel and always been accommodated (even inside the cancellation deadline). I watch my credit card account and the hold goes away in a few days.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
And that is why I didn't argue with her. I just thanked her and made sure she had cancelled the second night as well. Then I called the Gold desk and they were able to straighten it out on the phone.

I won't request the digital key until I am at the property in the future.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
This happened to me at the Residence Inn in Boston/Brookline. Same exact scenario. Did OLCI when it became available... flights got cancelled due to weather. Called the hotel - nothing they could do, I had officially, "checked-in" and it couldnt be cancelled. Asked to speak with the manager on duty - he said the same thing. Wouldnt budge.

Submitted a complaint in writing to the executive response team, had my money refunded within 48 hours.

Now, I don't do an OLCI until i've landed at the airport. Why risk it, ya know?
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have to agree with the uselessness of OLCI. I tried it once on the day of arrival (but at a NOT-digital key hotel). When I checked in, the agent gave me a different room. When I pointed out that I did OLCI, he told me that the guests in the room I had selected decided to stay an extra night. After that experience, I decided not to do OLCI again.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:36 pm

As others have said, the best thing about this thread is that it confirms my prior experience with Honors -- if you call the hotel directly and explain that circumstances beyond your control prevent you from checking in, even after the cancellation deadline, you will normally be allowed to cancel without penalty. It's not something the hotel is required to do, but the few times I've had to do this over the last 20 years or so, I've really appreciated it.

Take a look at the St. Regis Aspen thread on the Marriott board if you want to see the opposite way of doing business.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:30 pm

Just had the exact situation: did OLCI, then cancelled the room within the deadline, and got charged a cancellation fee. Will never do OLCI again.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Just had the exact situation: did OLCI, then cancelled the room within the deadline, and got charged a cancellation fee. Will never do OLCI again.
What kind of cancellation terms did you have and when did you cancel the room relative to that? I don't think I've ever been offered OLCI prior to the time that the cancellation penalty apply.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
What kind of cancellation terms did you have and when did you cancel the room relative to that? I don't think I've ever been offered OLCI prior to the time that the cancellation penalty apply.
I often get cancellation terms with the night before arrival. So if I check in on 20 April, the last time for cancellation would be 23:59 on 19 April. Typically OLCI opens for me around midday the day before arrival, so there is a 12 hour potential overlap. At resort locations a 2 or 3 day leadtime on free cancellation would be the norm, but city / business locations often on shorter times, thanks to competitive pressures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.