Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can I have 2 bookings in different cities on the same night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

I have made the bookings. My question is more focused on making sure it's ok and Hilton won't do anything weird like check me out of Hotel 1 when I check in to Hotel 2.

I have a room in Sacramento for 6 nights, booked via corporate TA. I intend to go into San Francisco for 1 night (booked direct with points) in the middle of my 6 night Sacramento booking. I will then return to Sacramento and complete my stay.

Is this ok? Obviously both rooms are booked and paid for so I don't see why Hilton would care.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:38 pm

You'll be fine in the sense that you won't be checked out of hotel 1 when you check into hotel 2. You can be checked into both hotels at once.

But you won't get Honors points or stay or nights credit for the one night stay in the middle. You'll have to email or call in to get that and explain what happened. In my case, I have checked into one hotel with my wife and then have had to go to another city for work, with my wife staying in the original city for the rest of the planned stay. Once I wrote in and explained (to [email protected]), I got the points for the stay in the second city. I've never asked for additional stay or night credits, just the points.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Hotel 2 was booked with "Points and Money". The money part was $50, so I guess I could follow up and try to get the points related to that spend but I won't lose any sleep over it
I just didnt want to be checked out of Hotel 1 when checking into Hotel 2.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
If one has overlapping stays, what is the best way to ensure that one gets the stay credit for the second one?

I have a cheap two-night stay in city A, the second night of which is also the first night of an expensive longer stay in city B. (My companion will be checking in first in city B, then I will join on the second day.) It would be nice to get the points and nights for the second stay while still enjoying Diamond benefits at least for the first, even if I am willing to forego the stay credit in city A. Unfortunately there are no non-Hilton options in city A, and the Diamond benefits at that property are solid.

I assume that by default the first stay would credit and preclude credit for the entire second stay, even for the nights that didn't overlap? I might get lucky and the second stay would post first, therefore precluding credit for the first, but of course I don't want to count on that.

I ended up booking the first stay in city A without my Honors number, so I will sacrifice the benefits for that stay. I will be staying in both places, with the exception of the first night in city B, so this is probably the best approach to not abuse the program in addition to maximizing nights and points. Any other course of action?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
I often have overlapping stays.

Jan 1 to Jan 3 hotel A Jan 2nd depart around 6pm.
Jan 2 to Jan 4 hotel B Jan 2nd check in 10pm.

80% 2 stays and 4 nights will credit automatically. 20% email folio for the short stay credit and it's fixed.

for me the extra hotel time without late check out annoyance makes sense
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
From reading previous FT threads on this topic, it seems to be possible that you'd get the credit for the stay you check out of first (i.e. the shorter one) and not the longer one, in which case you need to get Hilton to fix it.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
The other option is to book two reservations for city B. On res for the overlap night and then another res for the rest of the stay. This would mean literally checking out of the same hotel and checking in again (luggage and all) so I like nismo's suggestion better.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by karatelovr
The other option is to book two reservations for city B. On res for the overlap night and then another res for the rest of the stay. This would mean literally checking out of the same hotel and checking in again (luggage and all) so I like nismo's suggestion better.
Good suggestion, thanks. I assume that if I showed up to check in for the second reservation in city B, I could just ask to join it to the first reservation and stay in the same room that my companion had already checked in to (this would work well in my case because I will be arriving in the morning, before check-out time). But then the folio may show them as one stay, defeating the purpose, though I could probably ask the front desk to close the first reservation, pay the bill, and start anew with the second reservation.

Of course, I ended up cancelling both trips in this case so won't be able to test this approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.